HM BT as a Sin?

I attempted to tank HM BT the other night and failed miserably! On the first gold fight, i was spiked down before the healer even knew i needed to be healed. It was so fast, it felt instantaneous. We figured it was a fluke and moved on after the Sorc tanked those mobs. When we got to the first actual boss, the giant robot, once again, I was killed almost instantaneously. The complete failure of the Flash Point was not the healers fault and was not the DPS' fault, it must have been my lack of gear.... So here is where i have a problem:

My spec: Tank

I have ~15k hps, 6200 armor rating, 17% defense, 35% shield, 20% absorb

I am almost completely decked out in Champ dps pvp gear. I understand that i should be a bit squishy due to my lack of absorb and having dps pvp gear and not tank pve gear... but the time it took for me to die, it seems the extra 1k hps would go just as fast as the first 15k went and that my armor rating being very respectable for attempting the first hard mode flash point would make up for the lack of absorption. Any other sins having this problem?

All stats are base, without outside buffs.

Edited by JonGhoti

PVP gear for PVE is a bad idea even if their is only a minor hp difference. You tanking stats will be to low and you will get rocked every time. Most other people in the group can get by on PVP gear but a tank can not at all. Go to the ah and buy your self some tank gear or run some reg modes to get some. Ive seen to many tanks try in pvp gear just to fail. Edited by toastybilly

You weren't a tank, you were wearing dps gear. It's not just health you are missing, you also have zero defense outside what talents give you. I'm going to bet since you think that it's "just 1000 health" you also had a focus on instead of a sheild generator, so your shield chance is zero. So any preconceived notion you might have gotten about assassin tanks was completely wrong... you weren't a tank you were a dps with the wrong spec.

That said, I've tanked HMBT as a dps spec in dps gear. You just can't do the optional boss without a level of difficulty that makes it better to just skip it.

OP, head over to the class forum and read the two threads about Assassin tanking. Excellent info in there that will make your life a lot easier.

As a Tankassin myself, I can say it is very doable to tank BT (and pretty much everything else) on HM if you know what you're doing, and you gear properly.

I've tankedalmost every HM FP as a sin tank in mostly champ pvp gear several times. The key is that is TANK pvp gear (stats like def abs and sheild actually work properly in pve even though they are near worthless in pvp).

As far as rotation kinda of stuff, dark ward should always be up, wither and discharge used when up, and dont forget to have dark charge activated (from how fast you went down, im betting you had lighting charge up).

Hope that helps

From a healers perspective, that first fight is a pain in the butt and IS the most difficult part of the FP. For that reason alone it should be nerfed.

I understand that he was wearing the wrong gear, but we can all admit that the first gold fight in a FP shouldnt be the reason you wipe lol. Save it for the final boss or bonus boss. Especially when the final BT boss is so freaking easy to beat... doesnt make sense.

And for those who care about RP- Does it make sense that a random dude guarding a door is stronger than a Jedi protecting vital people? I think not.

From a healers perspective, that first fight is a pain in the butt and IS the most difficult part of the FP. For that reason alone it should be nerfed.

I understand that he was wearing the wrong gear, but we can all admit that the first gold fight in a FP shouldnt be the reason you wipe lol. Save it for the final boss or bonus boss. Especially when the final BT boss is so freaking easy to beat... doesnt make sense.

And for those who care about RP- Does it make sense that a random dude guarding a door is stronger than a Jedi protecting vital people? I think not.

I almost think the first fight is a check. If you can't beat that, then you have no business being in the instance.

I haven't done every FP in SWTOR, but I've found that a lot of first pulls are the hardest part of the instance to get through. I guess it's intended to both wake the group up and give folks an idea of whether their comp will make it through to the end.

as a healer i always make sure to bubble shield the group before we start the convo that triggers the fight, i also drop a hot on the tank.

then when the fight starts i cast my aoe heal and spam heal the tank.

unless the tank is wearing garbage gear, we make i through no problem.

as a healer i always make sure to bubble shield the group before we start the convo that triggers the fight, i also drop a hot on the tank.

Unless he doesn't attack, (bad tank), you get threat from the HoT and get one shotted!

You answered your own question. Don't tank in DPS gear, let alone PVP DPS gear. I have nearly double everything but your HP and armor(Sitting at 21k unbuffed though) in actual tank gear.

Also, your spec is kind of wonky and awful. You won't do any kind of aoe threat with that.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIMokrskbsZZf0cM.1

Spec I run and recommend.

Edited by ckoneful

Unless he doesn't attack, (bad tank), you get threat from the HoT and get one shotted!

You weren't a tank, you were wearing dps gear. It's not just health you are missing, you also have zero defense outside what talents give you. I'm going to bet since you think that it's "just 1000 health" you also had a focus on instead of a sheild generator, so your shield chance is zero. So any preconceived notion you might have gotten about assassin tanks was completely wrong... you weren't a tank you were a dps with the wrong spec.

That said, I've tanked HMBT as a dps spec in dps gear. You just can't do the optional boss without a level of difficulty that makes it better to just skip it.

Guess you didnt read the part where i listed my shield and absorption; then you proceed to comment about how you were a dps and tanked HMBT in dps gear... I really hate that 'holier than thou' mentality some people have.

The first pull in HM BT is definitely one of the roughest in all of the FP's. The first boss though is actually a pushover. The key is to stay away from the exploding droids. Even tanks with great stats can get hit for almost all of their HP if enough of those little droids explode near you. In respect to your gear, your defensive stats seem really low. I would suggest picking up some more PVE tank gear to help ease the problem as well. I currently main tank regular ops and my absorb is close to 40% and my shield chance is now over 50% but I am decked out in 3/5 Columni gear, with some offpieces also. My health is about 19k, but I think anything over 16k is enough for HM's especially BT. And if you arent wearing a shield in your offhand, then you cant shield regardless of what stats you get from your spec. Edited by Dukibritches

OP, head over to the class forum and read the two threads about Assassin tanking. Excellent info in there that will make your life a lot easier.

As a Tankassin myself, I can say it is very doable to tank BT (and pretty much everything else) on HM if you know what you're doing, and you gear properly.

Thanks for the heads up... I know it's a terrible idea to tank in dps gear. I was hoping that the armor rating of 136 would outweigh the missing absorption, at least for the first couple flashpoints so i can get Tionese tank pve gear... Whelp, back to the drawing boards with Ilum quests for mods and pvp duplicates becoming tank gear. Thanks to those with genuine replies. ~Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.