I LOVE everything in this game....except crafting! What do you think?

JehovasWetness

Okay I'm an mmo vet and have often sunk hours upon hours into different crafting professions and loved every minute of it. It seems to me though that crafting in this game is a HUGE money sink where there is very little reward, if any, to be had. Also it's boring. Am I going crazy or is this how everyone else feels to? Just thought I'd see what other peoples experience has been with crafting. Good...bad...or anything in between?

Crafting in this game isn't that great only 3 of the professions are worth taking Biochem, Cybertech and Artifice, i like the system it just doesn't seem very worth while when pretty much everything you can craft can be gotten easily through questing or with planet commendations.

Okay I just spent some time actually reading the forums and apparently I'm not alone! Good to know I'm not crazy. Not so good to know most people aren't enjoying a usually great part of any MMO. I know you're ALL about story Bioware, and I do love the story, but "come on man" with the crafting. It's just sad. Edited by JehovasWetness

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder but IMO crafting in any mmo is usually the weakest link. I haven't found a crafting system since UO that came close to the fun and reward of actually going out to adventure and quest for comparable items.

I will say this: at least TOR lets you pick someone/somebot/something to most of the leg work. That's kinda cool. But still, as in most mmos, the crafting seems more about gearing up your alts than anything else.

My experience is that it becomes too expensive. I took Biochem, and Diplomacy for crew missions to get needed medical supplies. It's the only way I can get what I need to proceed, but I can't get to level two supplies yet bcause I have to do the level ones over and over, spending credits I don't want to spend. I gave up and started buying needed stims and medpacs. It's actually cheaper in the long run.

Part of the reason the crafting system sucks is because the auction house sucks. They go hand-in-hand. With some tweaks, they can fix it, and hopefully they do.

They can't.

AH have nothing to do witch it.

Craft sucks becouse it's single player crafting model - you want the best craftable stuff you need to craft it yourself. Thats why best craftable items are bind of pickup and you can;t sell them. Thats why best stimms/granades need you to actualy have biochem/cybertech.

And thats why it's a money sink.

I prefer this game's crafting to the crafting for every other MMO I've played.

I'm a relatively new MMO gamer, though. My first MMO was City of Heroes, second was Eq2, followed by WoW.

None of the games had interesting crafting. WoW's was just a complete grind.

With this game's crafting, I don't have to do that grinding, myself. I send my companions out to do it and just go do my own thing. I like that more than having to go out and farm crap for countless hours.

I actually quite like the crafting system in TOR, it's certainly not perfect but I think there's a fair bit to recommend it.

Pros:

• Its a bit like a fruit machine, you put your creds in and hope to hit jackpot
  • Reverse engineering gives you some tangible advantages over existing kit
  • You can get your companions to disappear off while you do more involved activities
  • You don't feel that companions that aren't in use are just dead weight

Cons:

• Currently the kit doesn't stack well to end game stuff. (Though removable mods in the end game stuff should address this)
  • Reverse engineering and finding the same pattern that you've already discovered is hugely annoying
  • Armstech is pretty much broken
  • Some professions such as artifice are limited to the schematics you can learn from the trainers and very little else (although BW have stated they plan on changing this down the line)

I prefer this game's crafting to the crafting for every other MMO I've played.

I'm a relatively new MMO gamer, though. My first MMO was City of Heroes, second was Eq2, followed by WoW.

None of the games had interesting crafting. WoW's was just a complete grind.

With this game's crafting, I don't have to do that grinding, myself. I send my companions out to do it and just go do my own thing. I like that more than having to go out and farm crap for countless hours.

You prefer this over EQ2?

You prefer this over EQ2?

I do prefer swtor's. Staring at 4 crafting bars and clicking some "arts" every now and then is mindlessly boring and not an experience I want to try. I havd 8 chars in eq2, none does crafting and never will. It's that boring.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.