Reverse Engineer a whole stack needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY

Hologramx

Erm. Not quite. The medpacs are single use consumables (which have their own rules), and items on vendors usually aren't in stacks ( but for the items that are stacked on a vendor, one click = buy the stack )

The default action when interacting with a stack of items is for the whole stack to be effected. When you sell, move, mail or auction a stack, the entire stack is always moved. You have to go out of your way ( shift-drag ) to separate individual items.

When I click to buy a stacked item (such as crew skills materials) it only buys one at a time, not the stack, so the default action on a stacked item at a vendor is single, not stacked.

We know the default action at the moment is to interact with a whole stack when selling, but not when buying, or when using (e.g. medpacs). Also, it makes no sense to have to find anything out "the hard way". Whether the guy DE'd once or a hundred times, it's still a bad implementation to effectively have a destroy function on a whole stack, rather than as single actions. Yes, I give you the selling a stack argument, but that's not a destroy function as you can buy it back.

When I click to buy a stacked item (such as crew skills materials) it only buys one at a time, not the stack, so the default action on a stacked item at a vendor is single, not stacked.

Vendors dont have stacked items they are single items in unlimited quantity. If they had a stack it would mean the vendor would be sold out.

If i sell a stack of medpacks i sell the whole stack, if i auction a stack of medpacks i auction the whole stack, if i throw away a stack of medpacks i throw away the whole stack, if i mail a stack of medpacks i mail the whole stack.

So if i RE a stack of medpacks i re the whole stack, that is consistent, that is how it works.

The OP is spot on.

Yes, doing it multiple times is stupid on his part, but it shouldn't be a hidden "gotcha!", even once. The default action for an unmodified click (e.g. shift or ctrl) should be the single action.

Think about it.

If you click on a stack of medpacks, how many do you actually use? - 1.

If you click on an item for sale at a vendor, how many do you buy? - 1.

Shift-click is a common metaphor for interacting with multiples. So, though it's not implemented yet, when it is it should be done consistently and inline with the common metaphor.

I love idiots

I dont see the problem tbh.

if you want to RE 1 item at a time, create 1 then RE it.

You could also create a bunch of items then split the stack (sshift+rclick) and RE individually.

You do know that if you wake 5 items and Re the stack its just the same as if you RE'd each one at a time?

I appreciate that as a default you might slip up if you forget how it works but now that you know, it shouldnt be a problem any more.

:)

Simple solution, would be when REing stacks - a pop up box with a slider asking how many you wish to RE.

This ^ I agree with the OP. Yes it is possible to manually remove a single item from the stack and then RE it, but that's a pain in the ***. A good UI is designed to NOT MAKE THINGS A PAIN IN THE ***.

I am not saying you should not be able to RE a stack.

I am saying that THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING to be a default.

Have to agree with the OP on this one. Full stack should not at all be the default. With no previous knowledge made available by Bioware, I lost my first stack of items the same way.

Bioware agrees also. They've already corrected this type of problem with GTN purchases, Commendation mat purchases etc by adding in fail-safes.

Always, always er on the side of caution. Basic premise in any situation from safety to finance. Single item should be the default. This is necessary and would prove to enhance, rather then detract from the gaming experience. That is what they are after.

Correct me if I am wrong but...REing a stack of any amount gives the same chance to discover a schematic as REing one at a time.

For example: I have a 5% chance (random number thrown out there for this example) to discover a blue schematic by REing ONE basic Green schematic Might Stim.

I WILL NOT have a 10% chance to discover the Blue Schematic for the same Might Stim if I RE an entire stack of 10 Stims at once.

If this is OTHERWISE, please find me a link to an official confirming otherwise. As far as I know....REing 1 item has the same chance to discover a schematic as REing a stack of 5, or 10, or 100 of the same item. In the case of a stack of items however, you only get the mats back as if you had RE'd one only.

Doesn't sound like a poor game mechanic, but merely a human problem.
That.

You seriously did not think anything was wrong when, after REing a stack, you moved your mouse to a second stack to RE that one too? And then did it a third time?

You should have noticed your stacks vanished, that's your fault.

Correct me if I am wrong but...REing a stack of any amount gives the same chance to discover a schematic as REing one at a time.

For example: I have a 5% chance (random number thrown out there for this example) to discover a blue schematic by REing ONE basic Green schematic Might Stim.

I WILL NOT have a 10% chance to discover the Blue Schematic for the same Might Stim if I RE an entire stack of 10 Stims at once.

If this is OTHERWISE, please find me a link to an official confirming otherwise. As far as I know....REing 1 item has the same chance to discover a schematic as REing a stack of 5, or 10, or 100 of the same item. In the case of a stack of items however, you only get the mats back as if you had RE'd one only.

From my experience you are wrong.

You get a lot more mats when re'ing stacks, that oneis certain.

As for the second concern, i.e. the chance for blue/purple i cannot offer concrete proof, but bases on the above plus my own success it feels that the chance is indeed higher when re'ing stacks. Having all blue lvl49 stims atm + both the blue medpacks, i think i only got 1 scematic from re'ing 1-1 and the rest from re'ing sgacks of 10.

As an addition if it works the way i think, using your numbers, if you re a srack of 20 you won't have a 100% chance but have 20 times 5% chance, which in the world of propabilities is a much different thing.

I 100% believe the OP is overreacting and that this is barely a problem. It sucks if someone makes a mistake and does something they regret, but the consequences aren't that big. Even in the worst case scenario where you RE a whole stack of expensive items, you could have a GM restore them. That's not very likely to happen though, because by the time you can make expensive items, you will have experience in the system and know how it works.

So calling this design stupid and insane is uncalled for, and claiming it ruined the fun of crafting is extremely hyperbolic. The idea of being so upset by this rather than just learning your lesson and moving on is mind boggling to me.

All that said, a default pop up box that asks how many of a stack to RE, and has a check box for defaulting over to automatically RE'ing the whole stack (reversible in preferences), would be an improvement over what is in game now.

lol.. the first time I re'd a level 1 stack of med packs that took me a total of 2 minutes to craft i noticed this default.

After that I always made sure that the med pack stack of 5 i usually keep for myself didn't get re'd...

Not sure if this is even worth talking about when operations and flashpoint bosses are bugginf ...

I question if it is even possible that bioware could make it simple enough for you if it took you more than 1 stack to realize you were re'ing the entire stack at once and loosing all the items.

Come on man.

That's what I thought when I read the OP. Surely one would notice after the first stack, "Wow, I just RE'd the whole stack."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.