Level 46 sentinel, need some tips against bosses

jedipooface

I'm a level 46 sentinel on Voss, with the watchman tree. I'm having a lot of problems with the bosses on the Voss quests. I'm finding it quite easy to take out mobs, and some elites, but I am having a lot of problems with the various bosses. I think I may need to warn about some spoilers if you keep reading, so if you don't want to know about some of the quests on Voss stop reading.

The problems I am having are on the bosses at the end of quests, quests like The Trials where you fight the Gormak Warrior, or the Visionary quest, where you have to beat Lord Beldiss (I think they are classified as elites). I am able to beat some of the elites that you meet throughout the quest, but when it comes to the actual boss elites I'm getting hammered.

I think I'm having trouble because the bosses are dealing out too much damage for me to deal with, I'm just dying really quickly. The elites I can beat just don't seem to be able to deal out a lot of damage, but when I fight the elite bosses I start losing health alarmingly fast, and I can't figure out why. I am using Lord Scourge, and I always send him in first so the boss concentrates on him, but the boss just finishes him off really quickly and then kills me really fast. I thought about maybe using doc, but I think I am losing health too fast for him to heal effectively.

I read the sentinel primer hoping that it would help me out, but this is my first time playing an mmorpg and I didn't understand a few of the things in the guide. I'm wondering if there is some key concept I'm missing, I'm not sure what stacking is or what is meant by dots and if these are pivotal concepts I may not be using them effectively. I've gotten stuck a couple times at earlier points in the game and this forum helped me out a ton, so if anyone can help me with this problem I would be very greatful. Thanks.

As Watchmen you are probably better off using Doc (make sure his gear is upgraded so you benefit as much as possible from the heals). If you time your defensive cooldowns to offset your offensive CC (stasis) or kicks/leaps to interrupt you should be able to keep most bosses at bay from damage spiking you.

With Doc I was able to solo some of the 4 man bosses on Balmorra without too much trouble. Typically they tend to have 1 or 2 really big DPS abilities that you can figure out how to use line of sight to dodge or interrupt if necessary. If you find yourself at a spot with a corner that you can run around, usually the boss stays in one spot and won't chase you if you come back fast enough. It allows a lot of cast-style attacks to not go off and thus not hurt you. It helps if you apply your burns before you kick etc as well. Let the burns do the work killing him while you try to keep your damage intake at a minimum.

It may also help if you disable some of Doc's offensive abilities so he focuses primarily on healing you.

Hope that helps!

PM me if you have any questions you need clarified.

Edited by Frogstomp

I just completed Voss the other day. It was the worst overall planet for me. I had a general lag while on the planet that I have not experienced anywhere else (Taris a bit, but not nearly as much as other people). This made the planet more difficult for me and I died about 8-10 times on the planet. Compare this to the 3 deaths with the bugged quest on the planet before and generally 1 death except to Sith Harrowers before that.

I honestly thought I was going to have to get some one to partner with me to finish up, but I did manage. So my advice:

I typically spend my commendations at the end of every planet and re-gear between. On Voss, do it as you get commendations and you probably gained 2 levels already while on the planet, so go back to fleet and check the GTN for gear. Gear is huge here.

For the fights you are having problems with you have to use Doc. You have to gear Doc. You probably want to stop his channeled abilities or he will stop healing you. You may also have to camo and have him get hit for a bit to wake his butt up to start healing you again. You have to interupt everything you can. I know the bosses have more abiities than you can interupt, just do your best at not missing an opportunity. You have to use all of your skills, you have skills to reduce 90% damage, use it, make sure to use Rebuke, use Call on the Force when the need arises. Oh and get some better medpacks from the GTN.

And sometimes you just have to sacrafice yourself for the sake of completion. Take out the weak mobs so upon respawn you can fight the gold one on one. Our lack of CC makes some of these encounters more difficult.

I think the quests could usse a little tuning here, and the lag on the planet should be looked into. Or maybe the lag is me, I don't know, but it was very noticeable on Voss. Good Luck!

Using Doc will solve 90% of your problems. Make sure to turn off his DPS/CC ability's and everything will be easy. If your fighting a boss where your able to build up centering ahead of time(by whacking on mobs before you fight boss) - it helps alot. Bring some extra med kits also, splurge on one your lvl for max healing.

If you use your defensive ability's correctly, you should be able to use most of your companions semi effectively, however obviously some are better then others. I used my R2 until about 42 - then made the switch to doc for the last stretch.

Interupt their abilities.

Saber Ward. Rebuke.

Gear is important but I never bought anything, everything I got was from commendations or quests. Never did flashpoints either. If you dont need anything with left over commendations buy stuff for your companion. When the item was only a minor upgrade I bought a modification for my orange instead of an entireley new item.

Leveled 1-50 as combat entire time using Kira. Doc slows things down but makes it more reliable. Kira is fast but you have to know how to find a rotation that lets her take like 50% of hits while you walk the line of not pulling aggro until she is in danger.

And sometimes you just have to sacrafice yourself for the sake of completion. Take out the weak mobs so upon respawn you can fight the gold one on one. Our lack of CC makes some of these encounters more difficult.!

Actually these are probably the easiest. I could basically take out 2 regular mobs before they got more 2 shots in. Leap + Oppurtune strike is dead, if I got lucky with a ataru I could bladestorm and kill another, then force slam for pommel strike on another. Im sure it would be the same for other specs just pommel strike after blade storm.

I love this class because playing it doesn't put me to sleep like with the other 1-3 button classes.

• 1 year later...

There are some bosses on Voss that are simple unbeatable. I have a level 50 Sentinel with decent gear (I can't find anything higher in armour, strength and power at the moment on the trade network) I try to fight Krukal Gormak seer for example and my rotations are force leap, overload sabre, zealous strike cauterise and master strike. I rebuke, sabre ward when in can and even used heroic moment. I inspiration and zen when i can to maximise burns. I interrupt with Force stasis and force kick but he doesn't seem to have a special move to interrupt, he just does sooooo much damage and has soooo much life!

I have Doc and I've geared him up with as high an armour as I can buy with an eye for power and cunning.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, are these bosses just simply unbeatable as a solo?

Interupt their abilities.

Saber Ward. Rebuke.

Gear is important but I never bought anything, everything I got was from commendations or quests. Never did flashpoints either. If you dont need anything with left over commendations buy stuff for your companion. When the item was only a minor upgrade I bought a modification for my orange instead of an entireley new item.

Leveled 1-50 as combat entire time using Kira. Doc slows things down but makes it more reliable. Kira is fast but you have to know how to find a rotation that lets her take like 50% of hits while you walk the line of not pulling aggro until she is in danger.

Kira is an Awsome Companion :D