Ways to ask for help in general chat?

DragonAgeOrgins

For random heroic quests and such on planets i usually just say "Anyone up for "quest"".

I usually get responses. The issue i have found with this game is that i find people are afraid of inviting other people. If i see someone doing the same thing as me i will usually send them an invite even on soloable quests. Gets things done faster plus with the hand ins you get social points.

Bar none - the fastest way to get a group is to watch people run up to the mission giver and /whisper them just as soon as they start to run off to the next mission giver. %50 are returning the mission- but the other %50 are thinking, "GREAT another ******* HEROIC X+ that I don't know anybody to group with for."

i.e. they are having the same problem you are.

The game is brand new- everybody is either a newb or an *****hat you probably wouldn't want to have for a friend. Worst thing that is going to happen is someone is going to type some s***. Just let it slide off- and keep looking for people who want to have fun.

I'm not saying you do this yourself, but I suppose one way would be to take the emphasis off yourself (not for any particular reason, more that, when you *do* focus on yourself, it might put people into a certain mindset). :)

Example:

"Can someone help me do this heroic4?"

compared to

"Would anyone like to join me in doing this heroic4?"

You're emphasising the teamwork aspect. Throw in a smiley at the end (unless you hate them or something), and you should get some replies. :)

And don't worry too much. Bar any really odd way of asking, most people will be used to these sort of announcements/requests in General now. So no one's going to raise eyebrows when you ask. If you don't get any responses, don't take it to heart. :) People often won't reply if they have no interest, not because of something else.

Well, I hope that helped a bit. ;o

Yeah, I tend not to read the chat window too often to be honest. But sometimes I see a lot of people connecting, and grouping up for Heroics that way. I'm more of a single player, except grouping with my brother, so I haven't done the Heroic 4's. I usually sneak back and do the Heroic 2+ once I get a few levels up and have a companion. Just for fun.

So it's probably just bad luck that no one else is ready or available for that quest at the time. I've noticed that people hang out sometimes in front of the entrance and invite to groups that way. No chatting involved, just group for the quest and then disband.

/1 Help, I'm having trouble understanding what button to push.. do it for me.

/1 Help, SWTOR is hard..

/1 Help, SWTOR has nightmaremode and that's hard stuff.

/1 Help, I've fallen and can't get up..

Or..

/1 dps - LFG FP HM only

/1 rdps - LFG FP HM only

/1 mdps - LFG FP HM only

Or..

/1 15/f/CA lfg but I don't chat in vent

Or..

/1 Hey guys, this is the BEST MMO EVER, let's group up and go kill stuff..

Or..

/g Hey, time to get our dailies done lets go..

There just aren't that many "good" ways to find a group outside of using that LFG tool in the who list.

I currently am a bit socially awkward sometimes in game. Other then shouting with /1 LF help or assit with [this quest] I hear cricket's in the background. What are some good ways to ask for help that will get a response. How would you phrase it?

Like a lot of people have mentioned, I also like to ask in a more conversational way rather than "LFG [heroic X]." I usually like to approach it by asking if anyone needs help with that heroic, something along the lines of "Anyone need a hand with [Heroic X]."

But don't take a lack of response as you asking the question wrong, because there is nothing wrong with using "LFG...." More likely its just your in a spot where the rest of the population is engaged, their chat is moving quick and they didnt see you request, no one needs the quest yet. It happens more often then you might think that your just threading the needle.