5k Dmg in PvP

Emperorx

I am a Battlemaster Watchman specced Sentinel. I have at least champion gear and my crit rate is 35% buffed and surge is at a normal 82%. Even when I fight with my adrenals and relics used, I have never hit for 5k dmg before. I came close but I never was able to get the medal. What exactly should I do to achieve it?

Watchman aren't meant to do massive burst damage, get over it.

1. Stim

2. Crit / Surge relic

3. Adrenal

4. Expertise Buff

5. Inspiration

6. Non shielded Sorc

7. Explosion 5k +

Do you have BM sabers?

You do know the expertise buff counts as an adrenal right, and that they can't be stacked?

They used to be able to until patch 1.1 I believe.

Edited by CivicTiger

Watchman IS NOT the burst DPS Advanced Class of Sentinel.. Combat is.

Combat Sentinel:

+100% Blade Storm Crit Chance with Combat Trance active

+30% Surge on Blade Storm with expertise (also 30% Surge on Blade Rush)

+10% Damage on our next focus spender (procs when we get Combat Trance)

+100% Armor Penetration

Now that I've broken it all down, I will tell you a rotation to use.

Bear in mind, most opponents will CC you AS SOON as you engage them, so you build focus and take their cc/knock back and THEN hit them where it hurts.

This strat will now always work, but this is to show it can and does happen - just not all the time.

and make sure that the opponent doesn't have a bubble up..

1. Use Force Leap (4 focus with expertise)

2. Use Zealous Strike (you're now at 10 focus)

3. Pop a POWER Relic (not crit/surge, cause you will crit 100% anyways and POWER gives 10-15% dmg boost, just like the WZ buff)

4. Pop a RAKATA ADRENAL - with my Relic & Adrenal I reach JUST under 1000 min. damage

5. Pop Valorous Call + Inspiration

4. Use Precision Slash for 100% armor penetration (this also means you can hit any class, not just light armor classes as it doesn't matter)

5. Use Blade Rush as this will give you 100% crit chance and you now have a 10% damage proc

6. Use Blade Storm and watch your opponents health drop by at least 35-40% in one hit.

broken down, this is what bonus stats my Blade Storm will have with that rotation:

25% Damage Bonus (10% from expertise, 15% from Inspiration)

121% Surge (I have a base surge of 91% + 30% from expertise)

100% Armor Penetration

* stim+relic will increase your BASE damage - thus increasing your surge damage + damage bonus from from expertise/buffs

Now, if your tooltip damage says 1600 you will be dealing 2000 base damage (1600 tooltip + 400 from 25% bonus) + 2420 from surge rating = 4420.

Then, since you get armor penetration, lets just say that every class has atleast 20% Armor Penetration, that's an extra 884 damage on top of the 4420 giving a total of 5304 Damage.

You can see I've shown you how to hit above 5000 damage.. This is ofcourse IF you follow the correct rotation.. sometimes the extra 10% damage wont proc, sometimes your inspiration wont be ready.. but regardless even if its not your still going to be hitting at least 4500.

I hit around 3900 without any of my adrenal/relic and around 4500 with them. I dont bother with inspiration much cus by the time you get your opponent lined up it can be too late so i dont always take the risk.

Edited by CivicTiger

Watchman is much higher burst than Combat at lvl 50 in Champion/BM gear. This is because by the time you apply Cauterize + 3 OS and you use Merciless Slash, when everything ticks at the same time and crit, it's over 6k damage. It's just not done in one single hit, but 3 which happen at the same time. This precludes from getting the 5k medal, but the burst achieved was higher than Combat.

When you reach lvl 50 and good gear, the trees are reversed in what they were supposed to achieve. Combat becomes good steady DPS and Watchman becomes better burst.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

With a focus spec I've hit 5K on force sweep with relic up on some undergeared targets. Singularity buffed force sweep is still the highest single damage skill a sentinel has, but overall damage can be better with watchman.

Combat Sentinel:

+100% Blade Storm Crit Chance with Combat Trance active

+30% Surge on Blade Storm with expertise (also 30% Surge on Blade Rush)

+10% Damage on our next focus spender (procs when we get Combat Trance)

+100% Armor Penetration

Opportune Attacks is a 30% proc chance and unless something has changed it doesn't work on Blade Storm.

25% Damage Bonus (10% from expertise, 15% from Inspiration)

This assumes a very undergeared target.

Then, since you get armor penetration, lets just say that every class has atleast 20% Armor Penetration, that's an extra 884 damage on top of the 4420 giving a total of 5304 Damage.

This is incorrect. You have two related errors here. The first is that you incorrectly handled Armor Penetration. It reduces mitigation. If the target has 20% mitigation, you need to divide 4420 by .8 to get the correct damage (it would actually be ~200 more damage than you listed). The second mistake and significantly more important you have treated Armor Penetration as bonus damage. Armor will reduce the damage from the tool tip value. Having 100% armor penetration will not increase tool tip damage. It will make your damage the tool tip value (excluding other damage reduction options).

