Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

bad advertising

Rethoren

i have to say that i love the commercials for this game, epic jedi/sith battles, fast jumps from scene to scene, followed up by THE OLD REPUBLIC AVAILABLE NOW!

its attention grabbing, its awesome, and it's beautiful.

then it always cuts away to a quick 5 second spot for Episode 1 3D...the most hated of the entire series.

I know i'm not an advertising exec, but i do know a few things about psychology, why would they stick a 5 second spot for the most hated movie of the star wars series onto the end of their commercial for the game everyone wants to succeed? That just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and it will only serve to inform people uninformed on the subject that the two properties are linked by more than just having the star wars brand name.

I'm pretty sure Episode II was quite a bit worse than Episode I. George Lucas is terrible at writing dialogue, even WORSE at writing love dialog. And Episode II had all sorts of ****ed up dialogue. So...I'm pretty sure Episode II is more hated than I. I am actually excited to see TPM in theaters again.

even though number 2 is the more objectively worse movie, number 1 is still the one i think people hate the most simply because everyone had such high expectations for it. Such a gigantic let down for everyone. Number 2 everyone had much lower expectations for due to the problems with number 1.

Not at all. If your a guy who likes the Stars Wars films, but aren't a huge fan of the EU you probably haven't really paid attention to the Old Republic. But by attaching the film and the game together, a person like the one above, is much more likely to take a look at it.

It's actually quiet brilliant.

Episode II was acceptable simply for the fight scenes being good... its when any character attempts to speak that it all goes horribly wrong.

Episode I was actually a bit better IMO just because Liam Neeson was a main char. and can actually act his way out of a paper bag.

As soon as we transitioned to Hayden being a main char. things went south, now you have bad writing combined with an actor that should be doing taco bell commercials.

I don't think you realize that the majority of people didn't despise the three new films that came out. While sure they do suck by many people standards there still is a massive fan base of people who are just interested in Star Wars in any facet that it comes. Whether it be the cartoons the three new movies or even the holidays special for that matter they just love Star Wars and that's the bottom line.

When it comes to Star Wars the Old Republic obviously they are going to try and get people to buy the game but with the new 3-D release of the movie coming out why wouldn't they take that opportunity to advertise for that as well.

Pretty sure Episode I was the only good movie of the prequel trilogy. And I use the term "good" only in context to this trilogy. The environments felt much more tactile (holy ****, lots of real actual sets!), and pod racing was cool. I can't really denounce the movie for having Jar Jar and child Anakin, and as bad as the writing is, it isn't nearly as terrible as II and III. Also, emo adult Anakin is a turn off, as is most of the schlock Lucas decided to include prominently in Clones and Sith. Mace Windu fights like a *****, Anakin QQs, Padme is vapid, Palpatine can somehow fool the entire senate comprising of elected officials with extra chromosomes into staying in power (I don't know if this is a satire on world politics, since it is George Lucas, this is probably just a coincidence), and yadda yadda yadda.

Basically the only things I would look forward to in the 3D release are:

-Podrace sequence

-End space battle

-Duel of Fates

It is a shame I am pretty much blind in my left eye, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to see it in 3D, and everything would be a blur. :(

Edited by SDTAXantos

I am not a huge stickler for Star Wars but Episode 1 was the worst of the series, but I will still watch it for the entertainment value. I actually cant wait to see the original trilogy in 3D in 3 years.

@SDTAX - Yeah the space battles and race should be epic in 3D!

Edited by AlphaBraddox

Episode II was acceptable simply for the fight scenes being good... its when any character attempts to speak that it all goes horribly wrong.

Episode I was actually a bit better IMO just because Liam Neeson was a main char. and can actually act his way out of a paper bag.

As soon as we transitioned to Hayden being a main char. things went south, now you have bad writing combined with an actor that should be doing taco bell commercials.

I like my Taco Bell commercials, please don't ruin them.

I liked every star wars movie and i think the cartoon is actually quite good too (i have seen maybe 6 episodes, weird animation but you get used to it..and they fight alot!

im not sure who all the millions of people are who hate the first 3 films (ep. 1,2,3) but i personally liked them all and have no complaints about them.

maybe it's the superfans who did not like them? im not a superfan, i think they are good movies and i like the subject. but im not a hardcore star wars fan.

Edited by Aisar

Hayden, Natalie and all those folks are excellent actors. GL just directed them wrong.

I've seen some of Hayden's other work and I thought he was Good.

even though number 2 is the more objectively worse movie, number 1 is still the one i think people hate the most simply because everyone had such high expectations for it. Such a gigantic let down for everyone. Number 2 everyone had much lower expectations for due to the problems with number 1.

If "everyone" is the vocal minority of basement dwelling mouth breathers that plauge the internet 24/7/365 crying about the prequals...then yes, everyone was let down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.