[Off-Topic] Where are the hockey fans and who's your favorite team?

Force_Me

I live in the south and love hockey. I will never, ever understand why hockey isn't more popular in the U.S.

I watch a lot of sports... mostly football and hockey, but if there was a really good match-up of hockey teams and football teams on TV at the same time, I would watch the hockey game. In fact, first thing I did this morning was look at the sports page to see if any hockey games were on Sunday [unfortunately not]. I really don't care about the Super Bowl this year.

Anyway, I don't have a "favorite" team, but I enjoy watching (in no particular order) Chicago, Detroit, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh.

Speaking of Gretzky...

Although I will admit that I started following hockey after Gretz came to L.A. (my home town) and L.A. went to the finals in 1993. I fell in love with hockey after the Rangers and Messier won the cup in 1994.

I never saw Gretz play in his prime, but for my money I would take Messier over Gretz any day.

Here's an interesting stat between them... who has more cups?

Yep, Messier has 2 more. Both won without Gretzky on his team. Gretz has 0 without Messier on his team. That speaks volumes to me.

Edited by Force_Me

Speaking of Gretzky...

Although I will admit that I started following hockey after Gretz came to L.A. (my home town) and L.A. went to the finals in 1993. I fell in love with hockey after the Rangers and Messier won the cup in 1994.

I never saw Gretz play in his prime, but for my money I would take Messier over Gretz any day.

Yep, Messier has 2 more. Both won without Gretzky on his team. Gretz has 0 without Messier on his team. That speaks volumes to me.

Personally...Lemieux > Gretz & Mess.

Buffalo Sabres! although this year they make me want to bash my face off the wall... So much potential so disappointing.

That's the trouble with paying players lots of money for a long time, they don't seem to play like what their "worth" is. All im hoping for this bust season is for them to get a high draft pick and just wash this year away.

/end rant.

Edited by AwesumPossum

To me, the thing about hockey that separates it from other sports is how exciting low-scoring games are.

For example, last Wed. night's game between Buf v NYR - 0-0 tie and then the shootout. Dang, that was a thriller. I remember another regular season game between WAS v PIT and thought I was watching a playoff game instead of a regular season game.

I don't get the same "thrill" from a low scoring game in football or baseball or soccer (ok, I don't watch soccer because ALL the games are low scoring and boring). Low scoring games in those sports make me fall asleep.

Just wanted to throw out some more hockey talk...

Edited by Force_Me

Buffalo Sabres! although this year they make me want to bash my face off the wall... So much potential so disappointing.

That's the trouble with paying players lots of money for a long time, they don't seem to play like what their "worth" is. All im hoping for this bust season is for them to get a high draft pick and just wash this year away.

/end rant.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of a player off the top of my head that seemed to have a better season after signing a big contract. I'm sure someone has, but for some reason, no one stands out.

Speaking of Gretzky...

Gretzky > Messier

Gretzky averaged 1.9 points per game, messier had 1.07

Gretzky had 2,856 points, messier had 1,855 (Regular Season)

Gretzky had 383 points in 208 games, messier had 325 in 236 games(Playoffs)

Gretzky had 894 goals, messier had 694

this can go on and on but i really don't wanna keep making the comparison , Gretzky has 61 NHL records and messier has.....

Both great players either way