The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[PvP] Low Level PvP Issues

JackSmoke

Greetings,

I'm currently an assault Spec'd Vanguard and because I already have 5 50's I thought: Let's go for a 6th one.

So my Vanguard is currently Level 24 and I "like" it in PvE and PvP but frankly, what can you do in PvP against all these extreme stuns oneshot wonders.

As soon as I approach a guy (not with the hook), I fire off my inc round, HiB, Stockstrike and damage them for about 1/3 their health.

When I throw my Cryo they usualy get out instantly, re-stun me and instakill me within 4 seconds. Heck, even Level 11 guys do that often. I really can't seem to enjoy PvP as a Vanguard as we seem so extremely squishy.

Maybe it's just Assault using LOTS of Ammo for almost no damage for my Level but I'm really frustrated.

Any hints would be very much apprechiated.

Maybe it's just Assault using LOTS of Ammo for almost no damage for my Level but I'm really frustrated.

This. I had A LOT more success at level 24 as Tactics because resource management was a ton easier. IMO Assault does not get good enough to spec until level 32 and you can spec into Rain of Fire, since you will be using Hammer Shot a ton.

Try this spec out until you can hit level 32: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRMZMsrboZb.1

P.S. Use Ion Cell as Tactics in PvP for the added survivability.

Edited by Kryptorchid

Don't spam IR and you shouldn't have ammo issues, it's better to hammer shot while approaching an enemy and proc your Plasma Cell than it is to burn your ammo using IR and then be forced to Hammer Shot them at close range. Edited by shucksy

I'm having the opposite experience on my 30 Assault Vanguard. Sure, the stunners are still there but I can deal enough damage to make them worry or try to run away. Thank the Force for Harpoon when they do try.

I start with Incendiary Round followed by HiB as I close, firing off Hammer Shots as I do. Then I go for Ion Pulse and hope HiB resets. Then Stockstrike, which usually refreshes HiB. Refresh and repeat.

Trying to load up on DoTs and maybe a Sticky while you're closing in is my only recourse against good stunners. It wears them down while I stand there like an idiot getting shanked.

I don't think Assault has the tools to handle those guys. Maybe shield spec?

Hmm I am a lvl 28 Vanguard Shield Spec and I use Ion Cell only and guard as much as possible. I usually end with over 100K damage and 80-90k protection. I tend to go with Sticky Grenade, Impact bolt, Stock Strike, Cryo Grenade, Pulse Cannon, Stockstrike, and then repeat!

I will throw in full-Auto every so often as well if everything else in on cooldown since you can't move while it is in use.

Edited by LukeSaberRattler

Bla.bla.bla.bla. 1million dps..bla..bla.bla..1 million defense..bla..bla..ioncell..bla..shield..bla..

Sure u can be a guardbot, but u wont kill much.

Go assault and be like the big boys ( unless u have a healer buddy, that needs a guard that is )

First of all, thank you all for answering and staying polite.

I've read the comments and I'll try some of these things.

Last round (Voidstar) I managed to go for 270k damage (Level 24!) just spamming Hammershot and of course if I happen to get close, my skills.

I left IR out because the Ammo cost is just way to high, yet it appears that I'm still get ammo problems every now and then when I have to go 1vs1 against anyone.

Didn't have the problem on Tactics, yet I deal a lot less damage with it

Probably because of the +1Ammo every 6 seconds.

EDIT:

I usualy don't like to use guard. Our server (Hydian Way) has almost no healers, sadly.

Edited by JackSmoke

http://i.imgur.com/yX6BI.jpg

^ This was my vanguard when i was 20ish, now i am 34 i pull about 300k dmg every game, around 15 - 20 killing blows, 6 - 7 solo kills every game, i've never had any problems going 1v1 vs anyone even higher level targets hell i've even beaten level 49 Ops and Sorcs 1v1.

You must be doing something wrong :3

this is my spec atm: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801Z0cZfhMbdG0M.1

Edited by tkshinoda