Leveling as a healer - companions

kmanweiss

Ok, be forwarned, there are SPOILERS in this for BH and for Troopers.

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to level as a healing focused mercenary?

The class is solid, the talents interesting. All together it's a great class and I love playing it. Pre-30 healing in FPs can be a nightmare at times, but things start getting better at 25 and again at 30.

We seem to get gimped with our companions though.

I played a trooper in Beta, and got to lvl 31 or 32. At the end of planet 1, you get your first companion. A ranged DPS. At the end of planet 2, you get your ship and the droid that comes with it. At the end of planet 3, you get a healing companion. The end of planet 4 gives you a tanking companion. You can even do 3 and 4 out of order to get the tank early. Either way, you have a DPS, a healer, and a tank before you hit level 30. This compliments any style of play you want. As a healing trooper, the DPS you start with tanked good enough until you get an actual tank...then I was amazed at how efficient I could play with him tanking and me healing.

For the Bounty Hunter though....I'm halfway through planet 4, approaching lvl 30 and I still just have Mako...a healing companion. This didn't bother me until the late teens, early twenties. No tank, no solid DPS, just two healers... The regular quests aren't a problem, but as a Trooper I was able to solo (me and companion) every heroic 2 area, and even a heroic 4 (had to be stealthy). The two healer combo is not panning out the same way. There is a heroic 2 area thats even shared for both classes and I couldn't progress as a BH at lvl 24, but my trooper cleaned the place out easily at lvl 20.

I thought the trooper companion progression was pretty good. 1 of each by lvl 30. It appears the BH doesn't get more companions till post 30, and the tanks are the last 2 companions.

I still love the class, and Mako, but it's a bit of a struggle being a healer with only a healing companion. Wish we'd get a better spread of companions and at an earlier point in the story. If we had a dual spec too, I wouldn't care...I could DPS and let Mako heal. But I don't want to have to physically switch everything a couple times a day.

I know, pointless complain, just wondering if others had similar issues. Maybe I just got spoiled with the entire army of heavy armor troops at my command as a trooper lol.

That works ok at low levels, but honestly, in the mid 20s, it does nothing. The damage stance still reduces her threat, which means I pull the threat, and I have to heal because she can't be trusted to heal very well.

Again, I'm making it by doing regular quests, I just don't feel nearly as powerful as the trooper. Full trinity before 30 is awesome. I'm 27 and still just have Mako.

That works ok at low levels, but honestly, in the mid 20s, it does nothing. The damage stance still reduces her threat, which means I pull the threat, and I have to heal because she can't be trusted to heal very well.

Again, I'm making it by doing regular quests, I just don't feel nearly as powerful as the trooper. Full trinity before 30 is awesome. I'm 27 and still just have Mako.

Gault holds aggro for me very well. I switch him between AOE and Sniper as needed. I went for Gault the moment I hit Tatooine at 27 and, after that, went back and did the side quests with my new pewpew companion.

It would be nice to have a Tank pet by now, though. Gault gets smacked REALLY hard. Keeps me on my toes, though.

While I agree that it sucks having only a healer while trying to level as a healer, you also have two other options. You could join a group and be their healer or play as a ranged dps and then respec later on Edited by bobafetea