Want to try marauder but I am skeert...

futuredami

disclaimer

<<<PVE ONLY. I NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL PVP, EVER. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH PVP COMMENTARY, I DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT>>>

sorry. ok!

They apparently are very difficult to master, and though some people defend them as ok, the general consensus is that they have ability-bloat and a really unforgiving set of rotations/priorities/conditional skills.

Thing is... they look so... COOL

I mean I would probably be better off just making a merc and having fun, but do you think I could eventually adapt to the combat style?

Should I heed the warning and save myself the frustration?

Marauder gets awesome once you get your healer/tank companion.

That is good to hear because Broonmark is awesome looking and Quinn is adorable.

Apparently we don't get our core lineup of skills till the mid 30s making it really hard to judge how the class feels in the early game.

Odd choice, sniper was not set up like that at all. I got a really good sense of how level 50 was going to be even on hutta. They just sprinkled nice tricks on top every few levels.

Marauder is basically about building rage through abilities and dumping it through abilities that require it...sometimes a tricky balance, but once you get the hang of it it's not that tough. Placing your abilities based on rage use/build, is always a good plan. Also there is a buff that is granted once you reach a stack of 30 rage...or have used a rage ability enough to grant a buff, depending on your stance.

The story line is fun too! Everyone loves to be in the same class as Darth Vader, right!?

I say go for it, the story line is sweet. The play style is difficult but i mean that in the challenging way and if you like Quinn then great because I doubt you'll use another. I personally think he is a HUGE douche but he does make life easier and much less frustrating but would be nice to take Vette or another along, but there ya go.

Now regarding PvP, we...... well if you wanted to hear the end of that go to that forum roll your face along the keyboard and whichever thread you land in you will have your response.

Why not try a DPS Jug?

They play much more fluidly, there's less of an ability bloat issue - DPS Jug rotations actually make sense and you get to not spend most of your rage keeping up your defensive CDs - they got all the fun skills Marauders lack, like Saber Throw and Force Push, and better looking gear besides (if you want to play a Marauder for the progression video look you should know that it's the Jugs who, in the end, got those hooded robes. Marauders g0t metal bikins and airplane shoulders and shark fin helmets and unbendable capes).

Edited by direborne

Marauder is basically about building rage through abilities and dumping it through abilities that require it...sometimes a tricky balance, but once you get the hang of it it's not that tough. Placing your abilities based on rage use/build, is always a good plan. Also there is a buff that is granted once you reach a stack of 30 rage...or have used a rage ability enough to grant a buff, depending on your stance.

The story line is fun too! Everyone loves to be in the same class as Darth Vader, right!?

Darth Vader was a juggernaut. He is exactly what juggernauts were based off.

Marauder's look the asme as Juggernauts atm except they have two light sabres. Being a juggernaut will make your life easier. Play marauder cause you love it, not cause it looks cool. Try leveling with annihilation if you do decide to play one.

If you're worried about getting frustrated then you'd probably be best off using annihilation and quinn as a companion. Annihilation is probably the best spec for PvE, rage I would say is the best for PvP as long as you aren't predictable and carnage is the best for sheer damage.

Annihilation gives a self healing effect with crit procs on you bleed effects, given that berserk with Juyo form (the form used for annihilation) also gives an AoE heal effect on bleed effects and 100% critical rate on bleeds... annihilation has the best survivability. fully specced you gain 3% of your maximum HP every tick when you have a bleed effect on an enemy and berserk active for I believe it's 5 ticks (so 15% of your maximum HP recovered every berserk).

As for berserk itself it is a fury ability, fury is a little bit complicated to explain but basically fury is a buff effect that builds up while you're performing certain actions (like attacks that consume rage) and when it builds up to 30 it opens some abilities of which berserk is one of them. Annihilation has the best fury building ability called short fuse which is in it's 4th tier (only going annihilation would make it available at level 25/26).

Rage is probably the worst for PvE because it generally has the biggest/most down time between battles... while rage has more survivability then carnage, carnage's higher overall damage is more significant and so if you aren't PvPing I wouldn't recommend rage.

Darth Vader was a juggernaut. He is exactly what juggernauts were based off.

Marauder's look the asme as Juggernauts atm except they have two light sabres. Being a juggernaut will make your life easier. Play marauder cause you love it, not cause it looks cool. Try leveling with annihilation if you do decide to play one.

Well I never personally found Vader to be that cool. He seems like a clunky slow fighter with no style or finesse. I usually play the thief archetype in games, I find agility melee classes the most appealing.

But really to me looks > everything else when I am playing a game. I don't mind adapting to tricky gameplay if my character is awesome. I know that mercs and sorcs are easier to play, but neither of which look cool at all. I don't see what the fuss over lightning is.