movement HHEEELLLPPP

Okishib

Can someone help me please?

I played swg now this - swg was the only mmo i ever played and this game is like apples and chocolate covered ants when it comes to moving your character around

how the hell do you stay centered in combat? ppl keep saying the movement controls in this game are standard for an mmo but i beg to differ(as much as i can seeing as i only ever played one other mmo)

left mouse is for looking around i guess and right mouse is for precise movement and targeting i suppose but i dont understand why you must constantly hold it down??? why the hell can you not toggle between mouselook and movement?

in combat it become extremely frustrating to have to hold the right mosue button down to adjust my perspective and orientation so i must be doing something wrong

how do i enter a fight with 2 or more enemies and keep the orientation fixed toward them

it seems that some hits cause the camera perspective to be bumped like you got shoved or maybe this is just me straight up button mashing in panic - please advise

is there an option to keep the camera pointed toward the confrontation? i rebound the a and d keys to strafe as that is the way i played swg - is this whats screwing me up? do you guys (those familiar with this [standard] control scheme) leave the keymap for movement at default config? in combat i am trying to engage 3 enemies at the same time but end up retreating constantly as i cannot for the life of me get the hang of it

you use tab to switch targets and then what, just use the movement keys to move around as you fight them? tryign to use cover doesnt work for me(maybe u have to learn it first?)

anyway there is my question in essay length someone please take pity on me and train me to be more proficient please

ps are there any SWG players reading this who are finding this as hard as i am

I actually don't know anyone playing another control setup, left button controls camera independently from character, right mouse button turns camera and character.

Run towards group op enemies, select first enemy to attack, hold right mouse button and begin your attack scheme. if opponents move around control your view accordingly.

AFAIK there is no way to automatically "lock" your camera on an enemy, which is the way it has been in WoW too. Thats probably why people say it is the standard control scheme for MMORPG's.

You'll have to find a way to be able to use WASD, your mouse and the attack buttons (123...-=) simultaniously. If that seems impossible, release WASD whenever you are in range, do your attacks, if target moves, move in range again, and repeat.

You'll get the hang of it. ;)

SWG had a /follow command that you could use which is not implemented in SWTOR, and the mechanics of orientation are completely down to the player to control, as much because some skills and abilities are keyed to your orientation to the target as anything else.

I would suggest going through the control systems and trying to find one that works well for you - SWG had several different schemes you could use, and I know that the default setup in SWTOR is different to both the default SWG scheme and the one that I found worked best for me (which was basically a FPS setup) with A and D strafing rather than turning.

Now in SWTOR, I have become used to the "hold right mouse to control camera, both mouse buttons to run, left mouse button to activate/target something" type.

Whatever works :p

so the cursor does not come into play in combat then? you just target with tab and it stays locked? i think im getting confused as i think i have to constantly adjust my camera orientation toward the enemy then let go of right mouse to bring the cursor back into view so i can centre it on him to fire at him - then if he moves i scramble to hold the right mosue button down again to do it again

is there a way to lock the camera angle to help me out a bit?

thanks for your help

so the cursor does not come into play in combat then? you just target with tab and it stays locked? i think im getting confused as i think i have to constantly adjust my camera orientation toward the enemy then let go of right mouse to bring the cursor back into view so i can centre it on him to fire at him - then if he moves i scramble to hold the right mosue button down again to do it again

is there a way to lock the camera angle to help me out a bit?

thanks for your help

I don't know about locking the camera angle - but you can select targets by left clicking on them with the mouse cursor or using tab to cycle through visible enemies. Your current target will show up in the circle on the right hand end of your hotkey bar (opposite your own portrait) and it shouldn't change unless you tab or left click on another valid target. Unlike first/third person shooters you always attack the target you have selected no matter what your camera angle - although the attack may not go off if the target is out of range our behind an obstacle that blocks line of attack, usually due to movement.

Tab targetting is not very good though - it sometimes ignores targets right in front of you and picks ones far away and sometimes won't pick any target even though there is one right on your screen. There is a key bind in the options menu to target the nearest enemy - but its unbound be default, you might want to try setting that to an easy key or mouse button that is not used for something else. I bind it to T (for target).

...is there a way to lock the camera angle to help me out a bit?...

Nope. Mostly because your problem is your assumptions about the interface, rather than the interface itself.

so the cursor does not come into play in combat then? you just target with tab and it stays locked?

Exactly that. You can rotate the camera view freely and your characters attacks will still be corretly directed. You only need to make sure you keep the target in the front 180 arc of your character's current facing to be able to hit it. The mouse cursor is used for selecting targets and activating abilities. And I personally prefer to use the keyboard for activating abilities.

i think im getting confused as i think i have to constantly adjust my camera orientation toward the enemy then let go of right mouse to bring the cursor back into view so i can centre it on him to fire at him - then if he moves i scramble to hold the right mosue button down again to do it again

I think you're getting confused by something that caught me out a bit in the beta, cos it's never explained, as far as I could see. Right-clicking on a target activates the ability that's in Quickslot 1. If that's all you're using, given that there's no autoattack, then actually what you're doing is required, since you'll have to rightclick on the target every time you want to hit it, so your camera will have to be pointed at it, the mouse cursor in the area viewed, and your character at least vaguely pointed at it. However, "right-click" is not the only way to activate abilities, and you don't need to be moving all the time.

What I do is use "mouserun" (hold both mouse buttons) for movement. I have all the other movement functions bound to my mouse (strafe to my sidescrolling scroll wheel, back and autorun to thumb keys for example) so I can use my left hand to push keys on the keyboard to activate abilities. I have the habit, from WoW, of using right-click to start things off as it sets the first target and activates autoattack (which led to some hilarity when I put Force Leap on quickbutton 1), but that only gets your toon to attack once in SWTOR.

thanks for your help