Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

R.I.P Physics: How Bioware butchered Netwon

ninurtacig

Are you sure? I was under the impression that falling death and PVP deaths did not damage equipment. But I would have to verify to be sure but that is how I believe it works.

LOL I think you are correct.

This just in: no game has realistic physics.

Find me a space combat game where I can maintain my momentum with my engines turned off.

Asteroids

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, with constant speed I am moving also in the direction of my surroundings, so it is like jumping on solid ground. Go take more lessons in physics before trying to argue with me about that.

I have taken 5 physics classes so I have a minor in Physics.

You do not move in the direction of your surroundings, you move based on the forces that interact with you. There is a horizontal corridor, yet you constantly have a downwards force applied to you known as Gravity. The corridor applies the normal force so you do not go toward the earth.

If a hole magically appeared under me, I would fall. I do not move in the direction of my surroundings. You always move down unless you apply another force to you.

If the elevator is traveling at 10 meters per second, and you are some super hero that can jump with a velocity of 50 meters per second, you will have a MASSIVE gap between you and the elevator when gravity overtakes your jumping force.

You do not move in the direction of your surroundings, you move based on the forces that interact with you. There is a horizontal corridor, yet you constantly have a downwards force applied to you known as Gravity. The corridor applies the normal force so you do not go toward the earth.

If a hole magically appeared under me, I would fall. I do not move in the direction of my surroundings. You always move down unless you apply another force to you.

If the elevator is traveling at 10 meters per second, and you are some super hero that can jump with a velocity of 50 meters per second, you will have a MASSIVE gap between you and the elevator when gravity overtakes your jumping force.

And yet you'd still jump exactly as high as if you were standing on solid ground.

Edit: The obvious conclusion here is that you're lying about your credentials, or you recently suffered serious head trauma.

Edited by PessimiStick

And yet you'd still jump exactly as high as if you were standing on solid ground.

Edit: The obvious conclusion here is that you're lying about your credentials, or you recently suffered serious head trauma.

Actually you wouldnt:

You are moving down 10 meters per second due to an elevator

Your jump is only 50 meters per second

On the elevator, you would jump up 40 meters per second.

On the ground, you would jump up 50 meters per second.

I think it is you that is clueless. If you are some super hero that can overcome the force applied when you ride an elevator, there will be a gap growing until gravity has you meeting the elevator again.

Actually you wouldnt:

You are moving down 10 meters per second due to an elevator

Your jump is only 50 meters per second

On the elevator, you would jump up 40 meters per second.

On the ground, you would jump up 50 meters per second.

I think it is you that is clueless. If you are some super hero that can overcome the force applied when you ride an elevator, there will be a gap growing until gravity has you meeting the elevator again.

To an outside observer, yes. To you, no.

From your own reference, in both cases you will jump with an impulse of 50 m/s.

Seriously, you should see a doctor, I think you might have a concussion.

To an outside observer, yes. To you, no.

From your own reference, in both cases you will jump with an impulse of 50 m/s.

Seriously, you should see a doctor, I think you might have a concussion.

And you overcome the outside force applied: Gravity.

We are talking about NET force here. Yes in the relative to the elevator, you would be at 50 m/s

The world simply does not stop every time you jump. The elevator is moving DOWN while you applied enough force to move UP. You applied enough to overcome the force of gravity AND the current downward velocity you have from the elevator.

Hmm if object A moves down and object B moves up, does the distance between the two increase?

If physics were realistic in this game, I certainly wouldn't ever be fighting some of those giant beasts.

I don't care how strong or tough you are. A Rancor would tear you into little pieces.

Not to mention that there would be approximately zero Jedi in the galaxy because they'd all die from jumping off the long, spiral ramps at the temple in Tython.

A rancor wouldn't be able to exist. Their bio-mechanics are all wrong, they'd be a pile of whimpering broken bones. :(

I was walking along, and came across another player, and walked right through them.

OMGZ0RZF1XS3ZZZ!!UNOUNO!!

You guys will complain about anything. I saw one the other day complaining about a fan site. We're not even complaining about the game anymore, we're taking it to other sites.

Crazy fun good times. :o

Well an obvious bug. Not being an exploiter, I ALWAYS walk around other people. Also, to promote a positive community experience for all (regardless of species) I say "excuse me".

But seriously, I have heard that there is an exploit involving damage incurred by elevators. Apparently, the system knows the source of damage, and repair costs are based on that source. In the case of elevators, once you exceed 100,000 credits in repair (for elevator related damages), your next repair actually adds credits to your account. The amount varies it seem. I have heard its anywheres from 1 mil to 2 mil.;)

So the problem is that we jump with too much force. Enough to counteract the downward motion of the elevator and causing us to travel upward long enough for the elevator to fall out from beneath us.

All they'd have to do is decrease the ability to fight downward momentum with a jump. In this way we'd "stick" to the elevator better when jumping while traveling downward.

So the problem is that we jump with too much force. Enough to counteract the downward motion of the elevator and causing us to travel upward long enough for the elevator to fall out from beneath us.

All they'd have to do is decrease the ability to fight downward momentum with a jump. In this way we'd "stick" to the elevator better when jumping while traveling downward.

Thank you. Finally somebody else understands Physics. I might have been saying it incorrectly, but the fact is we jump with enough force to overcome the force applied to us while using the elevator. Therefore, we are moving up while the elevator is moving down. Distance is going to increase until gravity overcomes our jump force.

A rancor wouldn't be able to exist. Their bio-mechanics are all wrong, they'd be a pile of whimpering broken bones. :(

Most giant creatures are physically impossible.

Dinosaurs reached large sizes for two reasons, efficient bird-like lungs and being cold blooded.

This is also why Whales can become so large, because the water cools them enough to survive being warm blooded.

A warm blooded dinosaur sized land animal would kill itself with it's own body heat, it's blood would literally boil.

And you overcome the outside force applied: Gravity.

We are talking about NET force here. Yes in the relative to the elevator, you would be at 50 m/s

The world simply does not stop every time you jump. The elevator is moving DOWN while you applied enough force to move UP. You applied enough to overcome the force of gravity AND the current downward velocity you have from the elevator.

Hmm if object A moves down and object B moves up, does the distance between the two increase?

Indeed it does. It also increases if object A stays still and object B moves up faster.

Seriously, this is very basic classical mechanics. You really should see a doctor.

I'll trump your 5 classes with a bachelors in physics, masters in computer science with concentration on mathematical modeling of continuous systems and currently researching for my PhD. AND he's absolutely correct. Jumping in an elevator that's not accelerating is exactly like jumping on solid ground. You need to go back to your introduction to classical mechanics and learn about intertial frames.

Thank you. Finally somebody else understands Physics. I might have been saying it incorrectly, but the fact is we jump with enough force to overcome the force applied to us while using the elevator. Therefore, we are moving up while the elevator is moving down. Distance is going to increase until gravity overcomes our jump force.

You realize that jumping, at all, requires you to overcome the downward force acting on you, right? That's what jumping is.

Indeed it does. It also increases if object A stays still and object B moves up faster.

Seriously, this is very basic classical mechanics. You really should see a doctor.

So when a kid jumps in an elevator, it stays still? I do not remember having bumpy elevator rides as a kid.....

In a real world scenario, you are still moving down, but relative to the elevator it is the same jump height as if you jumped in your house. But to an outside observer you are still moving down because you did not apply more force than what is applied during the elevator ride.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.