Are guardians truely bad or is it typical mmo forum type over exaggeration?

Setharion

Love my Guardian Tank but it takes a lot of work and planning to keep threat on scattered mobs (at least in the early going. I've heard it gets better in higher lvls). Does a great job when able to focus on small clustered mobs or a single target. To each their own tho! Some people like other tanks because their easier and some like them because they are harder!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 Guardian Tank

We just started in on EV hardmode last night. We downed the Droid and Gharj with one wipe a piece. Then the pylon boss bugged out 5 times in a row (once on the last chevron on 1 side.....) so I went to bed. At no point was my damage intake too big and cooldowns were easily able to get me through the spots where I got stuck far away from my healers. Threat is only an issue when I get stunned or knocked-back from the boss (thus dropping my DPS/threat to 0). But with a good rotation, you can never need to use taunt until those situations come up.

I've tanked almost every hardmode (we don't do some because we don't need the gear) and at no point has my class selection been an issue with getting content done in either those hardmodes or OPs. In fact, it's the DPS that has issues as they are expected to deal damage needed to beat the enrages, CC adds, focus targets, and be ready to tank a standard mob or two.

If you know your spec, abilities, stats, and cooldowns: you shouldn't have any issues with tanking content in SWTOR.

Guardian tanks are fine. I would like to see a few tweaks to the defense tree and make it more viable, but I'm getting by just fine.

Alot of good responses here everyone, i appreciate it.

Heres a simple question, im only lvl 11 right now..but my T7 grabs aggro fairly easy. Now i dont die really, i actually rolled the first heroic +2 solo and didnt even have an issue with the dungeon or the boss, i beat that boss heading out of the planet i cant remember his name but he was in the end of those ruins.

With that knowledge is it safe to assume that im at least playing my class so far fairly right? The only thing right now is ill dive into a group of enemies but T7 will grab the aggro even though i feel i unload...now he is set to tank mode so maybe thats why, i need to try and set him for DPS...but im just curious if that can be a guage to follow that if your pet is grabbing the aggre then maybe im doing something wrong and i need to tweak that.

Or at this early level the class just loses aggro based upon default of the class?

Guardians are viable in PVP and PVE. I wouldn't say we are superb in either as PVP is filled with our direct counter classes right now (overabundance of Sorcerors/Operatives) but we are quite decent, either as a tank or a sweep bomber. In PVE we do acceptable damage, although without a damage meter it's difficult to verify any claim as to poor or excellent damage. Our tanking is...ok. It's not really good and requires what feels to be more effort than our counterparts but still works fine.

However I will warn you, Guardians are incredibly buggy. Playing a Scoundrel, Shadow and Commando I've yet to encounter anywhere near the same number of bugs that I do playing a Guardian. Literally every single combat as a Guardian I experience several bugs.

Guardians are viable in PVP and PVE. I wouldn't say we are superb in either as PVP is filled with our direct counter classes right now (overabundance of Sorcerors/Operatives) but we are quite decent, either as a tank or a sweep bomber. In PVE we do acceptable damage, although without a damage meter it's difficult to verify any claim as to poor or excellent damage. Our tanking is...ok. It's not really good and requires what feels to be more effort than our counterparts but still works fine.

However I will warn you, Guardians are incredibly buggy. Playing a Scoundrel, Shadow and Commando I've yet to encounter anywhere near the same number of bugs that I do playing a Guardian. Literally every single combat as a Guardian I experience several bugs.

Look at T7s abilities. turn his taunts off. He has taunts that force the mobs to attack him regardless of what you do unless you taunt after he does.

my gaurd is only lvl 45 but i went down the defense tree while lvling. as a defense guard, your dps will be very low, and until you get doc, you will rely on med packs when facing at lvl bosses, and elites, when you get doc and have him geared better then starting, fights will still be slow, but you can face off with 2 or 3 elites, some strongs and normals thrown in there and not have to much of a problem. i went biochem for the med packs, and the stims, i dont pvp so as to how well i would do in pvp i dont know. i did find that the content was a lot easier on my guard then my sentinal as to having the heavy armor, the bonus defense, and having a dps companion that can kill things quickly.

as people have said, try the class out. only you can decide if it is what you want to play.

what bugs? i havent noticed any. unless if you are talking about combat delay. which i have noticed, on all my melee classes.

