Allow more choice in weapon types

Daezihang

Would anyone else think allowing more freedom in weapon types - for every class - be a good idea?

I'd love my Shadow to viably use a single-bladed lightsaber; and my Bounty Hunter to use a blaster rifle, if I so choose.

People may argue "Well it would make it harder to identify the class type you are fighting in PvP", but I consider this a minor issue and you can quickly summise this by what they are wearing and the abilities they are using. Anyway, I suspect many would rather have greater choice in weapon types as a trade-off for the slight inconvenience in recognising what class you are fighting.

Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Would anyone else think allowing more freedom in weapon types - for every class - be a good idea?

I'd love my Shadow to viably use a single-bladed lightsaber; and my Bounty Hunter to use a blaster rifle, if I so choose.

People may argue "Well it would make it harder to identify the class type you are fighting in PvP", but I consider this a minor issue and you can quickly summise this by what they are wearing and the abilities they are using. Anyway, I suspect many would rather have greater choice in weapon types as a trade-off for the slight inconvenience in recognising what class you are fighting.

Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

I think the bigger issue would be trying to rebalance all the weapons and abilities for multiple possible weapon loadouts.

Is it not the case that all types of weapons have the same distribution of stats, regardless of type?

For example a double-bladed 'saber with a level 5 hilt would be identical to a level 5 hilted single-bladed in every way, save cosmetics. I shouldn't think it would be a massive undertaking to add a few already modded orange double-bladed with strength; or a blaster rifle with alacricity mods in it.

We already get oddly 'stat-ed' green items, for example assault cannons with cunning on them.

I keep saying that I think it's going to get quite dull to use a weapon that looks the same all the time. It's only been over a month so far, but as years pass, we will probably want to change things up sometime. I'd like to try an electrostaff - something big, heavy looking and totally different than the light saber I had since level 10.

To criticise my own idea a little: It would create more loot conflict, particularly in flashpoints; but I could live with this for the advantage of playing a more iconic Qui-Gon-esque Jedi Shadow (because let's face it, he's more of a melee than a ranged).

Is it not the case that all types of weapons have the same distribution of stats, regardless of type?

No; blasters pistols vs. blaster rifles vs. sniper rifles all have different base damage ranges for the same barrel ratings. I don't know how it works out for light sabers, but for ranged weapons any ability to weapon swap would require re-normalizing weapon damages and completely re-balancing every class that was currently built around the existing weapon damages.

To criticise my own idea a little: It would create more loot conflict, particularly in flashpoints; but I could live with this for the advantage of playing a more iconic Qui-Gon-esque Jedi Shadow (because let's face it, he's more of a melee than a ranged).
]

Agreed, I was led to believe up to beta/launch that classes were restricted to one weapon type for itemization reasons. However weapons are completly generic, as in they all have same stats and same damage.

Its also not like we actually use ou offhands. ie) agent can use knife attacks with no knife equpied. Assassin hold double bladed saber with one hand. Knight/Jugg holds thier 1 saber with 2 hands.

YES!!!!

I totally agree. I love my shadow but made a guardian for the classic single saber fighting look, but I really miss project and stealth. If I could make a shadow with a single saber I would have never stopped. I also have a combat medic trooper and really dont think the commando should have that big gun, they should have a blaster to be more mobile.