8/31/2 Build

TecFireheart

Last night, I swapped from Gunnery to Combat Medic for soloing purposes. After an hour or so of playing, I felt like the difference in ease was night and day. Life had just gotten so much easier. Part of this seemed to be coming from Supercharge Cells effects on things like Full Auto and Charged Bolts, and the fact that the limiting factor on the ability is having 30 charges.

As a result, I'm curious if anyone has tested, or if anyone knows, how effective a DPS build looking like http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McoMZMIkbRrzRkfzZb.1 would be? The thought behind it is to use Combat Support Cell instead of the Armor Pen Cell, which at 30 stacks gives 3% increase in damage. When you use SCC, you then have super cheap Full Auto and Charged Bolts, which is great for bursting, especially if you crit and get the alacrity proc.

Thoughts, anyone?

You do realize that this is still a gunnery build, right? Besides which, there are reasons in the gunnery tree to bother using abilities like charged bolt instead of grav round. According to the stickied Trooper guide, there is a debate about gear and use of CB versus GR, but that seems to be mostly in reference to a gear/scaling debate.

Edit: Besides which, "too many abilities in your rotation" sounds an awful lot like a complaint about how to potentially make your character more efficient/effective at doing their job. I'm not saying this spec will necessarily do that, but that's why I'm looking for feedback.

Edited by TecFireheart

The question is which does more damage and/or is more ammo efficient?

Grav round with armor pierce cell+cell charger(returns 1 ammo on crits)

or

Charged bolts with combat support cell+supercharged(free charged bolts for 10 seconds)

I'm pretty sure your rotation would be:

Grav roundx3->Demo Round->High Impact Bolt->Full auto on procs->Grav round to keep armor pen debuff up->Charged Bolts as filler(and spam CB when supercharge up)->Hammer Shot to keep ammo in max range

It would take a while to charge up to 30 in this spec and I have a feeling that's probably why using grav round+cell charger is better. Iirc CB hits harder than Grav Round though so it's possible that difference+supercharge makes up for it.

I'll run some testing on a champion and post back here in a few.

Edited by Jooji