You can see I've shown you how to hit above 5000 damage.. This is ofcourse IF you follow the correct rotation.. sometimes the extra 10% damage wont proc, sometimes your inspiration wont be ready.. but regardless even if its not your still going to be hitting at least 4500.

Incorrect, your numbers only show how to get to 4420 against a target with significantly inferior gear.

Opportune Attacks is a 30% proc chance and unless something has changed it doesn't work on Blade Storm.

This assumes a very undergeared target.

This is incorrect. You have two related errors here. The first is that you incorrectly handled Armor Penetration. It reduces mitigation. If the target has 20% mitigation, you need to divide 4420 by .8 to get the correct damage (it would actually be ~200 more damage than you listed). The second mistake and significantly more important you have treated Armor Penetration as bonus damage. Armor will reduce the damage from the tool tip value. Having 100% armor penetration will not increase tool tip damage. It will make your damage the tool tip value (excluding other damage reduction options).

Incorrect, your numbers only show how to get to 4420 against a target with significantly inferior gear.

Erm, no, 'cause I hit 4.8k WITH Precision Slash and WITHOUT the extra 10% damage increase from Opportune Attack.. and yes, it does work with Blade Storm.

If Precision Slash is on Cooldown, I hit for 4.1k.

So as you can see, 4.1k > 4.8k is around 20% - depending on the target.. its an extra 800 damage not 200 as you claim.

Bearing in mind I have a base primary minimum damage of 725.

& here is a SS of me critting 4818, the extra 10% from opportune strike didn't proc.

http://i40.tinypic.com/mh93ba.jpg

you will also notice another sentinel (watchmen spec) got more damage at the end then me, but when you compare the 40k difference between him having 40 kills and me having 20, it means that I did twice as much single target damage then he did.

Edited by CivicTiger

Top that off with a 300k medal and you got yourself 12 medals. The 3k defender medal can be a pain to get sometimes

You can also get the 25 kills medal, to get 13 medals in total.

But medal hunting doesn't contribute much to winning the actual game (same with going for max damage).

& here is a SS of me critting 4818, the extra 10% from opportune strike didn't proc.

you will also notice another sentinel (watchmen spec) got more damage at the end then me, but when you compare the 40k difference between him having 40 kills and me having 20, it means that I did twice as much single target damage then he did.

So you're attempting to brag that doing 16k per kill is somehow better than doing 9k per kill? One of these two players was working with his team to kill targets, I wonder who? You'll also notice he more than doubled your Objective score...

He had 40 kills while the other team had 800k healing. If most of his tags weren't from rebuke or AoE, he was far more effective than you were tbqh.

As for the 5k hit, it's all a numbers game, and without a combat log we can't really get a good idea of when more crit > more power or vis versa. Because if you crit, you're going to do more damage than if you missed that crit because you had extra power, but if you didn't crit, you would have been better off with more power, but had you had more crit you might have crit, ect, ect.

I can do the 5k Merciless on either low-expertise or light armor classes, but it's a hard call if being able to hit 5k is better than hitting the 4.4-4.8k range more often. Personally, I go higher power for PvE and higher Crit for PvP with about even surge between the two.

So long as your Crit is 25% unbuffed and your Crit multi is 75% unbuffed, where you put points past that is quite hard to judge. Personally I'm at ~420 bonus damage, 30% crit, 85% surge and it works quite well for me with Watchman.

Edited by Apocalypse-

Unfortunately, this is not pre-1.1 (happened 2 days ago), but it definitely wasn't legit. Still not sure how it happened, especially since it was a hit against a 18.5k Jugg....

Possible: They were using full PvE gear and had 0 expertise. Using the power relic /having high surge, expertise adrenal, Inspiration, and likely a gunslinger or Commando (or both) had reduced his armor. They were also assuredly in Shien form.

At that moment, you really should have been buying a lottery ticket rather than playing the game.

Erm, no, 'cause I hit 4.8k WITH Precision Slash and WITHOUT the extra 10% damage increase from Opportune Attack.. and yes, it does work with Blade Storm.

If Precision Slash is on Cooldown, I hit for 4.1k.

Like I said, it could have changed. I'll probably go test it tonight. I know for a fact it was not increasing the damage.

So as you can see, 4.1k > 4.8k is around 20% - depending on the target.. its an extra 800 damage not 200 as you claim.

Bearing in mind I have a base primary minimum damage of 725.

Like I said, you are doing the math wrong. 4.8k is 17% greater than 4.1k. The mitigation is actually ~14.6%. Regardless, it has no effect on tooltip damage which is what you were using in your calculations. Mitigation reduces tooltip damage. Using Precision Strike will bring your attacks in line with the tooltip. It will not increase the damage.

Just from that SS, I'm more likely to believe it's from a MS.

It doesn't mean that at all. Watchman doesn't have much in the way of AoE. He likely did more single target damage than you did. You did more damage per kill than he did which could be a positive or a negative- there not enough information to determine from postgame statistics.