Diagnostic scan?

Pricia

It is the healer's version of auto attack. The Smuggler and Trooper use a different type of healing than the healers from WoW and other mmo's specifically because of these auto attack heals and their corresponding buffs that increase healing and are consumed for the better heals.

This is the bad way to look at it: Diagnostic Scan does almost no healing, why would I cast it instead of Slow Release Medpack or Emergency Medpack?

This is the correct way to look at it: Diagnostic scan gives me energy and a small amount of healing for absolutely no cost. If I would otherwise be standing there, twiddling my thumbs, I should use a GCD to cast Diagnostic Scan.

Don't look at it like Diagnostic Scan versus Emergency Medpack; look at it like Diagnostic Scan versus a GCD that isn't used. Now, if you are the type of healer that likes to dps (first of all, shame on you) then you can debate in your head whether you want to gain a little energy and get some healing put out, or use energy and do a little dps. You simply can't play either the Smuggler or Trooper like traditional WoW healers where you spam a moderate heal on every GCD because you will run out of energy in no time. I guarantee every min/maxer will use Diagnostic Scan quite a bit.

You should really examine the Scoundrel tree very closely because there are a lot of skills that do little things that really shape how some powers work. For instance why do I want to use Underworld Medicine early or before I even get into combat? To get upper hand, which allows me to activate pugnacity which gives me a fat energy regen rate which allows me to spam heals much more quickly and the faster you get Pugnacity going the higher your heals per minute gets since you have basically more energy to play with which itself makes using more expensive powers more often much easier if you're trying to stay above 60% power levels.

I love the whole intellectual puzzle of healing. Its worth it to really map out which powers you want because there are some gems in there.

You should really examine the Scoundrel tree very closely because there are a lot of skills that do little things that really shape how some powers work. For instance why do I want to use Underworld Medicine early or before I even get into combat? To get upper hand, which allows me to activate pugnacity which gives me a fat energy regen rate which allows me to spam heals much more quickly and the faster you get Pugnacity going the higher your heals per minute gets since you have basically more energy to play with which itself makes using more expensive powers more often much easier if you're trying to stay above 60% power levels.

I love the whole intellectual puzzle of healing. Its worth it to really map out which powers you want because there are some gems in there.

Beautifully said sir...I too enjoy the dynamics of healing on TOR, especially with the smuggler. In that other game, you could spam holy light, ur biggest, and best heal, non stop for a 10 minute raid fight and still have over 90% mana after the fact. Really stupid. Here, its like driving a car. You have to constantly switch ur attention between all the health bars, your position in relation to other players, ur position to dangerous things (am I too close to fire or boss?), and of course your energy bar as well as its little buffs (upper hand). It is also not pulling the most gigantic numbers out of thin air. You have to be smart, and play with a bit of tact or you will run out of energy and its over....

More on topic, those talents for diagnostic scan REALLY help!

They've really made a fantastic healing system, if for no other class than the Scoundrel and Operative. It's so fun to heal and requires a lot of concentration and planning. Never got that in... that other game.

.....and the other great thing is we can do so much more on top of it, it really is a cool class build. :D