How likely will it be for a Jedi/Sith to dual-wield?

Verrell

So in summary to dual wield a person would need the following: Force enhanced precognition, force enhanced reflexes, decades of training, force enhanced Strength and the focus to keep every movement and action precise.

- This is lightsaber. I can defeat 4 people in a time with it and it takes me around 10 years to master it.

- And this is portable Heavy Assault Cannon MX-10. I can take out 150 people with it in a ten seconds flat and it takes me around 2 days to master it.

Sorry for off-topic. Just remembered that.

BTW I dont like dual-wielding - in both KotORs and Jedi Academy I choose light-staff.

Edited by Kantor_omicron

In short bursts and with a certain "power level" strength is a non-issue as well. Drawing on the force to directly augment a person's physical capabilities is not unheard of. Vader drew almost entirely on the force to simply move, enhancing his surviving musculature directly with the Force. So in summary to dual wield a person would need the following: Force enhanced precognition, force enhanced reflexes, decades of training, force enhanced Strength and the focus to keep every movement and action precise.

You need training for everything you do... for dualwielding you need talent though, you gotta be able to move the "weaker" part of your body just as good as your strong one. Few people have this ability/natural gift and there is no real sense in training for it instead of focusing on onehanded combat, because if you are not naturally gifted that way it won't enhance your combat skills. Think of it as writing your name... I can't do it that well with my left, I could train it over and over again and some day I'll probably get close to my right hand writing, but there is no real sense in there.

As for the other parts... dualwielding the way it is in the game normally works with 2 light weapons and is bascially used to bring your enemy off balance or for parry (especially parry daggers were quite common). It just got uselees when armor got heavier because you couldn't get enough strenght behind a blow with just 1 hand (unlike having a shield a second weapon doesn'T do anything good for you in a slower paced fight).

However, sparing you the history lesson I'd say it is actually viable to DW lightsabers, simply because I doubt you need that much strenght to hurt someone with freakin focused plasma, cuts through a lot of stuff easily and the real strenght behind the attacks come from the speed, agility and force... I always have to think of the way Mace Windu fought when thinking about DW, he had this ridiculously fast paced fighting style that would benefit from a second weapon for strikes inbetween strikes... or to draw some connection to unarmed fighting... an offhand strike is basically like a jab in boxing.. it is not to do real harm, but to open up defence and hit harder with a straight or whatever.

Think of it as writing your name... I can't do it that well with my left, I could train it over and over again and some day I'll probably get close to my right hand writing

OT but here's a trick. Get a pen in both of your hands, big enough piece of paper and try writing your name with both hands simultaneously. They will come off being almost exact mirror images of each other.

well in Episode II there was a bit of dual wielding going on. Jedi are protectors though. How many police officers do you see carrying two pistols? :)

That is because in real life it is impossible to dual wield a handgun... if trying you wouldnt hit a van standing 5m in front of you and only hurt your wrists from the recoil really really bad.

From my time in the (German) army I know that most people have a hard time hitting a mansized target over 25meters range, free-hand, standing, with all the time you need to aim.

Anything else are just Hollywood fairy tales.

We must not forget that lightsaber blades are weightless. Which eliminates the need to have enough muscle, but makes another problem, to be agile and to have quick reflexes so you don't cut your own arm. And, most lightsaber users use the force to augment the lightsaber swinging to they don't hit themselves, along with the fact that lightsaber users spend tens of years in training.

They spend life times in training. And yes you do need strength. The blades may be weightless but to swing them with velocity requires muscle action. Watch Anakin vs Dooku or the freight train that is Vader. Strength is required, not to use the weapon but to fight with it.

I said years of training because let's face it, you will need years of additional training to not suck with a second weapon. Talent can be negated with a strong enough force connection, but again not forever. All I'm saying is dual wielding anything is usually a bad idea that requires considerably more effort and investment for minimum gains.