Cap Gear Stats in PVP; a proposal

MrVicchio

I completely agree with you OP. I hate how so many of the responses seem to be "Well it happened to me, so it should happen to you" or "I have elite gear I deserve to win".

I think it detracts from the competitiveness of PvP. At the moment there are a couple classes that are very gear dependent. Sentinel and Scoundrel seem to be the best examples. Being undergeared hurts them immensely while geared they are absolute terrors.

Imagine if everyone who entered a battleground had their gear/weapons replaced with a Battleground set (people would have the ability to choose and customize their default BG set). Think of the results. The Sorcerer who leads in damage over other Sorcerers, suddenly that is meaningful. It shows people who was truly performing the best, and it would feel good leading the BG in something.

I think that alone would do so much for the game. And if PvP gear worked for world PvP, hey, that's fine. I'm pretty sure in that case it doesn't matter if you are a Battlemaster or a Duelist. If you get caught 1v5 you'll die all the same.'

Edit:

A continuation of this idea would be that if brackets were implemented (i.e. better players matched up together), then they could be rewarded with a higher tier WZ gear. The incentive becomes "Hey if I play and do well enough to move up a bracket or whatnot, then I get better gear, etc." rather than "Hey if I have a whole lot of time to kill, then I get better gear".

Edited by shewebacca

Gear parity while an idea removes an element from the MMO genre that many people like. I couldnt care less for titles or mounts but knowing that as I have fun pvping my character will become progressively stronger is enticing to me. I do not need to have it all at once but the reality is that I do want to be rewarded with improved gear.

Opposing views tend to be too extreme, the suggestion that everyone who likes the status quo just wants to stomp less geared players are as bad as the suggestion that this is a simple l2p issue and noobs should quit whining. Gear has an impact on pvp so the real question is what level of balance is really required, with a little effort a newish 50 can be competitive and a week or so of being an underdog really can improve ability.

To add some additional perspective a cap on stats would suit my situation (though I am against it) as I will never have access to the best pvp gear as I do not pve on my pvp character and the best gear set ups require both.

I believe that gear is not the deciding factor in fights, it is a contributing factor but in the long term ability, tactics and team work have a greater impact than gear unless the disparity is huge, given that a nightmare mode geared BM vs a new 50 is a great disparity there is very little evidence that 8 of those BMs vs 8 new 50s is the standard warzone experience, the general mix of players on each side should be the focus of any balancing. In that vein i believe a valor based match making system would be preferable to any changes to the gear.

I am currently a valor 57 sage geared in mostly champion pieces to put my opinion in context.

Gear parity while an idea removes an element from the MMO genre that many people like. I couldnt care less for titles or mounts but knowing that as I have fun pvping my character will become progressively stronger is enticing to me. I do not need to have it all at once but the reality is that I do want to be rewarded with improved gear.

Opposing views tend to be too extreme, the suggestion that everyone who likes the status quo just wants to stomp less geared players are as bad as the suggestion that this is a simple l2p issue and noobs should quit whining. Gear has an impact on pvp so the real question is what level of balance is really required, with a little effort a newish 50 can be competitive and a week or so of being an underdog really can improve ability.

To add some additional perspective a cap on stats would suit my situation (though I am against it) as I will never have access to the best pvp gear as I do not pve on my pvp character and the best gear set ups require both.

I believe that gear is not the deciding factor in fights, it is a contributing factor but in the long term ability, tactics and team work have a greater impact than gear unless the disparity is huge, given that a nightmare mode geared BM vs a new 50 is a great disparity there is very little evidence that 8 of those BMs vs 8 new 50s is the standard warzone experience, the general mix of players on each side should be the focus of any balancing. In that vein i believe a valor based match making system would be preferable to any changes to the gear.

I am currently a valor 57 sage geared in mostly champion pieces to put my opinion in context.

I'm sorry you feel becoming OP is a necessary requirement of PVP. I do not. I think that's sooo last decade MMO thinking.

It takes between one and ten days of steady play to close much of that gear gap, once you hit 50. I hit 50 five days ago, and my agent is in 9 pieces of champion gear. This required hitting 50 with 1k/1k marks and completing the daily/ weekly quests. It was a few hours per day. Certainly, I may have been a bit lucky, and others have experienced less fortune with bags. That is being addressed in the next patch.

The gear gap may be wide, but you won't have to suffer it for very long.

I'm sorry you feel becoming OP is a necessary requirement of PVP. I do not. I think that's sooo last decade MMO thinking.

A lot of things are 'last decade' in MMO thinking, including 'classes' and 'levels.' Some new MMO's are challenging this and trying to innovate. I wouldn't expect TOR to do so, however -- it's designed to be a triple-AAA blockbuster, not to carve out a niche market.

The QQing I hear is from you and those like you. Heaven forbid that your massive amounts of freetime not be rewarded with huge advantages in all aspects of the game world :rolleyes:

I never said "same stats" at 50, I said put a cap on stats for PVP.

I never cried about being disadvantaged, I pointed out the cost/benefit of thinking "differently"

There are plenty of ways to reward players for PVP, more awesome face roll gear is merely one, and IMHO, one that in the end, causes far more long term issues then it solves.

lol you think i have bm ? i never said that. I work a 40 hour job, i only play in the evenings and a bit over the weekend's... i get outgeared all the time. I just dont get it people that play more get better stuff... its aways been like that, look at other mmo's war/wow/eq/eqII/rift. maybe the only exception is arena's in wow.

anyways if i put in enough time i dont want to be rewarded with some vanity crap or credits.

Give me gear, and if you nerf pvp gear ppl will just come in their pve uber hc raid gear.

And if you think BM's out of reach try getting in a guild that farms end game ops.

I'am well aware that by the time i have full bm their's gonna be a new set for warhero's and such you wont hear me cry then as you wont hear me now.

gear has aways been the braggin right's everybody can cee and feel.

i do have to admit the 1.1 fail was massive still BW has been on the case and individual ppl who did the exploit got valor removed so dont keep the QQ on that going plz.

Edited by Obsydian_nl