The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

About POWERTECH TANKING!

ThomasJensen

I want ppl to read this because Powertech Bounty hunter needs some skills og something.

For the first bounty hunter need a taunt more .. some fights bh is ranged and the special attacks is not in ranged but in melee ranged, buff the Powertech in tanking treath in pve .

sometimes in boss fights its hard to hold det aggro.. even if i used all my abilities i still sometimes lost the aggro . cant be true a tank will loose aggro the game will fall apart if there is no tanks . so fix it please.

It might help if you speak english.

Also, there's nothing wrong with powertech tanking. I main tanked all the way through Eternity Vault on tuesday and never once had issues holding aggro (except, of course, on targets that were designed to not use a standard threat system).

Edited by Tenacity

I want ppl to read this because Powertech Bounty hunter needs some skills og something.

For the first bounty hunter need a taunt more .. some fights bh is ranged and the special attacks is not in ranged but in melee ranged, buff the Powertech in tanking treath in pve .

sometimes in boss fights its hard to hold det aggro.. even if i used all my abilities i still sometimes lost the aggro . cant be true a tank will loose aggro the game will fall apart if there is no tanks . so fix it please.

Yeah, because my best flamethrower stuff is all at range. What do Jet Charge and Grapple do? Oh right, put me right up in punching distance.

PT tanking is fine. Your problem may be more focused around a DPS issue. Too many players came here from WoW where tanking is SUPER easy with all the threat boosts they've made for tanks. DPS just picks a target and starts spanking while the tank facerolls the mobs. Here, the DPS need to work together more and focus on the weakest targets first. When the DPS spreads out their damage to different targets, it will be a little more difficult to hold the aggro based on the system SWTOR uses for threat.

If one of your DPS pulls aggro from a mob when you're still holding 4 or 5 mobs, don't be too afraid to let that DPS take the one for a little until you're sure you have control of the situation to grapple the mob back in. You healer should be able to heal you and your DPS.

BTW, PT tanking is not a ranged tank. There may be times where you will do some ranged tanking, but we're melee tanks. Bioware refuted the idea the BHs were designed to be ranged tanks. Our most powerful move and primary attack is Rocket Punch for a reason.

I have a JK guardian (50) and a 40ish powertech - I can tell you that the powertech is WAY easier as far as holding aggro. Especially on packs of mobs. So much more AE... And just as tough, btw. Actually he feels tougher, but I'll hold judgement til I do some hardmodes.

I Tank on my Powertech (Shield Tech) build just as I would if it was a melee class. In melee range.

It works very well so far. Of course my dps kinda suck but it ain't my job, I have two sniper friends to do that. I just charge or pull the mobs to me, do some aoe and bring back those i lose (for the very few times it happens) with my darts.

I am only lvl 34 but so far so good.

Edited by henhouse

BTW, PT tanking is not a ranged tank. There may be times where you will do some ranged tanking, but we're melee tanks. Bioware refuted the idea the BHs were designed to be ranged tanks. Our most powerful move and primary attack is Rocket Punch for a reason.
Because it looks awesome? :p

I still find Jet Charge->Rocket Punch to be waaay too much fun. :D

Oh no! The poor powertech tanks!

They're already easily the best in the game. So this is about as L2P as it gets.

The OP should never try tanking as a juggernaut. Then he'll see what 'threat' problems on multiple targets are really like.

Edited by clearsighted

i think what a lot of people might not realize is this guy probably leveled a PT to 10 went to black talon and couldn't hold aggro. he mentioned he needed a taunt which isn't learned till lvl 16.

also it could be a huge troll cuz i haven't seen him respond back to any comments. although i skimmed thru the page so i might have missed him.

Fix it yourself by getting more experience at PT-Tanking!

Can't do it? Don't got it!