Disappointed with my crew skills now that I am level 50

Godzillamax

My main character is a level 50 Sith Warrior/juggernaut (tank). When I first hit level 10 and had the chance to take crew skills I though Artifice would be a good fit since I could make lightsaber hilts and color crystals. The two companion crew skills for this were Treasure Hunting and Archaeology. As I leveled to 50 I was able to use the Enhancements, saber hilts, and color crystals to keep my moddable gear at my level.

But now that I am level 50 and pretty much decked out in Columi/Tionese hard mode epics I'm not sure if I should keep my chosen crew skills. I cannot craft anything with Artifice that is equal to or better than the drops from the 4-man hard modes. Even the epic relics I can craft are ho-hum. And they are BOP so its not like I can craft and sell them. I guess I could keep artifice and go after some of the special color crystals, like magenta. But that is a pretty narrow reason to keep a crew skill.

Archaeology is totally useless to me since I'm not using my Artificing anymore. If I'm not crafting anything with Artifice, then Archaeology is pointless. And Treasure Hunting is useless other than for the gems (or for companion gifts). But even then, the gems are useless if I'm not crafting things with Artifice. All in all at level 50 I feel like my three crew skills (Artifice, Treasure Hunting, and Archaeology) and totally pointless and useless.

My Bounty Hunter/Merc alt (currently level 40) has cybertech, slicing, and scavenging. I predict that at 50 the cybertech will probably be somewhat useless as well just like artifice, and as such will render scavenging kinda useless also. But slicing has proven to be invaluable for making a ton of credits, gearing out my ship, and obtaining special crew missions.

Maybe I need to drop something like Archaeology and pick up Investigation so I can get some high-end schematics for my Artifice. I check the GTM all the time, but there are rarely any schematics for Artifice (and if there are they tend to be low(er) level ones).

Anyone able to shed some light on what to do with these crew skills I have at 50? The more I play the more I feel like the only real valuable trade skills once you hit level 50 are slicing, biochem, and maybe investigation.

Edited by Godzillamax

Maybe you could craft the things you yourself used as you levelled up and then sell them on the GTN for $$ to spend elsewhere?

I could, except I have no need of money. There really isn't anything to buy in ToR once you are a level 50, other than gear to twink an alt (and gear is easy to come by as you level an alt). Between my level 50 and my level 40 alt, I've got around a million credits (most due to slicing on my alt) with nothing to spend it on.

Then reroll the latest flavor of the month. I believe it's biochem, but I could be mistaken.

Personally I'd stick with artifice, color crystals sell extremely well as do all item modifications, but what do I know?

Selling things to make money is only of benefit if there are things to buy yourself with said money you earn. There is really nothing to spend money on once your level 50 that benefits your level 50 character.

As one of the two MT for my guild, who is looking to start doing Ops soon, some of the others have been hinting that I should pick up Biochem. I'm just hesitant to do so after the leveling Artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting all to 400. Keep thinking maybe Bioware will drop us a bone in a coming patch and give us some decent schematics.

Edited by Godzillamax

The mythical quest for End Game continues.

You completed the available lvl Progression, Crafting Progression and even Gear Progression.

Roll a new character and experience some new story telling adventures. :)

Already did. My BH/Merc just dinged level 40. And I've yet to experience all end-game content on my main, still have yet to set foot in an Operation. Just pointing out that 400/400 Artifice seems lackluster. Sure you can make an epic relic which is about on par with what you can pull from one of the easier hard modes. But the level 50 lightsabers are orange moddable gear, and not as good as the epic sabers you can get from a hardmode/Columi/Tionese commendations.

I discovered the same as you with the crew skills, Artifice is probably the most useless crafting crew skill there is. We can't even craft nice items for our self like armormechs, and synthweavers. And the lightsabers you can craft are hilariously bad and uses way to many materials on craft.

So I crafted myself the rakata relics(only usefulness you can get from Artifice) and rolled over to biochem/bioanalysis/diplomacy.

In the beginning I was thinking if I made the right choice, but now I'm 400 biochem and gotta say it's waaay better than Artifice. The thing is even you can make some credits from Artifice on GTN, so can you with Biochem. Biochem is the most rewarding crafting skill for both credit earning by selling crafts and usefulness for yourself.

Reuseable stims, medpacks and adrenals are so strong it's like having new cd's.

Even after the next nerf biochem is getting it will still be the best crafting crew skill.

• 1 month later...

You really have to figure out what your going to be doing with this character, to make a good decision about crew skills.

If your going to be doing lots of OPS and HM flashpoints, then biochem is the only reasonable choice. You will get tons of gear in OPS and HM flashpoints, and biochem can save you a TON of credits due to reusable stims and healthpacks.

Technically speaking, stuff you make in crew skills can potentially be better than stuff you get in HM flashpoints and OPS, unfortunately, in order to get those things you have to deal with the INSANELY HORRIBLE AWFUL PITIFUL EXCUSE for a schematic system called the reverse engineer system.

Supposedly reverse engineering is getting a boost. Yeah right. Initial feedback suggests its just as bad as it ever was. You'd think a next gen MMO could do something a little better than RAND(X) to see if you get a new schematic or not. Guess they need to send their co-op programmer to another semester of college.

Now on the other hand, if you don't plan on doing a lot of OPS or HM flashpoints, then synthweaving or armortech or something might be pretty good for gearing you and your companions up, and making creds on the GTN.

- P

Edited by pahbi

Doesnt crit crafting an orange lightsabre give it an augment slot? That would go for a heafty penny indeed.

And if if they dont crit craft they will in 1.2

With epic hilts being extractable, artifice is gonna be one of the biggest cashcows around.

I lvled artifice up to 400 then dropped it for biochem once I hit endgame, cos it was really nerfing yourself if you didnt. Now I'll probably switch back.