The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech 50 PVP Video: 4/6/31 All-Out DPS Spec

taugrimtaugrim

Which would be advisable to someone fairly new to MMO's?

Thanks

Probably a merc just for the simplicity of Tracer Missle right now.

Granted, TM sets up all their other abilities but you really can just spam that and nothing else and can get a good amount of kills.

Most of the players in Warzones still are pretty clueless on things like line of sight and interrupts so it's what leads to all the "Nerf Merc Tracer Spam" threads.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, TM sets up all their other abilities but you really can just spam that and nothing else and can get a good amount of kills.

Most of the players in Warzones still are pretty clueless on things like line of sight and interrupts so it's what leads to all the "Nerf Merc Tracer Spam" threads.

Ok, I do think the Carbonize ability of the PT is cool though.

Agree.

For an MMO newbie playing SWTOR I would recommend a ranged damage dealer.

The issue with playing melee classes is it requires much more practice to stay on targets and deal with the kiting, and it can be frustrating until you get the hang of it.

Agree.

The issue with playing melee classes is it requires much more practice to stay on targets and deal with the kiting, and it can be frustrating until you get the hang of it.

agree, but too late for me,

once i thought i want to be a tank or dps in range,

but how ever when i got lv50, than i realize powertech is a melee class,

BUT BW dont let player change their ADV CLASS.

i dont like leveling,

so i learn to improve my skill.

it is frustrating that play a game just like a work in asia,

u dont have a second chance to choose what u really like!!!!

sigh~~~~~~~~~

so i come to here, to learn to be a better PT.

agree, but too late for me,

once i thought i want to be a tank or dps in range,

but how ever when i got lv50, than i realize powertech is a melee class,

BUT BW dont let player change their ADV CLASS.

i dont like leveling,

so i learn to improve my skill.

Technically, Powertech is a short-range tank. You have some capability out to 30m, but we do our best sustained damage when fighting within 10m of our target due to the mechanics of the class.

That being said, you have the right attitude, and if you can learn to play a short-range or melee class, you will be better off from a skill standpoint regardless what class you play.

Reason TD is so important in PvP is the burst.

I get 4k to 5K (Max is 5129 Right now) TD Crits depending on the gear of the target. As it's ticking down you can build up your dots and Rail Shot when the explosion goes off. It's a very very deadly combo that is near unrecoverable if you get good crits. (Note: It's depending on those crits for this burst to work best).

There is nothing, zero, that can replace that in a rotation and yield same max burst results.

Not to mention, in a hectic environment like PvP at times, having definite damage like TD outweighs hoping your rail shot resets to get that extra large damage in. (In regards to the difference in the two specs). At the very least that's my mindset on the matter.

As far as the "execute", I do attack a lot of high HP targets at times. As a result that 30% is a good chunk of HP that gets extra damage added to it. 3% Tech Crit is great too. More crit in talents allows you to better +power/+surge your gear while maintaining a good crit ratio.

I'm going to assume I'm missing something, but, while granting this would not allow for "max burst results," couldn't you use Explosive Dart to set up some burst while (1) retaining the flat increased damage of the 8/8/25 build and (2) avoiding putting three talent points into the at best situationally useful execute? Your DoTs are IM and CGC -- the latter is more or less automatic; the former will often cost too much heat or be simply not worth casting if your target is going to die within its 18s. After all, in PvP opponents who hit sub-30% hp are usually focused down, rendering the execute talent points as useful more or less only in a duel wherein you've somehow managed to sensibly fit in 25 extra heat from IM.

To me the execute seems like a PvE talent meant for raid bosses with mega-hp, where with 30% hp left you're still looking at a very sizable hp pool that will allow for multiple IM casts.

Edited by neeman

I'm going to assume I'm missing something, but, while granting this would not allow for "max burst results," couldn't you use Explosive Dart to set up some burst while (1) retaining the flat increased damage of the 8/8/25 build and (2) avoiding putting three talent points into the at best situationally useful execute? Your DoTs are IM and CGC -- the latter is more or less automatic; the former will often cost too much heat or be simply not worth casting if your target is going to die within its 18s. After all, in PvP opponents who hit sub-30% hp are usually focused down, rendering the execute talent points as useful more or less only in a duel wherein you've somehow managed to sensibly fit in 25 extra heat from IM.

To me the execute seems like a PvE talent meant for raid bosses with mega-hp, where with 30% hp left you're still looking at a very sizable hp pool that will allow for multiple IM casts.

TD is still a better because it gets a 30%+ in crit damage and with a higher critical chance on tech (+6%) will do a lot more damage in the long run as you can eventually have like a 1/3 of critting.

Agree.

What tree do you recommend Arsenal or Pyrotech for levelling & PvP?

Technically, Powertech is a short-range tank. You have some capability out to 30m, but we do our best sustained damage when fighting within 10m of our target due to the mechanics of the class.

That being said, you have the right attitude, and if you can learn to play a short-range or melee class, you will be better off from a skill standpoint regardless what class you play.

So why not learn on Powertech and be all the better? I have tanked in Star Wars RPG SAGA Edition and Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights on A Land Far Away (ALFA) even though this is an MMO. I was thinking of using Werdan's build if I went Mercenary or Full DPS or Iron Fist if Powertech.

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

Yes, as I said in the video, we have heavy Elemental damage that bypasses armor.

That being said, some tanks spec for mitigation talents and/or have bubbles such as Guardian/Juggernaut.

Yes, as a Powertech tank I'm taking 9% less damage from elemental attacks. Even with the elemental damage, I'm very hard to kill. Also, tanks are more likely to be healed than DPS classes.