Just accept the invite if you're on the same quest.

Dregolas

So if I send you a blind invite with the intent of allowing you to get credit for a mob im about to kill - thats rude?

I think most people are going to say that in that particular case, no, its not rude.

You do have some good points, and its true that the blind invite is usually not intended to be rude. But the fact is that some people like to be treated as...well, people, and find that wordless invites in general are very impersonal and not very social.

I think there is most definitely some middle ground area where a blind invite, under certain conditions, is helpful. But in most cases it is the least desirable way to be invited into a group if you are the kind of person who plays an MMO to socially interact with other people.

If, however, you are the kind of player who likes to play "efficiently" and "quickly" and likes to plow through things and get stuff done, then the blind invite makes more sense. The problem is that these are very different playstyles and are really not very compatible with one another.

So all in all, its probably for the best that the "social" people keep refusing the blind invites so that the "efficient" people can end up grouped with people who share similar goals.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I send you a blind invite with the intent of allowing you to get credit for a mob im about to kill - thats rude?

I'm being rude when my intent was to help your progression, and I required nothing in return and didn't benefit from it in any way?

You're pretty much saying you can butt into anyone's business anytime, as long as you have good intentions.

Your way = insta ignore.

If you don't even have the common courtesy to ask, what makes you think i will even acknowledge you?

Edited by itekazzawrrlic

I think most people are going to say that in that particular case, no, its not rude.

You do have some good points, and its true that the blind invite is usually not intended to be rude. But the fact is that some people like to be treated as...well, people, and find that wordless invites in general are very impersonal and not very social.

I think there is most definitely some middle ground area where a blind invite, under certain conditions, is helpful. But in most cases it is the least desirable way to be invited into a group if you are the kind of person who plays an MMO to socially interact with other people.

If, however, you are the kind of player who likes to play "efficiently" and "quickly" and likes to plow through things and get stuff done, then the blind invite makes more sense. The problem is that these are very different playstyles and are really not very compatible with one another.

So all in all, its probably for the best that the "social" people keep refusing the blind invites so that the "efficient" people can end up grouped with people who share similar goals.

You hit it right on the head, good sir. If there were Forum Points for accurate statements, I would nominate you.

I'm being rude when my intent was to help your progression, and I required nothing in return and didn't benefit from it in any way?

Yes. If the option exists to ascertain whether the invite is desired, and you neglect to ask beforehand, it is rude.

That rudeness is more excusable in the specific context of a mission NPC with a slow respawn time. But that does not make a blind invite polite.

Manners are free. Learn to use them. They will ease your path in more areas of life than you might think.

Since you provided zero communication with the other party, exactly how would they have any clue what your intentions are??????

For all they know, you are a griefer, who will chain pull mobs on to them and then slip away and laugh about leaving them to die. Becasue there are douche bags in MMOs that live for doing this kind of stuff. How do they know you are not one of them? Especialy when you won't communicate with them in chat.

Edited by Meluna

Since you provided zero communication with the other party, exactly how would they have any clue what your intentions are??????

For all they know, you are a griefer, who will chain pull mobs on to them and then slip away and laugh about leaving them to die. Becasue there are douche bags in MMOs that live for doing this kind of stuff. How do they know you are not one of them? Especialy when you won't communicate with them in chat.

Seriously, all your posts collectively show me that your intentions are self-interested at best, and certainly not considering any interests of the other party. Your responses in this thread validate why I don't take unsolicited invites from other people.

Exactly....

Just accept invites, man. Loot rewards are MUCH better even for a party of 2. It speeds up your questing time, you get better loot, and you get a social element. Why not party up?

People need to loosen up, man. There's a good co-op levelling experience here for people willing to participate.

You'd only slow me down.

lol most borked up logic ever

also. you get xp and gold bonus for grouping and handing the quest WHILE GROUPED

aka if you stay in group not only do you get more stuff, but also if you are heading back, offer to the other player to stay in group, that way they can holocall join and hand in the quest together without having to go the same way both

srsly ... lots of benefits, i can understand ninja invites , but when its obvious you both are competing for mobs , take the high road and tell the player that it is considered good manner to whisper first

Edited by LaVolpex

Just accept invites, man. Loot rewards are MUCH better even for a party of 2. It speeds up your questing time, you get better loot, and you get a social element. Why not party up?

People need to loosen up, man. There's a good co-op levelling experience here for people willing to participate.

Because i don't accept invites from rude people no matter how great the benefit. And besides, anyone who doesn't even have the common courtesy to ask first isn't worth being social with imo.

to the OP: Sorry mate, but I usually decline what I call "ninja invites".... If I see someone going to the same entrance as me, I tend to ask if he/she is on the same quest, then ask him/her if he/she wants to team up. If that person answers yes, there goes an invite.

Perhaps. But I don't like to be loose..I like being..uh..tight.

Anyway, I don't want my questing experience to go any faster. I have 8 toons, no 50's..because I want to see it all..and at MY pace, not yours...or his..or hers..or theirs *points at other random forum people*

When I wish social situations, I have a guild more than happy to provide. I wasn't aware of better loot...that may be one point in your favor if it happens to be true....

to the OP: Sorry mate, but I usually decline what I call "ninja invites".... If I see someone going to the same entrance as me, I tend to ask if he/she is on the same quest, then ask him/her if he/she wants to team up. If that person answers yes, there goes an invite.

There are certain "dungeons" where there is only 1 quest possible. This mostly occurs with belsavis dailies. If you are in a certain place right outside the Imperial Domination Outpost, its obvious that you came there to loot 5 trash quest items from the mobs. Ninja Invite means "lets work together to loot the items, not compete for said items"

Not saying you are wrong to decline the invites, just pointing out the intent of said ninja invites

You'd only slow me down.

^^ Agreed. I hate waiting on someone and the feeling of being obligated to help them when I've finished. I level fast, I quest fast, I love the challenge of soloing the hardest content. No interest in fast, easy mode.

I understand that some people might want to quest alone. I'm one of them. But if I see someone on the same quest as me, and it's a choice between inviting them to a group, or competing for the same objectives like an idiot; I'm going to invite. I really don't understand why some people won't accept when they're nowhere near being finished with the quest.

Are you asking first? Because at least for me, I never accept unsolicited invites. If someone were to /whisper me and say something along the line of "hey, I'm doing the same mission, wanna group up so we don't have to compete?" then I'd be "like sure thing" and then I'd probably toss out an invite to them. If you are asking first, and they are ignoring you, it's possible they have chat turned off. But the way you your saying it, makes it sound like your just inviting them, without even saying anything (and that's kinda rude)

I understand that some people might want to quest alone. I'm one of them. But if I see someone on the same quest as me, and it's a choice between inviting them to a group, or competing for the same objectives like an idiot; I'm going to invite. I really don't understand why some people won't accept when they're nowhere near being finished with the quest.

I HATE people like you. You assume that everyone else is like you.

You assume that everyone wants to team up with folk they don't know, people not on voice coms, someone who may or may not be able to play their char to it's fullest.

If I wanted to team up with folks, I'd have a LFG flag up. I'd be spaming the local channel. I'd be asking anyone who approaches the NPC giving out the mission.

I understand why they put the same quest flag on, but if you want to team with someone, start a conversation with them.

DON'T blind invite.