My Jedi Guardian ran out of steam on Tatooine, which was where I really found my Trooper to be much more fun to play, and made that one the Republic side main.

My only real interest is PvE. At this stage, my chief goal is to see the story lines for the several classes. My JK guardian seems to be pitted against an endless series of elite bosses, and I need to be at least three or four levels above them to have a chance solo. My trooper often one-shots hers, and when she doesn't she can figure out how to succeed the next time out.

Without a healing companion, 90 second cooldown for the next heal is much too long. And a 30 minute cooldown on the only ability that gives you a chance at finishing a boss encounter is not fun, either. And I rolled a tank character; I should be able to take the hits even from a boss's special attack without it being utterly necessary to interrupt each of them. Managing interrupt cooldowns turns these encounters into a game of chance; blow one and it's time to die again.

Alot of good responses here everyone, i appreciate it.

Heres a simple question, im only lvl 11 right now..but my T7 grabs aggro fairly easy. Now i dont die really, i actually rolled the first heroic +2 solo and didnt even have an issue with the dungeon or the boss, i beat that boss heading out of the planet i cant remember his name but he was in the end of those ruins.

With that knowledge is it safe to assume that im at least playing my class so far fairly right? The only thing right now is ill dive into a group of enemies but T7 will grab the aggro even though i feel i unload...now he is set to tank mode so maybe thats why, i need to try and set him for DPS...but im just curious if that can be a guage to follow that if your pet is grabbing the aggre then maybe im doing something wrong and i need to tweak that.

Or at this early level the class just loses aggro based upon default of the class?

T7 has really good AoE threat early on so its normal. He will keep doing this until you turn off his taunts or switch him to dps mode. Either way, get used to having a hard time keeping aggro until lvl 16-18ish where you will get your first taunt and soresu form. I also find that for leveling, speccing in vigilance for the free Sweeps helps with AoE capabilities, but you will be more squishy tanking flashpoints as you'll lack the -40% damage cd from the defense tree. Guardians are all about choosing your weakness while leveling. Either be very tough and have a harder time on AoE, or squishier with good AoE capabilities, or all out single target dps with the Focus tree.

Most of the complaints for Questing and solo PvE can be narrowed down to the fact Guards get their healer companion way too late (Sith Assassins suffer the same issue).

Most people will tell you their guards was tedious to level but that it picked up in the 30s, well thats also when you get your pocket healer, which is essential for any serious solo content.

Like the old saying goes, a tank is nothing without a healer.

Sure, troopers and consulars "feel" easier, but it has a lot to do with getting their healer earlier than Guards.

With the guard, there's this awkward feeling that you're naked for a long time. Being a tank you'd expect to be this wall that doesn't die easilly, yet you do for around 35 levels because you have no heals to back you up when things get rough.

So before your mid 30s leveling your guard will mostly be a dps race against every encounter, which doesn't feel right when you remember you're playing a tanker.

Hopefully, something will be done eventually to remedy this kind of situation as it affects a lot of classes, something along the lines of companion respec'ing or being able to pick each companion's role would fix that.

Meanwhile, leveling is a dps race, so the most effective way to level a guard solo until you get your healer is to spec dps and burn them down before they kill you. That or tank a LOT of flashpoints to compensate.

When all is said and done, Guardians are a lot of fun. It is afterall the iconic class and the Kenobi template.

Edited by dargor-

Just for conversation purposes, do you guys feel this was the vision you had for the Jedi? I guess maybe im a little disappointed just in the overall...sort of...i dont know, i just feel that even with the class being viable like many have said that they purposely sort of made Jedi a bit lackluster sort of...to compensate for people wanting to play other classes. Sort of like "well im ok with troopers because Jedi's arent really that that special". Its just my overall feeling is all gathering the info.

