Languages in Star Wars: How is it that everyone understands them?

LadyNightArrow

This is something that I have always wondered. How is it that everyone seems to understand, not necessarily speak, but understand every other person's language? :confused: This includes the languages of species that speak ancient tongues, like Khem Val does. I don't know too much about Star Wars lore, so I don't know if this has ever been explained in any of the comics or books. Do the inhabitants of the Star Wars universe have a part of their brain that is more developed and thus they are able to understand languages better? Or does the Force bless everyone with the gift of tongues when they are born? This is an honest to goodness question born of unfettered curiosity.

Post your thoughts/theories here. :D

Edited by LadyNightArrow

Well, the languages that pop up most often are Basic, Huttese and Durese. Everybody who can form the sounds can speak Basic (and those who can't can at least understand it) as it's the language of the two largest 'civilisations' in the TOR universe- the Republic and the Empire.

The Duros are supposed to be among the most widely-spread and widely-traveled races in the galaxy, and also among the most common traders as well as being one of the first species to invent space travel, so their language would be pretty widely spread and well-known. Also, Durese was the ancestor of Basic in a way, so some degree of mutual understanding is to be expected, like you could happily get by reading Chaucer.

The Hutts have tremendous influence in the commercial world, so it's only expected that their language would spread far and wide.

As far as Khem Val's language goes, I think an educated Sith would have to have some experience in ancient languages that related to gaining more power. They'd go for any advantage they could get, really. :)

During the Hundred Years' War, it was common for educated English and French to speak both languages as well as Latin, as all three were very important in their own ways- it's no stretch of the imagination that most educated humans and aliens in the TOR universe could at least get by in the three most common languages around them.

It's a better idea than universal translators, anyway.....

Edited by Mr_Cuu

Your explanations make sense and I can see people understanding/speaking some of the basic, mainstream languages. To an extent, I can even buy into people understanding all of the beeps and blips of the astromech droids. But, what gets me is that everyone (player characters) seems to understand Wookie, Urdnot (sp?), and some of the other not so mainstream languages. I can see how understanding every language a character runs into fits into game mechanics. But, I don't think I'd be able to buy into this aspect of a character when speaking about story and lore. As I said before, I haven't read the comics or books. I am going to add the books onto my summer reading list. I just hope I don't run into the character understanding every language under the stars, unless he or she is a linguist. To me that's just not believable for a character.

Force users can understand the general meaning of almost any language through the force. Revan once used a more extreme version of this power when he ripped the Rakata's language straight out of a Rakata's head so he could understand them fully.

For others I would imagine the computers in ear pieces and implants have some sort of basic language software or that the more common languages they would encounter would be learned as part of a basic education.

Tbh, what baffles me even more than humans understanding Hutt language and so on, is that everyone, regardless of race, understand a droid that goes "bzzz bzzz bzzzt bzzz" and can translate it without even looking at their datapad or something. Now those are some linguistic skills right there.

Well, the languages that pop up most often are Basic, Huttese and Durese. Everybody who can form the sounds can speak Basic (and those who can't can at least understand it) as it's the language of the two largest 'civilisations' in the TOR universe- the Republic and the Empire.

The Duros are supposed to be among the most widely-spread and widely-traveled races in the galaxy, and also among the most common traders as well as being one of the first species to invent space travel, so their language would be pretty widely spread and well-known. Also, Durese was the ancestor of Basic in a way, so some degree of mutual understanding is to be expected, like you could happily get by reading Chaucer.

The Hutts have tremendous influence in the commercial world, so it's only expected that their language would spread far and wide.

As far as Khem Val's language goes, I think an educated Sith would have to have some experience in ancient languages that related to gaining more power. They'd go for any advantage they could get, really. :)

Ha-ha, yet you cant play as duros. Wtg bioware xD

Generally with the astromech droids it is like someone posted earlier that some people can understand basically what they want through the force. In the original trilogy Luke seemed to have a basic understanding of R2-D2's beep's. But mostly it could be that the character's have been around droids so much that they can just make an educated guess what they want. And if I remember correctly in the books that I read there are sometimes when the characters don't understand what is being said and need someone to translate. But yeah alot of it could be attributed to the Force and habit.

Generally with the astromech droids it is like someone posted earlier that some people can understand basically what they want through the force. In the original trilogy Luke seemed to have a basic understanding of R2-D2's beep's. But mostly it could be that the character's have been around droids so much that they can just make an educated guess what they want. And if I remember correctly in the books that I read there are sometimes when the characters don't understand what is being said and need someone to translate. But yeah alot of it could be attributed to the Force and habit.

Actually, with R2, IIRC, Luke can't understand him. As mentioned, he can guess from the tone of the sounds and R2's behavior, but it's rather like humans communicating with dogs. The only times I can remember that they hold actual conversations without C3P0 interpreting are when Luke's in the X-Wing and his little readout displays what R2 is "saying".

there is no explanation, Star Wars universe is full of such weird examples.

C-3PO is the one who did most of the translation in the movies - from R2-D2 to Jabba.

We can only assume that ppl speak multiple languages, but considering how many species Star Wars has, it is a bit streched

language system is not so deneloped in SW as it is in some other Sci-Fi or Fantasy franchises

I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't understand a word they're saying. I was so happy when I learnt about all the voice acting, then so incredibly disappointed to learn more than half of it went on gibberish.

I didn't come here to read subtitles.

• 3 weeks later...
I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't understand a word they're saying. I was so happy when I learnt about all the voice acting, then so incredibly disappointed to learn more than half of it went on gibberish.

I didn't come here to read subtitles.

and I was so happy that they kept that from Kotor. Feels more real, than everybody speaking... english!