Two Simple Truths about SWTOR's Success

iheartnyc

1.7 million users at $60 a pop is $102,000,000 - in less than 2 months on the shelf.....

If they don't sell another copy this year and %50 quit subing before the end of the year.

That's still as much as $140,000,000 in sub fees during 2012 <--- more than the game

That's as much as $240 million before expensions.

This game is already a wild success story- they'll be making money off it before the end of the spring. Most business models don't make a dime during the first 3 years. And they managed to do it with a game that wasn't even ready to go live.

Not a fanboi- but I can do the math.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomb of something something. PVP server, it's usually very heavy and FULL during peak time and week ends, but I saw other 3-4 FULL servers in Europe, check the Server Status page at peak time

I am not saying that some servers are full and have lots of players.

I am saying with 1.7 million players and about 200 servers that means on an average 8500 per server.

Would someone like to give a number for a full server? To me it would have to be at least 10000 players. Servers should allow everyone to play at the same time if they would like, wouldnt they? Do the people on full servers see that many people on?

I couldn't care less how many people sub or don't when it is vastly more important to me how the game is handled/managed and so far I'm not impressed. If the company behind the product is doing a bad job or doesn't know what they are doing all the subs in the world won't save it as they'll figure out they have been left to rot handing over their money for poor quality service.

Poor customer service, numerous bugs/issues (many if not all of which were present in beta), and my own belief that content updates are being held back all assuming they aren't busy making them as we type.

My expectations that SWTOR would be 'worth' a monthly sub with large content expansions at no cost above our monthly sub is dying of consumption. Instead I think they are sitting on various things so they have a big package of 'content' to deliver whenever they deem it so at the 6month mark or 1 year mark. If I'm wrong they I think the situation is even worse as they'll introduce new bugs and issues as they race to make stuff and put it in an expansion. Seeing as how they aren't able to address bugs/issues from 6+ months ago.

This speaks to incompetence, insufficient manpower, poor decision making, or a lack of comprehension of reality.

I expected they'd be releasing stuff post launch as they had oh so many things they would add post launch. Well it is a month post launch and not only did they not fix many of the beta issues they haven't added any of those other things either.

Development of this game seems exceptionally slow and to top it off I feel it is being managed poorly, customer support, decisions on content release/development/bug hunting.

Edited by JumperPenn

I am not saying that some servers are full and have lots of players.

I am saying with 1.7 million players and about 200 servers that means on an average 8500 per server.

Would someone like to give a number for a full server? To me it would have to be at least 10000 players. Servers should allow everyone to play at the same time if they would like, wouldnt they? Do the people on full servers see that many people on?

Of course TOTAL subscribers != number of concurrent players.

I expected they'd be releasing stuff post launch as they had oh so many things they would add post launch. Well it is a month post launch and not only did they not fix many of the beta issues they haven't added any of those other things either.

Development of this game seems exceptionally slow and to top it off I feel it is being managed poorly, customer support, decisions on content release/development/bug hunting.

Did you miss all the fixes plus the content that's been added? Have you logged on at all? Read any patch notes/dev posts?

1.7 million users at $60 a pop is $102,000,000 - in less than 2 months on the shelf.....

If they don't sell another copy this year and %50 quit subing before the end of the year.

That's still as much as $140,000,000 in sub fees during 2012 <--- more than the game

That's as much as $240 million before expensions.

This game is already a wild success story- they'll be making money off it before the end of the spring. Most business models don't make a dime during the first 3 years. And they managed to do it with a game that wasn't even ready to go live.

Not a fanboi- but I can do the math.

How much money they make does not make the game a success or not. IT might have been a good investment but it doesnt make the game a success.

Making the game a success is having people keep playing it and getting more and more people to play it. To expect 50% of your customers to quit within a year of your product being release isnt making a successful product.

Many people bought this game because of the hype and expectations for the game. To have 20% of your customers quit after 1 month means there is something wrong with it.

