Space Combat Needs a Serious Difficulty Boost

Daeromas

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I think it's fine the way it is. some of us are not twitchy.

I'm assuming since you quoted my OP you actually read it, not just the title. If you read it again I ask for hard and nightmare modes, which should go without saying that it would be optional.

You're against something that you don't have to partake in? Yikes.

PS-twichy when reffering to swtor space combat made me giggle.

I really like the space missions, but a bit more variety would be nice. Seeing the same stuff in different sectors makes no sense really. Nevertheless I do agree it could be harder. I have all missions unlocked and it's not that hard really :)

Yea no doubt, the repetitiveness kinda sucks, but they'll add more i'm sure of it. Optional difficulty levels that just increase the rewards already given is something that I think would be somewhat easy to implement and that people like us who actually enjoy them but find them very easy would welcome.

Even with just the torpedoes (to take down some of the more durable objectives) and the one that lets you switch between offense and defense, the final missions are definitely pretty easy/doable. Surviving them is definitely easy; when you don't have objectives near you, just switch to the super shield generator and your shields will be back to full in less than 20 seconds. "Stance dancing" works extremely well.

I'm more iffed by the fact that the higher level missions seem to be more or less repeats of lower level ones :(

I couldn't agree more.

I always thought that I good option for hardmode on space combat would be to take off the autotarget...

Shoot something down from 10 miles away now =P "who needs targeting sensors"

Yea forsure, take off auto target, increase firepower and shields of enemies and objectives, resulting in increased rewards of what is already rewarded.

Adding this to the OP.

I got so excited at getting new missions at level 40.

After about 30 wipes ive given up on them.

They are pretty much impossible without the higher level upgrades I guess (im full T4 on my ship atm).

Dissapointing.

Final missions are much, much harder unless you do 3 things:

1. Steer with WASD and use the mouse to aim your guns. You'll get more time to keep shooting this way while also dodging the things intentionally ramming you

2. Use every spare second you can to shift your power to shields, then back. Two fighters fly from behind you to in front of you? Cool. Give your shields another 1.5 secs to recharge, THEN shift the power to blasters and blow them up. This technique can really help get your shields back up.

3. Realize that there are times when you don't actually need to be shooting stuff and can use it to recharge the shields. Towards the end of the final mission, for example, you can toggle your power to shields and not bother to keep shooting mines, and just use some of your leftover missiles for the fighters instead of your guns.

Turns out its stupidly easy, but as you go up past lvl 40 they become impossible hard for the average player, few people in my guild do space missions now.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of space shooters, so once I got to the 40+ missions I stopped doing them. Yes, I could l2p, but this isn't a genre I like (and certainly not why I play MMOs), so not really interested in investing any time at all to learn how to play it, really.

(1) Make the 2nd extra bonus mission more meaningful. Some of them are still hard even if the quest is gray, make them give you extra experience or credits, not silly 5 exp.

(2) Add a PERFECT bonus for every one of them if you manage to destroy every single hostile vessels in that mission, which will reward you an Artifact gear of that level + credits at your level.

Even with all the good stuff, I simply cannot do the lvl5 missions. I even struggle with the lvl3 stuff when they become available, and you only have the shield/gun booster thingy. So I get the super exp early on and simply won't bother when the "suggested level of mods is 1" go grey. I CAN do the level 3 ones, but what you get out of it vs the frustration just isn't worth it.

I'm sure I could complete em if I practiced the missions, but you know what? It's not worth the effort.

you're doing the grey under level missions aren't you?

have been doing the level 50 one since it starts to offer daily commendations, to be honest the only challenge was how to finish the mission with the ship completely unscrached...

or play through the mission without falling asleep for that matter... It is 8 minutes long after all.

have been doing the level 50 one since it starts to offer daily commendations, to be honest the only challenge was how to finish the mission with the ship completely unscrached...

or play through the mission without falling asleep for that matter... It is 8 minutes long after all.

this.

I like space combat.

It's a peripheral part of the game and I wouldn't be happy about BW diverting resources to futher developing it.

Focus on the things that matter.

They've put a good amount of time in it, to simply leave it as it is would be a complete waste of good work.

Even with all the good stuff, I simply cannot do the lvl5 missions. I even struggle with the lvl3 stuff when they become available, and you only have the shield/gun booster thingy. So I get the super exp early on and simply won't bother when the "suggested level of mods is 1" go grey. I CAN do the level 3 ones, but what you get out of it vs the frustration just isn't worth it.

