SWTOR on Linux

Raji

Anyone have any success getting SWTOR to run in VMWare on a Linux box?

Why would you do that instead of wine? I didn't attempt to with beta but I will be working on it with retail. Virtualization is inherently slower than API Wrapping, and assuming it works okay in wine that would be your 2nd best bet. (Your best bet is a copy of Wintendo for gaming)

Why would you do that instead of wine? I didn't attempt to with beta but I will be working on it with retail. Virtualization is inherently slower than API Wrapping, and assuming it works okay in wine that would be your 2nd best bet. (Your best bet is a copy of Wintendo for gaming)

Mostly because I had VMWare installed already with a copy of Vista where I didn't have wine setup yet. The patcher was able to download and install the game, after logging in it crashes with Error code 7 Incompatible Operating System. I'll start installing/tinkering with wine, was just wondering if anyone had already done it.

Mostly because I had VMWare installed already with a copy of Vista where I didn't have wine setup yet. The patcher was able to download and install the game, after logging in it crashes with Error code 7 Incompatible Operating System. I'll start installing/tinkering with wine, was just wondering if anyone had already done it.

I'd have to say it's because VMWare is horrid with 3d acceleration on the Linux platform (At least from what I hear, I don't use VMs for gaming, I use them to isolate servers and services...), and since Wine is basically a tool to game with on linux now (thanks cedega/winex for being so crappy that upstream started to focus on gaming back in 2004!). Since you have a legit copy of windows (I assume) I'm going to say your best bet would be to install it and dual boot. I know it can be cumbersome but it actually helps me a lot in separating work time from game time on my rig.

My experience of gaming in Linux are very negative I must say. Though I only tried with one game, HoN.

Does Linux have DirectX and other nessesary drivers? I dont know. I did not spend eany extra time to find out. But with HoN, I had a very smoth gameplay in Win7 but in Ubuntu on the same computer, it felt like the computer suddenly was 8 years older. Totally unplayable.

My experience of gaming in Linux are very negative I must say. Though I only tried with one game, HoN.

Does Linux have DirectX and other nessesary drivers? I dont know. I did not spend eany extra time to find out. But with HoN, I had a very smoth gameplay in Win7 but in Ubuntu on the same computer, it felt like the computer suddenly was 8 years older. Totally unplayable.

One data point is not a very good basis for "experience." I run (work and home) in Linux full-time, and I have gamed in it for probably 8 years. These days there's not much that wine can't handle - usually without any performance drop whatsoever. The limiting factors are (a) it's kind of mired in DirectX9, and (b) there's limited studio/developer support so problems running the game have to be sorted out on the end-user side, which takes a few weeks (or sometimes months).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.