Plasma Cells Vs. Armor Piercing Cells

Odinzu

If this question and/or thread already exists I do apologize, but I was unable to locate it.

For the back story, I am a lvl 41 Commando gunnery specc'd. Im just now getting into the assault tree and I noticed that there are some talents that increase the plasma cell buff in that tree. So I got to thinking...(gotta stop doing that), maybe I am not the only one out there confused about the different ammo cells.

When should I be using Plasma cells and when should I use Armor-Piercing?

My initial thought process was to use Plasma for soloing/heroics, and AP for PVP and flashpoints/oparations because there would need to be concerned with enemy mobs armor rating. Of course this was simply what "made" sense to me and I really have no way of doing any dps testing to see the difference.

Does any commando's out there have a better grasp on this subject that wouldn't mind shedding a little light??

PVE mobs still have armor, ever notice hitting a droid with 0 stacks of grav round vs hittiing them when they have 5 stacks? Also in the gunnery tree is a armor piercing round upgrade talent. Lastly all you primary skills in gunnery, full auto, grav round, and 40 point explosion ability deal kinetic damage which is affected by armor.

Basically from what i have come to understand

Gunnery=Armor piercing

Assualt= Plasma

If i am wrong, please correct me

Edited by Tipkaee

PVE mobs still have armor........

Gunnery=Armor piercing

Assualt= Plasma

If i am wrong, please correct me

I would agree with that statement ^^^^

And Support Cell is for medic of course.

I almost always have my Armor piercing cell loaded, but when I'm helping my lower level guildmates through a flashpoint/mission (that's easy for me) U use my support cell on them.

Gunnery=Armor piercing

Assualt= Plasma

Absolutely correct. It depends on spec as to which ammo you will use.

Gunnery: AP Cells

Assault: Plasma Cells

Combat Medic: Support Cells