Dont get me wrong. I want this game to do well and I want to keep playing it but please dont call the game a success because of expectations.

Did you miss all the fixes plus the content that's been added? Have you logged on at all? Read any patch notes/dev posts?

I did manage to despite the lack of fixes for my issue and any real help from EA/bw CS.

Read them I still see the issues I saw from beta.

Seems you want to ignore what is going on and pretend the handful of things done mean everything has been fixed, so be it.

Of course TOTAL subscribers != number of concurrent players.

? what are you trying to say. The game has been out for less that 2 months so no one that has renewed a sub has quit with their numbers.

By their number they said they have 1.7 active subs. That to me means they have bought the game and activated the game to play. The total amount that have bought the game is over 2 million so that is saying that at least 400,000 have already canceled their sub and no longer play. So 1.7 million people are paying 15 a month to play.

With 200 servers that means on average about 8500 per server. I know not everyone plays all the time and dont expect them all to but please get real.

If there are 200 servers and the full capacity is say 5000 players that means that only 1 million people can play at a time so 700,000 people can not play even if they wanted too?

Server cap has to be above the average of number of players for a server so it has to be 8500 atleast or they would have to add more servers. Its like tickets, you can not sell 2x as many tickets as you do seats because you dont figure on everyone showing up.

You should know by now that most 'haters' haven't played the game. they just buy the box to be able to post doom and gloom threads. of course, after today I doubt you will see many "TOR IS FAILING" posts ;p

? what are you trying to say. The game has been out for less that 2 months so no one that has renewed a sub has quit with their numbers.

By their number they said they have 1.7 active subs. That to me means they have bought the game and activated the game to play. The total amount that have bought the game is over 2 million so that is saying that at least 400,000 have already canceled their sub and no longer play. So 1.7 million people are paying 15 a month to play.

With 200 servers that means on average about 8500 per server. I know not everyone plays all the time and dont expect them all to but please get real.

If there are 200 servers and the full capacity is say 5000 players that means that only 1 million people can play at a time so 700,000 people can not play even if they wanted too?

Server cap has to be above the average of number of players for a server so it has to be 8500 atleast or they would have to add more servers. Its like tickets, you can not sell 2x as many tickets as you do seats because you dont figure on everyone showing up.

I am trying to say this in the least offensive way, but I think you should eat more fish.

subs numbers != concurrent players

That means you can have 2 million subs BUT a maximum of 1 milllion plays AT THE SAME TIME. Now get off this forum and go study. Something, not important what but something. it's good mental exercise

You should know by now that most 'haters' haven't played the game. they just buy the box to be able to post doom and gloom threads. of course, after today I doubt you will see many "TOR IS FAILING" posts ;p

Why is that?

This is the first thread I've seen...well, pretty much ever on the General Forums here that actually has some intelligent people who know what they're talking about and are laying down facts. Those same people are not implying the game's long-term success, but by all accounts there's no reason to be pessimistic about it.

I still don't understand all the trolls and such. If you're so very unhappy with the game, and you think it's going to fail so badly...go do something else. Preferably something productive.

Regardless, I wanted to thank the OP for his post here, and...ah, that other guy, whose name I can't recall precisely at this moment, for contending a couple of points with him and thus providing greater information to any educated readers.

I am trying to say this in the least offensive way, but I think you should eat more fish.

subs numbers != concurrent players

That means you can have 2 million subs BUT a maximum of 1 milllion plays AT THE SAME TIME. Now get off this forum and go study. Something, not important what but something. it's good mental exercise

Since you are so smart please tell me how many toons logged in will determine a full server?

Waiting for an insult reply instead of just answering the question. I do find it funny when someone wants to support something but cant really do it they will use the insult the player tactics.

Hello,

We understand that earnings and subscription numbers are important topics right now. In the interest of keeping your discussion consolidated in one place we will be closing this thread and inviting you to continue the discussion in the following thread:

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Please continue your discussion at the above link. Thanks!