Part of me feels like maybe they should of had something where you almost have to level to 50 as a padawan to THEN do a huge quest for becoming a Jedi...which would then simply give you a fairly awesome character hands down since Jedi are like the iconic class of Star Wars....it might be to tedious for some yet be perfect for those who simply would of loved that idea of working to be a Jedi.

Now heres a question, briefly since i know this is the guardian page. But what are the other actual 1 handed Jedi types, just need a quick rundown. Im just curious.

Without a healing companion, 90 second cooldown for the next heal is much too long. And a 30 minute cooldown on the only ability that gives you a chance at finishing a boss encounter is not fun, either. And I rolled a tank character; I should be able to take the hits even from a boss's special attack without it being utterly necessary to interrupt each of them. Managing interrupt cooldowns turns these encounters into a game of chance; blow one and it's time to die again.

If you're expecting to beat bosses into the ground by just spamming a damage rotation -- yes, you will be disappointed. If you and your companion are properly geared, your 3-minute cooldowns and maybe a medkit should be enough to beat any class quest. The 20-minute heroic cooldown makes most of them a cakewalk. 'Normal' elites are much, much easier once you get Doc, but you still have to pay attention on class quest bosses. (Especially the ones that can CC your companion.)

Against bosses that use elemental special attacks (those Sith lords love their force lightning!), you need to interrupt almost everything, as there is almost no mitigation for those attacks and they will melt your face.

You should have three stuns (Stasis, Push, Pommel Strike) on a 60s cooldown and a short-cooldown interrupt (Kick) that locks out the interrupted ability for a while. Occasionally something will have enough different special attacks to get a few through, but it's rare. Do things like Stasis -> Kick -> Pommel Strike -> Kick -> Push -> Kick. By then Stasis should almost be back up. Force Leap also interrupts, if you push them away and they start casting something immediately.

what bugs? i havent noticed any. unless if you are talking about combat delay. which i have noticed, on all my melee classes.

I will only list a few but these are the ones I encounter every fight.

Riposte - Sometimes triggers GCD, sometimes will not work during a GCD, sometimes will stop halfway through the animation and will not fire off and this behavior can occur several times in a row requiring me to use Riposte roughly 4-5 times just to get it to work

Blade Storm - Same animation issues as Riposte

Courage Talent - Will not work based on certain combinations. For example, if I have 2 stacks of Courage and 2 Focus, it will not let me cast Blade Storm. Yet 3 stacks of Courage and 1 Focus or 1 Courage / 3 Focus works. 2 Stacks of Courage and 1 Focus will not let me use Force Sweep but other combinations will.

Animation + Knockback - This may not be a bug, but if I'm knocked back during the animation of Blade Storm / Force Sweep / Overhead Slash / etc., the ability does not deal damage (apparently it calculates the KB first) yet still puts the ability on CD.

Possibly not bug but Force Sweep Stun doesn't count for Opportune Strike - The Force Sweep stun doesn't count on allowing Opportune Strike, personally a Stun counts as an Immobilize to me since they darn well can't move while stunned...yet Hilt Strike's stun counts?

Deflection animation overrides ability - I always thought everyone was crazy until last night when this happened to me twice in a row. I couldn't use Force Sweep because it was canceled by the deflect animation.

Force Stasis ready but not - Force Stasis is off CD according to the tooltip and the icon is fully lit but it kept telling me that the ability wasn't ready yet.

I could go on but don't have time right now. I think however that you get the point.

EDIT: To the poster above, player Force Lightning is considered Energy and thereby mitigated by armor. I'm not sure if the NPC version is considered elemental but you might want to verify that first that is in fact elemental and not energy.

Edited by DarkwingGT

I will only list a few but these are the ones I encounter every fight.

