The PvP Challenge: Please Read

Brytag

hi guys

Im sure many of you all who read these forums see the constant threads about "this class is OP" or "this class is weak!" etc etc

So i was sitting at work wondering how bad is it really?

A bit about me. i been a avid pvp'er since SWG. I play MMOs for pvp. I played in AoC, WoW, Rift, WAR etc etc. WoW was my main game for years. I wasnt the best arena player. usually averaged around 1800 in bc and 2000 in wotlk.

anyways to the challenge. here is what i propose. I want the community to vote on what they feel is the most underpowered class and what they feel is the most overpowered class.

you could post something like this:

underpowered - jedi guardian overpowered - jedi sage

what i will do is roll the underpowered class to lvl 50. Usually takes me 2 weeks to get a class to lvl 50. i will lvl the class via pvp starting at lvl 14 (for sprint) all the way to lvl 50.

i will post screenshots of my matches. I would make videos but i have no idea how to. If i find people are really interested in how im progressing with the challenge, i will hit the net and learn now to make videos / stream.

after i spend time getting the underpowered class to 50 and gearing it out in at least champion gear, i will then roll the "overpowered" class and do the same thing. I am aware this will take awhile but i think it could prove to show some good data on class balance. Obviously people will be more interested in lvl 50 pvp as thats what really counts, but i still plan to show my progress thru lvling as well to help with the comparison. my goal is to show a good portion of lvl 14-49 pvp maybe like 30 games) and then 30-40 games at lvl 50.

few rules:

1) I will always solo queue.

2) I want you guys to even pick my server and faction. Maybe u guys have a good suggestion on a "pro" pvp server. I will roll there. i prefer an east coast server only cuz i live there and i tend to have higher latency on west coast servers.

3) I will play the warzones to WIN and not just try and top damage / healing or farm medals. so ya some matches my stats may be bad if im defending a node etc.

4) I will stay in the matches till the end regardless if we are winning or losing

5) any other rules u guys can think of to help make this as accurate as possible.

anyways i hope u guys keep this thread alive. provided people take an interest in this challenge and this thread doesnt die within 2 hours, i will post the class i will play as soon as i feel there is a strong support towards one class.

again i will start with the "underpowered class" first.

ok so lets heR what u guys have to say. I look forward to trying this. if people arent interested, then thanks for taking the time to read this.

Underpowered at what bracket? 1-49 or 50 ?

good question. Im gonna say 50 cuz thats the pvp that really "counts". mainly just looking for a generalization of what the community feels is the weakest class in the game atm. is there a particular class thats weak from 10-49 but alot stronger at 50?

what's under/overpowered is totally subjective, 10 people will give you 10 different answers.

every advanced class shines when played well in group pvp

some classes are better than some other classes in 1v1

nearly all nerf calls are a l2p issue

Edited by Roak

I feel class balance is reasonably good right now, but I do feel like certain classes have to work harder than others. I would probably vote this way according to what you're saying though:

UP - Either JK/SW AC (truthfully, neither are truly "UP" it's more just underwhelming, or req A LOT of work to succeed)

OP - Comm/Merc or Sage/Sorc healer (more on this second choice below)

I know you're talking about doing this 100% solo, but the problem is that it's a group game. Some things are completely fine when you're going it alone, but when you add something else it becomes a little over the top. Example:

Truthfully, I feel sage/sorc healers aren't too bad if they're playing around solo, but when they're guarded by a decent tank? It rockets straight into semi-ridiculous. It doesn't matter if they can't really kill you, because PvP is objective based. They can side on a node/door/etc...and you'll never be able to kill them, while they can disrupt your cap/bomb placement forever.

For the record, this is NOT a nerf call. I actually am completely ok with class balance in PvP at the moment.

Edited by Pheros

playing as a shadow i find that most of the classes seem pretty balanced vs us.

we have about an equal oppertunity to kill them the only reason we tend to win more is we stealth and pick the fight in our favor.

I think that AOEs could be toned down a bit but thats just my opinion.

ya i know its subjective. i was just trying to see how what the majority class people would pick and then play that class. but reading everyone's replies ppl feel the game is not too bad balanced wise. odd with so many calling for nerfs and buffs in other threads.

ya i know its subjective. i was just trying to see how what the majority class people would pick and then play that class. but reading everyone's replies ppl feel the game is not too bad balanced wise. odd with so many calling for nerfs and buffs in other threads.

I think many people just get frustrated that certain classes are easier to be good, while others require a great deal more effort to be just as successful.

When I play my guardian, it can be very frustrating to feel almost powerless against ranged in certain circumstances. That frustration can become very irrational if I let it get to me too much.

Some people become so irrational that they come in here and rant.

Brytag.

It really depends on player skill and gear. Also, whether a fight is a group fight or fragmenting into small skirmishes like 1v1 or 2v2. This is what I can tell you about Operatives in my experience.

Operatives:

Concealment:

> No mobility: no leap, charge, force speed, etc.

> No group utility: no shields, bubbles, taunts, pulls, pushes, knockbacks.

> Low sustained damage, especially since their resource system is very restrictive.

> Very low AOE dmg: Frag Grenade 6s CD, and Orbital Strike 3s cast time, 60s CD.

> Low survivability: Shield Probe that absorbs about 2k damage (with my gear, my Stats in Sig), 45s CD; and Evasion with 100% evasion to melee and ranged attacks for 3s (seems to work mostly against white damage), 60s CD.

> Less CC than most other classes.

- Imo, Operatives are the worst in any group fights as they cannot bring anything to it.

- They can still do good in 1v1, but even if they get the jump on someone, a fight can sway in either direction depending on available CDs. In my experience, a well played class can always turn the table on an Operative if they have a few CDs up. If the opponent's CC-breaker was ready to use on 2nd stun, the fight will be almost surely lost by the Operative.

- They still have the highest "pre-loaded" burst, that is fired only once from stealth, but sub-par damage outside of that. Even that burst is largely ineffective in any team fights.

- Other classes can still pack a punch and high burst continuously, and put higher and extended pressure on opponents, especially on enemy healers, without the restrictions that Operatives have.

- They can still stomp PUGs and worse geared players, but that's it.

Medicine/Healing:

Decent healers but outclassed by the other 2 healing classes, mercs and sorcs.

If you want to read more, check my post here. This was pre nerf:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2134139#post2134139

Edited by Treplos