Heat Issues Tanking - Help Pls

Magehammer

Hello,

I rolled a PT to see if I would like the Class. It's a very fun class to play, however, at lvl 27 with all my points in the Shield T tree....I am still having issue with HEAT when Tanking Flashpoints and sometimes even killing mobs. I am sure it's just my rotation, or the fact that I can press buttons fast etc...but either way, it drives me nuts that when I am trying to grab aggro on 4x+ mobs, my heat is already in the 70+ area...thus limiting my abilities.

Can anyone provide me proper rotations for both Muliti / Single Target...while being able to balance heat. It also seems that when I am Questing as well... trying to kill 4x mobs I run into heat issues...so not sure how to fix this? Of course...if I run FP's with NUBS who don't attack the same target, then I am also finding me out of options cuz of my heat issues as well.

I love the Class...but hate the HEAT micro managing

thx

PS>>> I will be honest.. I play a Sorc and I can tell u that whether healing or dpsing, our force does not go down nearly as fast as the PT's heat builds up...it's really a bit frustrating.

Post the rotations for single, and multiple pulls. that you are currently using.

Are you mixing rapid shots in between attacks? Did you take Shield Vents in your talent tree?

Are you blowing all of your attacks asap? Flame Thrower is not effective an heat mngment, and I generally try to avoid using it if possible. Or use it at the beginning, then rapid shot after.

You will need to use rapid shots a lot in between skills until you get the vent heat ability.

After you reach level 40 and can pick this up, you'll just want to prioritize Rocket Punch/Rail Shot and use the other abilities as you can spare the heat. Also just use flame burst to keep the debuff on the bosses, not as a primary damage ability.

Just remember it's your job to hold aggro, not be top DPS. You don't need to to be spamming stuff.

I will generally use Rocket Punch/Rail Shot on CD.

Flame Sweep/Burst I will generally rotate with Rapid Shots or something like:

FS FS RS FS RS FS FS RS. When my heat regen/degen? hits 3 I try and ise rapid shots to get it back down to 4.

Some fights will get a little more costly on the heat, and for those I use the CD when I am about 75%?

I'd also mention that it's not essential that you hold aggro on everything. You need to collect the big hitters, but DPSers can take a few hits from Strong and under without dying.

If your DPSers are all hitting different targets, that's a communication issue. I prefer pull kill order to go from weak up. The DPS will be able to quickly take care of weak and standard enemies while I grab Elites first, then grab strongs, focusing on whatever the DPS are currently hitting, or will be hitting first.

Flame Sweep is too expensive to spam. Hit it once when you've got some mobs gathered and that's it (but don't go over 40). Generally overheating as a tank is caused by trying to do too much at the start of the pull.

I honestly had issues at the lower levels until I got Heat Blast. It also gets better as your shield chance goes up, as Shield Vents will proc more consistently. Fortunately, with good use of CC, and a clear priority, anything can be handled at the lower levels.

as a shield tech, dump flame burst and missle blast. FB you can get carried away with because it's instant and MB is 25 heat and not worth it IMO

mobs are usually in clusters of 2, 3 and usually 4 but sometimes that 4th is farther away. you have grapple but no jet charge jet so try to run up to the 2 or 3 cluster farthest from the far guy, move back, grapple the far guy, then flame thrower all 3 or 4 of them

use rocket punch, railshot, and unload whenever you can but try to weave in radpid shots between

...and use explosive dart on weak mobs as it's a good cheap cc

of course use death from above when you can and CC isnt needed

Edited by Baracca

Here's my current build as of lvl 27

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGbzoo.1

Again... I appreciate all the comments...more than likely, it's just the NUBS that i random Flashpoint with that cause me to go nuts trying to keep aggro on mobs. Overall...I was just looking for some form of perhaps a Proper rotation on Single target as well as Multi-targets.

I think i have been leading with Dart, then Rocketpunching, then some sort of flame...although I Notices that if I DART, Rocket, then Rail (if it's up), that causes me to be around 50+ heat...which just seems high... so ...who knows...I am not giving up...just was looking for some info.

Thanks again to everyone who replied..and I will keep reading on if more peeps want to add their Power Tech's 2 cents to the mix.

thx

My tank is level 30. Like a few others mentioned on here already: when I am running heroics or flashpoints I never have heat issues. I only use the taunts, damage debuffs and oil slick. Rapid shot is the only thing I use other than that normally. None of our skills are going to out aggro a DPS user so just save the heat for when you get in trouble.

i would dump the 2 points in rail loaders and pick up rebraced armor

here's the overall opinion on the best shield tech end spec for pve tanking

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

PS, if you heat gets over 50 you either need to pop your vent heat or start spamming rapid shots. i usually wait til 75 to pop the cooldown however if i really need it

Edited by Baracca

It gets better. I had some issues with PT around 30, got fed up and leveled a sorc to 50 hah. Then pretty much immediately went back to the PT.

Just have your dps always kill weakest mobs first, everyone should have an ability that stuns or controls weak mobs. While they do that you have time to get the strongs and elites stuck on you. Makes everything so much easier when you only worry about half the mobs.

Here's my current build as of lvl 27

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGbzoo.1

Again... I appreciate all the comments...more than likely, it's just the NUBS that i random Flashpoint with that cause me to go nuts trying to keep aggro on mobs. Overall...I was just looking for some form of perhaps a Proper rotation on Single target as well as Multi-targets.

I think i have been leading with Dart, then Rocketpunching, then some sort of flame...although I Notices that if I DART, Rocket, then Rail (if it's up), that causes me to be around 50+ heat...which just seems high... so ...who knows...I am not giving up...just was looking for some info.

Thanks again to everyone who replied..and I will keep reading on if more peeps want to add their Power Tech's 2 cents to the mix.

thx

My basic priority rotation is:

Jet Charge (you get at 30)

Rocket Punch

Rail Shot

Explosive Dart

Heat Blast (you get at 40)

Rapid Shot

... After this just keep using Rapid Shot until one of the above come off cooldown and use it again.

If you are having threat issues don't forget about your taunts, the First you should already have (Neural Dart i think) Then theres Grapple at level 22 which is just a godsend!! Use this ALL THE TIME to gather mobs and pull them off other people. I acts as a 3 second taunt also! Sonic Missile is your AoE taunt which can come in really handy if you get some adds and can't get away from the pack thats on you (you get this ability at level 30)

Most people will say to open up with Death from Above but I have found it more useful to save it for mid combat, specially in FPs when groups of 3-5 mobs can come out of hidden doors/caves/the ground at any moment mid fight.

Bottom line is:

• Save Death From Above for mid-combat
  • Use your taunts more often, Neural Dart is on a fairly short cooldown
  • Use Grapple to gather up mobs for your AoE's or to pull mobs off from others
  • Weave in Rapid Shots as often as you can to manage heat