The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Suggestion: switch storm and harpoon

Malvantyr

I know we all love harpoon, but with the current set up, all builds would benefit from storm.

There will be pve fights where a tank needs to run away and get back to the boss quickly, this still lets that tank keep his charge.

For the other specs, now you all become awesome at hut ball carrying. Yes, you lose your fire insta gib, but Pyro blows people up anyway. Easier stock striking benefits all.

Also, storm is not dependant on resolve. That's very important.

Furthermore, judging by the shadows change, I foresee the parakeet spec going away, along with other hybrids. You'll want your charge then.

Storm gives more control than harpoon... Stuns without talent, does damage, works through resolve, and is universally useful for pvp and pve since all vanguards will need to enter melee range eventually.

Harpoon has severe limitations in pve non solo content.

Tbh the only class better than van at huttball imo is knight/warrior due to leap...

Storm way more useful to all vanguards than harpoon.

I'm definitely feeling it should be a baseline ability. While I'd like to see the utility remain in place, I think a slightly higher CD(20s or 25s) and then adding to the current movement speed boost after Storm talent, a lowered cooldown of 5s per point(so 10 or 15s CD with both points depending on the new higher CD) would help eliminate the 'overpowered' factor a bit. That said, if the utility had to go, a shorter root - maybe 1s tops, would help neutralize any lag/ping related issues and keep us in melee range after the Storm. Tank spec would also deserve a new cool 21 pt talent as well - not sure what to do there. Maybe a knockback immunity or something considering every mob in the game likes to knockback repeatedly.

Though honestly, I'm doing alright without Storm outside of Huttball. It's a lot harder to take down Sorcs/Sages without the extra gap closer, particularly if they open on you from afar with Force Lightning and they actually try to kite a little/speed away to heal. Huttball without it is either god awful or alright, depending on how many Sorcs/Sages and Mercs/Commandos are abusing the different levels. Harpoon only goes so far, particularly when you try to use it to pull ball carriers back or pull enemies off your ball carrier. If Harpoon was only a 15 or 20s CD, things might not be so bad though.

TLDR - Make Storm baseline with a slightly longer CD(25s-ish) and then reduce that back down to 10-15s in tank tree w/ talents. Replace current Storm talent with something cool like Knockback immunity or a mitigation/threat management talent.

TLDR - Make Storm baseline with a slightly longer CD(25s-ish) and then reduce that back down to 10-15s in tank tree w/ talents. Replace current Storm talent with something cool like Knockback immunity or a mitigation/threat management talent.

A defensive cooldown, maybe? We are lacking in that department.

Storm should be baseline, but will only act as a gap closer without any other special bells and whistles. The talent in Shield Spec would give it the ability to interrupt and root, like it does now.

This.

Keep gands off my Harpoon. You might want to drop Blitz entirely, and use Storm for it.

A defensive cooldown, maybe? We are lacking in that department.

Yeah, another damage reduction CD or even a Last Stand-esque temporary HP boost would be good. Hell, even a long duration CC akin to Whirlwind/Concussion Missile would be nice. If they're trying to give tank vanguards more PvP utility, something fun like a "your guarded target temporarily takes x% less damage/is healed for x%/does x% more healing and damage" or even an AoE snare similar to what Juggernauts get, but with an actual short CD(8s duration, 15s CD? idk) instead of being spammable.

Really though, baseline Storm would be a huge quality of life improvement for Vanguards even without all the extra bells and whistles... The fact that so many of these 21+/x/x builds are popping up, shows just how needed Storm really is - particularly when maps like Huttball that are so heavily ranged favored exist.

We can pump out serious damage in melee range, but when half the players in game seem to be sorcs/sages, and we have no real long duration snares that keep ranged in melee, its pretty hard to kill any decent ranged players(save maybe Mercs/Commandos). And ranged seems to have a huge advantage in the snare/root department as snipers/gunslingers have an -30% snare with an 18s duration and 18s CD and a 2s minimum, 5s max root on a 15s cooldown(12s CD if talented)... Sorcs/Sages get a -50% snare for 6s every 12s, and a 2s root every 9s.

That said, if they removed Force Speed from Sorcs/Sages, my life would be a whole lot less painful, and I wouldn't have Sorcs/Sages running away to heal up and come back later everytime my Harpoon is already on CD.

TLDR - I hate Force Speed, Snares, etc... Give baseline Storm please Bioware :(

Don't touch meh adrenaline rush vanguards don't have enough baseline defenses as it is.

Anyways, it'd piss off assault specced vanguards for sure, and those clutch "harpoon the ball carrier into fire when he's at the finish line almost" wouldn't be around anymore so I dunno :x

Switch Storm and Adrenaline Rush. Vóila.

And don't you dare touch my harpoon (unless it touches you first).

Rofl no. What's with all these bad Vanguards who think Adrenaline Rush is bad. Not to mention its a Trooper skill, not a Vanguard-specific skill.

Terrible idea. We're not all tanks. We don't all want to just charge into battle.

Having Harpoon allows us a bit of control and let's us pick our fights.

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea. I can't stress this enough.

He's looking at it from both PvP and PvE. At PvE, harpoon gens high threat. Not a tank, you say? Oh yar.

Storm should definitely be baseline. I can foresee them wanting to place Harpoon in Shield talent, though, that'd make sense. Of course, they could also do something to Storm that requires it to be talented, like has been mentioned it'd reduce cooldown among other things. Maybe you only get the interrupt effect when it's shield spec talented, too. All of that would work great.

I want to play my Vanguard as a tank, so naturally I'm playing under Shield, but damnit if after getting Storm did I feel like I'd hate to be a DPS Vanguard.