Riposte - Sometimes triggers GCD, sometimes will not work during a GCD, sometimes will stop halfway through the animation and will not fire off and this behavior can occur several times in a row requiring me to use Riposte roughly 4-5 times just to get it to work

Blade Storm - Same animation issues as Riposte

I believe Riposte is supposed to trigger GCD if you're not doing something else already, but if not then that is indeed broken.

I have not seen either of these abilities glitch and not fire.

Courage Talent - Will not work based on certain combinations. For example, if I have 2 stacks of Courage and 2 Focus, it will not let me cast Blade Storm. Yet 3 stacks of Courage and 1 Focus or 1 Courage / 3 Focus works. 2 Stacks of Courage and 1 Focus will not let me use Force Sweep but other combinations will.

I haven't noticed that but will try to reproduce. You should post this in the 'community' forum as a bug.

Animation + Knockback - This may not be a bug, but if I'm knocked back during the animation of Blade Storm / Force Sweep / Overhead Slash / etc., the ability does not deal damage (apparently it calculates the KB first) yet still puts the ability on CD.

Not a bug -- most attacks deal damage (or stun, etc.) when the animation actually 'hits', not instantly. These attacks can be interrupted by a quicker stun/KB. In PvP this can also happen if someone triggered their ability right before yours -- the server has to straighten it out. Agree it would be nice if you didn't lose the CD when this happens, or if both abilities went off (this can happen in WoW -- it's pretty funny when two Rogues stun each other simultaneously 1v1.)

Possibly not bug but Force Sweep Stun doesn't count for Opportune Strike - The Force Sweep stun doesn't count on allowing Opportune Strike, personally a Stun counts as an Immobilize to me since they darn well can't move while stunned...yet Hilt Strike's stun counts?

Not a bug -- 'stun' is not an 'immobilize'. I do agree this is awkward and poorly explained. IMO they should let you use Opportune Strike during stuns (or just get rid of it and make Hilt Strike's cooldown shorter -- though I do love backhanding people!). Opportune Strike is active right after Force Leap or if you use Freezing Force.

Deflection animation overrides ability - I always thought everyone was crazy until last night when this happened to me twice in a row. I couldn't use Force Sweep because it was canceled by the deflect animation.

I thought Bioware was fixing this in the latest patch. I will keep an eye out for it. If it is still happening you should report it.

Force Stasis ready but not - Force Stasis is off CD according to the tooltip and the icon is fully lit but it kept telling me that the ability wasn't ready yet.

Haven't seen that one, though sometimes the VERY bottom of the icon is still shaded with the cooldown overlay but it 'looks' active. There could be a very small lag between your UI saying it comes off cooldown and the server actually letting you use it again.

EDIT: To the poster above, player Force Lightning is considered Energy and thereby mitigated by armor. I'm not sure if the NPC version is considered elemental but you might want to verify that first that is in fact elemental and not energy.

Yeah, I know the PC version of it is a 'force' ability and mitigated by armor. I'm pretty sure -- based on how much it hurts my tank -- that the NPC variant, or at least the one used by the Sith Lord bosses, is not.

You should have three stuns (Stasis, Push, Pommel Strike) on a 60s cooldown and a short-cooldown interrupt (Kick) that locks out the interrupted ability for a while. Occasionally something will have enough different special attacks to get a few through, but it's rare. Do things like Stasis -> Kick -> Pommel Strike -> Kick -> Push -> Kick. By then Stasis should almost be back up. Force Leap also interrupts, if you push them away and they start casting something immediately.

If I try to do that, that's all I get to do. Any DPS will be done by the companion, whom I can't heal either; and since they will be doing the damage, they have to tank also. I can taunt, but it won't last forever, and it's one more thing to keep me from focusing on interrupts.

I'll leave my JK sitting until the class becomes as fun and relaxing to play as the Trooper is. Unless I decide to recycle the name.

