The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is DPS Vanguard viable for PvE?

EasX

Me and my friends were deciding to go all Troopers and I decided I want to go DPS, I didn't want to go Commando because of their mobility issues. So is DPS Vanguard good for PvE?

:jawa_confused:

They are viable in PVE. I lvl'd as Tactics and although its fun, I had some trouble soloing certain areas at higher levels (35+).

Both Tactics and Assault are however 10 meter or less classes. You have a couple of ranged abilities, but your best damage is done within that 10 meter range.

If your leveling with your friend then you shouldn't have too many issues. Keep a healer companion out and a good DPS companion and you'll be good to go.

For PVE, DPS is what you are measured on. Having played both, I struggle to see how Vanguard in DPS mode is capable of beating a Commando in DPS mode - based on ammo management and per hit values. We will know better when combat metres come out. It doesn't mean that Vanguard DPS is bad, but I just presume it will be less

I've done just fine so far up to 41 as an Assault Vanguard- not that a Commando can't deliver like a gun turret, but we do it fine up close and personal. I actually usually end up DPSing, but can pick up the slack in emergencies.

The "hits the fan" cooldowns like Reactive Shield are a nice bonus if you accidentally peel a mob at the wrong time, too.