I've hit 20...would like some advice now please.

Lycanaar

So, as per title I've just hit 20 and I have a few decisions to make, and I'd really appreciate some input. I've read the primer and I still have some questions.

First of all, I'm on Taris and most quests that I'm coming across are coming up as green to me- is it time to move to Nar Shaddaa for levelling/class progression? Or is it worth fleshing out Taris for a bit?

I was initially speccing into the combat tree, and then respecced into watchman when I read that it's probably the best way to go for DPS. I'm finding that while it seems to work ok for single target, it's not much good for groups of mobs, which at this point in the game seems to be how most of them travel- should I have stayed in combat? For some reason, I'm finding that I'm dying MUCH quicker under this spec, though I can't think why. Is watchman the kind of build which needs a lot more points in it before it becomes viable?

Sorry for being a bit new, but when you search the internets for leveling guides and advice on builds all I keep finding are paid-for products...

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.

As far as questing, the answer depends on what you are looking for in the game. Some players really love the pve / questing aspect of the game, and as such spend as much time as they can doing all those little quests. As for myself, I wanted to hit 50, so every time a planets quests turned green i would hurry up and finish my class quests so that i could leave.

As far as builds go many people tend to favor watchman, but it really depends on your play style. I use combat tree myself.

Watchman is a fine leveling spec, Sentinel is probably the hardest class to level solo so dont worry if it seems slow to you.

Try to find a buddy to level with, or ask players you see in the zone if they are on the same quest as you.

If you are forced to solo use your companion as a meat shield, send it in first then pick off mobs while it dies.

It takes 2 seconds to dismiss your dead companion and summon him again on full hp, it takes 5+ seconds to regen to full health.

As for zone, as long as you complete the class quest chain in each zone the rest do not matter, if you have done the majority of quests by all means move on.

There are plenty of ways to gain xp besides questing. The daily space missions give awsome xp for the time they take to complete (spend a few thousand credits on starship upgrades and the missions are very easy).

Lastly do stick with Sentinel, it is the hardest class in the game to play well but the reward is worth it!

hope this helps!

Thanks for the input, both of you- very much appreciated.

So, is there a reason I seem to be dying much faster in Watchmen vs Combat, or am I imagining it?

My rotation at the moment is something like force leap, overload saber, zealous strike, cauterize, blade storm...rinse and repeat. Does this sound about right?

Bladestorm cost 4 focus in watchman spec, slash costs 3 (-1 refunded for trait) so consider using that instead.

But this is a minor change realy, your rotations sounds fine.

There is no major survivability difference between Combat and Watchman at lvl 20.

Just remember to keep stacking that power and strength, if you get orange items while leveling you can then take the zone commendations as quest rewards and turn them in for upgraded mods, armouring, hilts etc on the orange items.

On level hilts for your lightsabres make such a big difference.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me

Edited by -Arcane-

IMO, Watchman is the Sentinel leveling spec, since Combat and Focus aren't really good until 43 when you get your 31 pt talent and 3 points into Slash/Blade Rush cost reduction in the Watchman tree, while Watchman is great from the moment you get Overload Saber.

Thanks for all the replies. By 'stacking power' I'm guessing you mean force power? Only things which seem to have that so far are my lightsabres...granted I'm a bit under equipped- wearing lvl 13-15 gear (I'm lvl 21) and struggling to get anything better thus far. Any recommendations for getting gear better suited for my level beyond waiting for half decent quest rewards?

So, as per title I've just hit 20 and I have a few decisions to make, and I'd really appreciate some input. I've read the primer and I still have some questions.

First of all, I'm on Taris and most quests that I'm coming across are coming up as green to me- is it time to move to Nar Shaddaa for levelling/class progression? Or is it worth fleshing out Taris for a bit?

I was initially speccing into the combat tree, and then respecced into watchman when I read that it's probably the best way to go for DPS. I'm finding that while it seems to work ok for single target, it's not much good for groups of mobs, which at this point in the game seems to be how most of them travel- should I have stayed in combat? For some reason, I'm finding that I'm dying MUCH quicker under this spec, though I can't think why. Is watchman the kind of build which needs a lot more points in it before it becomes viable?

Sorry for being a bit new, but when you search the internets for leveling guides and advice on builds all I keep finding are paid-for products...

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.

Once you get cyclone slash the AoE will become a lot more intuitive since it and force sweep only cost 1 in watchman

Thanks for all the replies. By 'stacking power' I'm guessing you mean force power? Only things which seem to have that so far are my lightsabres...granted I'm a bit under equipped- wearing lvl 13-15 gear (I'm lvl 21) and struggling to get anything better thus far. Any recommendations for getting gear better suited for my level beyond waiting for half decent quest rewards?

No, Force Power is different and really doesn't have much use for a Sentinel, since we're not using a lot of Force abilities. "Power" is a secondary stat you can find on some equipment - secondary stat like crit, surge, accuracy, defense, absorption and/or shield chance. Each point of Power increases your bonus damage by .24 points, I believe.

The easiest way to jump your gear if you're overleveled (which I constantly was) is the GTN. Don't spend a lot, but a lot of times it's so oversaturated with gear that you can pick up stuff for you level for like 1,000 creds. Just gearing up should greatly improve your survivability. Also you're getting to the level where you can start equipping earpieces and implants, which will boost your overall stat pool too.

With orange-grade gear, make sure to update the upgrades to the best you can but remember this:

For lightsabers, hilts are the most important, since it increases item level, thus increasing your base damage.

For armor, armoring is the most important, since it increases item level, thus increasing armor value.

And as was said before, use Slash instead of Blade Storm, always. As a Watchman, Blade Storm is effectively a useless skill. It has utility in the other specs, but is outclassed in Watchman by Slash because of the focus reduction talent you get. Also at later levels, Slash will have a chance to instantly finish the cooldown of Cauterize, making it even more useful.

I was Focus up until 30 and I went Watchman after that and solo questing was pretty much a breeze. I did a lot of sidequests up till the 40's then I just pretty much did heroics from time to time, class quests, planet bonus and pvp.

I want to go back and do side quests there just sin't room in the quest log

<snip>

I did find at first that the Sen class is slow and at times, it seems like a chore when leveling with your companion.

I have to keep remembering to get all the non-class missions, Seems stupid for a 21 to do a 23 class mission, right?!

Thanks for some of these tips btw Arcane :D