Edited by Heraclea

If I try to do that, that's all I get to do. Any DPS will be done by the companion, whom I can't heal either; and since they will be doing the damage, they have to tank also. I can taunt, but it won't last forever, and it's one more thing to keep me from focusing on interrupts.

I don't understand what you mean by "they have to tank also". Your companion SHOULD be doing tons of damage, but the boss mob should be hitting you. If you interrupt the boss' specials and throw in your defensive cooldowns and maybe a medpack, you should go a pretty long time before you die. If your companion is pulling aggro from the thing you're actively attacking, either they are in the wrong stance (or you didn't turn off T7's taunt), or you're in the wrong stance, or you didn't put Guard on them.

In a fight with an elite and a couple weak/normal guys, you should use things like Master Strike or Blade Storm/Sweep->Hilt Strike to quickly down (or help down) the adds. Or just let your companion take them down while you focus on the elite.

Edit:

If you don't like juggling threat and interrupts/stuns, leveling as a tank may not be for you. Maybe try a Vigilance spec and use T7 as a tank?

Edited by matthiaskotor

I'm 50 now and leveled as the Defense tree and I definitely wouldn't consider the class bad. I rarely, rarely died and in warzone's I've been able to really farm medals by getting protection and damage medals. I've yet to try hardmode flashpoints or operations yet but so far I wouldn't consider the class weak at all. They need a few tweaks for sure but overall it's good.

Maybe its just because im getting older and since MMOing from the Ultima days, maybe im getting tired out...but its getting quite mentally strenuous to wrap your brain around the complaining as opposed to the "class is good if you dont suck". The last few years i just notice how challenging it is to actually make choices when reading forums because its almost as if every choice pretty much either sucks or is great and the answers are fairly lopsided.

Im not looking to tackle the world in this game, ill never be the number 1 Jedi....i just want to be viable, have fun and bring some value to a party...is guardian a fairly safe bet?

Are Guardians able to at least have the option to be a tank, OR be there for DPS depending the setup?

Or are Sents almost hands down the way to go for what value they bring to a party?

I posted on the main class board but figured id throw a post here on the guardian board to ssee if i can get some more indepth thoughts.

Guardians have some issues but they are playable. I've had a few people come to me (at level 50) and say something along the lines of "One of our guildies stopped leveling his guardian because he says they are unplayable, blah blah blah, is it true?"

The answer is no, it's not true. But playing a guardian effectively is difficult. Being as effective as ranged classes takes twice the work.

My biggest gripe is the lack of AOE threat generation. Guardians are not OP, they are slightly under powered, IMO. But they are definitely playable.

Whenever Bioware gets around to balancing the classes, Guardians will be fine. There is nothing inherently "broken" about them, but there is nothing "outstanding" about them either.

For a while though, tanking multiple MOBS at once will be tough on guardians because of the lack of AOE threat generation, there's not a whole lot a guardian can do besides micro-manage to the best of their ability.

Guardians have some issues but they are playable. I've had a few people come to me (at level 50) and say something along the lines of "One of our guildies stopped leveling his guardian because he says they are unplayable, blah blah blah, is it true?"

The answer is no, it's not true. But playing a guardian effectively is difficult. Being as effective as ranged classes takes twice the work.

My biggest gripe is the lack of AOE threat generation. Guardians are not OP, they are slightly under powered, IMO. But they are definitely playable.

Whenever Bioware gets around to balancing the classes, Guardians will be fine. There is nothing inherently "broken" about them, but there is nothing "outstanding" about them either.

For a while though, tanking multiple MOBS at once will be tough on guardians because of the lack of AOE threat generation, there's not a whole lot a guardian can do besides micro-manage to the best of their ability.

A 4 stacked singularity w/ Sunder sweep will make any Focus guardian feel OP. I can take out geared casters and tanks with all my CD's. Problem is once you blow your CD's you might as well break out the wet noodle because you'll hit harder with it.

Guardians are UP until you get them geared. Entering the 50 bracket with 48 and 49 level mods and green gear you're going to feel like you suck. But as you progress and get the gear your damage will climb and you will be a force on the battle field.