I'm sure I could complete em if I practiced the missions, but you know what? It's not worth the effort.

An easy 40-50k in credits a day is worth it imo.

Edited by Daeromas

Yeah, I've never been a fan of space shooters, so once I got to the 40+ missions I stopped doing them. Yes, I could l2p, but this isn't a genre I like (and certainly not why I play MMOs), so not really interested in investing any time at all to learn how to play it, really.

There's a big difficulty bump there.

Trying to do sulluast Interception with grade 3 or less upgrades is very hard.

You can either survive to the end OR kill enough ships and die before the end, but killing enough ships AND surviving to the end (which you have to do to beat the mission) with those level of upgrades is very hard.

Once you have full purples it's much eaiser, but there's a good 4 or so levels where you have that mission, but not the ability to equip them.

They've put a good amount of time in it, to simply leave it as it is would be a complete waste of good work.

In fairness I'm not sure how they can really do that much more with it.

There's really only 4 options to make it harder:

1. Increase the length of the missions (eventually this gets too long).

2. Increase the numbers coming at you (there's only a certain number you can really have on screen at once).

3. Increase the defensive/offensive abilities of the enemies.

4. Put some sort of limits in (i.e. only able to use lower Grade X stuff)

The problem with those options is eventually (like in orginal space invaders) they become a bit silly.

With the current system they could expand it a bit more, but to take it too much further risks it either being excatly the same old stuff (but longer) or getting so hard it become a very niche mini-game that few people do.

Which is why I think they will have to expand space combat properly, eventually.

lol 2 min afk yea right tell another 1 while your there im rofl at you let me guess your lvl 16 and your just starting the easy missions!

I always considered myself a mediocre player but I guess I should not be so hard on myself.

YES, the non grey missions that you are doing at lvl 50 are ridiculously easy. I wish there was a button to finish the mission when your objectives are done (and your ship has 50%+ health so it wouldn't be a cheat-out of situations where you could actually lose your ship) because it's boring just to fly around without purpose.

There was only one mission that was difficult (called "Drexel Sweep" on republic side, around lvl40-42, kill 60 interceptors in 3:45). It was only hard because I was in Tier2 mods. After getting on-level mods it became very doable. I still do that mission from time to time but my goals for it are either

- finish the mission without damaging the ship (my best is 3200/3350 or something similar)

- make the best time on the primary objective (i think the best i've had was 1:35 till the end)

I understand that some might be struggling but a switch in difficulty would not harm them, right? It's something wrong with the system when players impose their own objectives to make it difficult/challenging. It should be by design (for those that want it).

Telling us not to use the best upgrades available is like telling other pve people to try nightmare OPS with tionese gear only if they think it's too easy with rakata.

PS. there is EMP generator that if used correctly will either:

- destroy around 90 mines in the minefields missions

- destroy those 14 turrets at once in the last mission.

I believe the cooldown is enough to hit the EMP thing twice in last mines mission so that gives 180 out of 175 required mines just by pressing button twice.

P.S.S. temporary solution to those that also feel that those missions are too easy - fly with your hud off (alt+z), keeps you on your toes as you don't know what's your ship's damage and how many targets you still need to do.

or try finding the hidden bonuses (but those sadly give no increased rewards AFAIK) that exist even on those low level missions.

Edited by FoxNemhauser

TL; DR.

Do it without ship upgrades. Hard enough yet? Especially Impossible Mission.

TL; DR?

Well, then "don't post if you have nothing interesting to share".

With that attitude we won't need new content in this game at all.

Tired of those 3 warzones? Play them without gear to make them more difficult.

Tired of those 2 OPs and several FPs? Do them without gear.

Tired of easy questing? Play without companion.

That's essentially what you said, do you still think it's reasonable?

Or maybe suggest to the developer to add new difficult content or just make the existing content harder for those that would like it to be harder? (as an option so those who think it's hard enough would not get a set of gray hair :p)

First let me state that I have all purple upgrades except armor.. I have completed every mission available..

Drexel is grey to me, but is still a challenge to complete.. I don't think it needs to be any harder.. For those that don't know.. Drexel takes place in the astroid field and you must destrow the turrets on the imperial cruiser in the middle of the field..

There are some missions that could be a bit harder.. And some that are just fine the way they are.. I just completed impossible sector for the first time.. It is a tough missions.. I find it quite fun..

Do space missions need to be made more difficult?? Some yes, while others now.. If they do add a heroic setting for these, they will also need to add another tier of upgrades for the ships.. Hard missions are great and all.. Impossible ones are bad.. :cool: