Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why all the British accents on Empire side?

Bazouk

Possibly Not for much longer :D.

Hope it is for a while longer, Scotland would not cope well on it's own, most of the money it spends on public services is actually English tax money (somewere between 55%-60%), also the EU has already said that if Scotland goes independent it won't have EU membership (which is something the nationalists are relying on).

I have Scottish cousins (and Welsh cousins as well) and would not like to see them up a certain creek without a paddle, not to mention the complications with the armed forces (Scots are excellent Soldiers, Pilots and Sailors).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the IMPS in the original trilogy were british. The original films were filmed moslty in ENgland, at the Elstree Studios in Northern London. Theres a "Tesco" grocery store (big one, two stories!) store right nest to it now. You can see form the Tesco on the sound stage it is written "George Lucas Sound Stage".

I am happy with the British accents. I a m tired of hearing our old boring voices all the time.

This ^^

It's actually quite simple...

Imperials have different accents than the Republic to make them different. To you it's American and British accent, but in Star Wars there is no British and American accents, just like they don't have African Americans, Irish, Hispanics, Asians, ect ect.

It dates back to one of the same reasons why the Imperials have a problem with aliens.

When Lucas was filming the first movie, he was filming a large chunk of it in the UK, with a UK staff and UK union rules, with required a certain percentage of UK actors. Lucas being the kind of guy who doesn't much like being told what to do, put his required contingent of UK actors around the Evil Overlord's table. And since he blew his makeup budget on the Mos Eisley cantina, they were all old, white, male humans.

When he ended up with a bigger budget and the Expanded Universe, he ended up having to come up with a dodge for why everyone at the Evil Overlord's table was a bunch of old, white, male humans with BBC regulation accents.

I do think the 'British' accents are one of the reasons why I mostly play as an Imperial (That, and they have more interesting stories/characters) :)

Its probably due to the fact most imps in the original trilogy were played by British actors, although you do see a lot of Brits cast as villains. I do sometimes wonder whether it is because of the Revolution, or because our actors just make great villains.

American's dont hate british, nor do british hate americans, plus bioware is a canadian company. But anyway, you got to have diversity, i mean hey the jedi consular doesnt sound american and i dont think bounty hunter sounds british so, ya kno, they mix and match depending on role. Edited by MrBimo

Its probably due to the fact most imps in the original trilogy were played by British actors, although you do see a lot of Brits cast as villains. I do sometimes wonder whether it is because of the Revolution, or because our actors just make great villains.

It's because we Brits can sound intelligent, a hero can be lucky and stupid, but a villian has to be clever and able to plan ahead. Just think about the Hollywood heroes, how many of them actually sound smart, while our British villians simply radiate intelligence, charm and sophistication.

I live in the south of England and I have a very similar accent to that of the Imperials in the game (it's called Received Pronunciation) so do most of the people I know who live in this area.

It's funny when you go on holiday because you have that very stereotypical British accent... the amount of times me and my friends got asked if we like tea :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.