The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

After reading about how bad the cooldown effect was on the forums, I decided to log in for the first time after the patch just to see how bad it really was.

It's not even THAT bad. What heck people. I was expecting like some bright, white colored flashing seizure effect. <_>

As a Jedi Sage every ability flashes every 1.5 seconds during combat. Having 3 action bars of my own abilities and one for a companion full of flashing abilities it causes a headache for me. Some people have more sensitive vision. There is no need to disrespect others just because you are not affected in the same way.

That's one thing that amazes me... seeing all of the responses from people who think just because they don't have an issue no one else is allowed to.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt need to be super uber bright for a bunch of us. The mere rapid flashing of it does it for me.

And the fact that it's so much brighter than nearly everything around it.

I have to keep my monitors dim because of how bright things are to me and how easily that brightness can cause my eyes to hurt and make it hard for me to focus properly.

It's something I was born with. It's not going away. Normally I am fully able to adapt to make things easier for me (turning gamma way down, brightness, etcetcetc) but to compensate properly for this I'd have to make the rest of the game almost dark.

How is that fair to me? Especially when it was basically fine before. Albeit the UI in general is terrible, but seriously.

Bioware should quickly figure out who to listen to between those complaining and those that like the change. Besides complaints far outnumbering support, the complainers explain their problems whereas the supporters complain about the people who explain their problems.

Damn some people are really overreacting.

Previous version was better i agree, but this is nowhere near as bad as some here make it to be, at first i didn't even notice the difference and once i did it didn't take much time to get used to it.

As for seizures, headaches...you people serious?! :rolleyes:

Anyways if it's such a problem for so many people i am sure it's not going to take long to correct it.

Personally i don't have any problems with this.

Edited by Vlacke

I've just logged on and played for about 10 mins and I could not stand this. It is hurting my eyes and causing motion sickness. I have a feeling I"m going to see flashes in my sleep!!

Please revert back to the old way of showing CDs. I cannot play for a long session on this. If this remains permanently, I'll have to regretfully cancel my account.

Previous version was better i agree, but this is nowhere near as bad as some here make it to be, at first i didn't even notice the difference and once i did it didn't take much time to get used to it.

Anyways if it's such a problem for so many people i am sure it's not going to take long to correct it.

Yep, Im serious. I honestly love the game, and have very few issues with it. This, however, is major to me because nothing should be causing physical pain. If it was just me, I'd say its obviously just how Im reacting and deal, but it seems that its more than just a few.

Im just going to not log back on til they fix it again, which i hope they do.

Personally i don't have any problems with this.

Why do YOU even care how it is affecting others if you see no issues? Who are you to determine how bad it is affecting anyone other than yourself? When you decide to pay our sub fees, I guess we can all let you determine how bad something is or isn't for the rest of us.

Another poster already broke your myth that "People like it in game." Sorry to burst your bubble. You can continue to make unfounded statements though. We'll continue to poke holes in them.

He's just trolling by not even recognising the other side. Flag and move on.

After reading about how bad the cooldown effect was on the forums, I decided to log in for the first time after the patch just to see how bad it really was.

It's not even THAT bad. What heck people. I was expecting like some bright, white colored flashing seizure effect. <_>

Made me a little dizzy after playing PvE for like 10 minutes. Deffinitely worse than before. Don't remember any game that I played before had a less functioning UI.

UI is likely the worst part in this game. Things like, you can only have two nonmovable popup open (can you believe that's the case for a 2011 game?). When search the GTN, you cannot see the chat well.

And BW seems to spend time fixing something that was not broken. Like after this patch, the mail you got after your listed item sold don't tell you what item was sold any more. I mean why the secrecy?

Why do YOU even care how it is affecting others if you see no issues? Who are you to determine how bad it is affecting anyone other than yourself? When you decide to pay our sub fees, I guess we can all let you determine how bad something is or isn't for the rest of us.

Nerd hysteria. :cool:

the only thing that bothers me isnt the color of the cool down but the blinking of the icons... which mess with my eyes. i dont know why they would put something like that on abilites, and come to think of it they are suppose to warn you of things like blinking effect on games because thy can induce seizures... and i havent seen any warning they put out yet so if someone gets hurt over this it can become a big law suit.

What was wrong with the CD effect we had in launch. It worked fine. No one complained about it. What did Bioware do? They broke it. 'Cause we didn't have enough problems before. Revert back to old system. STOP MESSING WITH IT. Problem solved.

So I made a thread, knowing that the devs would close it, knowing that they'd view it, asking for an update about the cooldown issue and here's what Noviru had to say:

Hello DarthKeredias,

We know that the latest changes to the Ability Bar is currently a very popular topic on the forum. Any updates that are posted in regards to this will be viewable in our Developer Tracker as soon as they become available.

In the meantime, please continue to use the preexisting New Ability Bar Cooldown Effect for any discussions, comments, or concerns.

Thank you for understanding.

That's helpful, thanks guys :/

i like this game thats why i am upset that i cant play it right now without becoming dizzy with a 'car sick' type feeling. i want to be able to play the game.

Your description is very apt. What people are experiencing is, in fact, a form of motion sickness. It's well documented in video games for all you nay sayers-- go Google it.

Edited by Keta

Completely and utterly hate it.

What we had last patch was just perfect for me. Please put it back!

I agree with this. I cannot play my two characters (Sith Sorc and Jedi Sage) with the current, blinding, distracting, hideous UI. The GCD does not have to be represented with flashing blue bars on every single ability! This is not a clicker vs. keybinder issue. This is simply a tragically poor iteration of SWTOR's evolving (devolving?) user interface. Please fire all of your UI devs and ask the janitors which they prefer: a subtle graying out of non-available abilities, or blinding blue bars scrolling down dozens of times per minute in combat?

Seriously, I have been enjoying playing SWTOR since launch day...until now. PLEASE, Bioware, give us the ability to change the UI back to that of the last patch at the very least. Eventually, please let us customize the game UI to suit our own individual preferences...not those of the blind lemurs coding your user interface.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to go back to Telara and Azeroth (still have active subs to both games) until this is fixed.

--

Dreamquencher

So I made a thread, knowing that the devs would close it, knowing that they'd view it, asking for an update about the cooldown issue and here's what Noviru had to say:

Hello DarthKeredias,

We know that the latest changes to the Ability Bar is currently a very popular topic on the forum. Any updates that are posted in regards to this will be viewable in our Developer Tracker as soon as they become available.

In the meantime, please continue to use the preexisting New Ability Bar Cooldown Effect for any discussions, comments, or concerns.

That just means, "Keep QQ'ing in a thread we set aside for QQ'ing about this topic so we can not do anything about it better"

^_^

That just means, "Keep QQ'ing in a thread we set aside for QQ'ing about this topic so we can not do anything about it better"

^_^

Except didnt Joveth make a post yesterday in the version of this thread that got capped, saying they're investigating and elevating the issue? Or do you want a quote from today?

So I was finally able to get some time in-game after reading all the stories of strobe/disco light action bars, and I braced myself... only to discover that after a couple solid hours of PvE/PvP play... I like it.

I honestly was expecting far worse, and well... don't see the problem.

For those who are bothered by it though, (and are legitimately bothered at that, not just finding something new to complain about) I hope Bioware will offer some middle ground for you, but not at the expense of my shiny new actionbars either! :o

Hello DarthKeredias,

I don't know what you're expecting. The Developers aren't closing your threads. The Moderators are. That's their job. Any response you get here is more than likely a Moderator, not a Dev.