Focus is for sure the hardest hitting of the 3. Vig is applied damage. Focus is instant damage. I have 5 pieces of Champ gear and my max hit in WZ's has been well over 4K. I take down enemy casters and healers with no trouble. I die no more than most and I gen rank in the top 5 in over all damage.

It is a viable profession and it is a hell of a lot of fun to play once you learn how to play them.

Edited by Ceasaigh

I'll leave my JK sitting until the class becomes as fun and relaxing to play as the Trooper is. Unless I decide to recycle the name.

Well what's fun is certainly a matter of opinion. Cause I assume by relaxing you mean plain easy. And I certainly don't find a 1 button class like trooper all that thrilling but that's just me.

Great thread. I have a baby Guardian myself but am having trouble finding any sort of sticky guide (something along the lines of the Shadow Handbook in the Shadow forums).

Does anyone have a recommended DPS leveling spec for both PVE and PVP? I plan on doing both as I level.

Thank in advance.

Great thread. I have a baby Guardian myself but am having trouble finding any sort of sticky guide (something along the lines of the Shadow Handbook in the Shadow forums).

Does anyone have a recommended DPS leveling spec for both PVE and PVP? I plan on doing both as I level.

Thank in advance.

If you're going to do both, I'd recommend focus. Im a fan of Vigilance myself, but Focus is really more effective from a PvP perspective, and does fine in PvE. Vigilance is great for PvE, but from what I hear (don't PvP myself) somewhat lackluster in PvP.

this doesn't account for the defense tree, which works great in both...but it is slower leveling then the DPS options.

to the OP: I started playing other classes before I got to my JK. got quite a few others, some at 30 or so, some in their 20's, many in their teens. both sides of the equation.

and so far, the one I enjoy leveling the most (even with the frustrations) is my knight (just started the sith side version as well). Most of that revolves around the mechanics. it's simply more enjoyable for me to have to engage myself and plan out my skill use. i have a bounty hunter and shadow consular in their 30's, and neither I feel is as fun as my knight. Certainly easier at times to level (especially the BH), but you have to decide based on how you enjoy your game.

If your looking for a easy "hop the dots" run to 50, then this may not be the class. But if you like the idea that your decisions about skill use will matter, sometimes right away, you will probably enjoy this class.

To me, the issue is not the difficulty of the mechanics. I still enjoy the class even with it's downfalls. My frustration is that a class I enjoy so much can't perform as the other classes do. And most of it is general skill mechanics that could be adjusted for a smoother execution. But overall, i still reach for my guard when I am logging in.

If Bio could do some fine tuning (and shift a few skills amongst the trees), then I would have little reason to play anything else. that's about it.

Edited by Elyx

I remember seing a dev saying they felt Guardians were fine and didn't need any buff/adjusting. It was in the old Knights/Warriors need a big buff thread from 1-2 weeks ago.

So I wouldn't hold out too much for anything honestly. I agree that we need some more AoE love or a ranged pull/disarm tho

I remember seing a dev saying they felt Guardians were fine and didn't need any buff/adjusting. It was in the old Knights/Warriors need a big buff thread from 1-2 weeks ago.

So I wouldn't hold out too much for anything honestly. I agree that we need some more AoE love or a ranged pull/disarm tho

Well and to be fair some of those issues may go away when I finally decide on a respec. I'm almost 100% defense tree right now, with maybe 7-8 points in the middle tree to give me a better force sweep (and thus, a little better AOE threat generation).

I've wanted to respec with some more points in the DPS trees for a while now but I've just been lazy about actually doing it, and then getting used to the new spec.

And I AM talking from a PVE perspective. I pvp some, but i prefer PVE most times unless I just want a quick SWTOR fix or a game of huttball.

I really do need to respec, but I don't want to lose any of my tanking ability to gain some dps, but then I really would like some added DPS. lol. Ahhh well.

Edited by CriticalMasses