The FUTURE of this game.

sjwho

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFXI was a really fun game.

Times have changed.

SWTOR is a really fun game. Who knows I might get bored next month. Or tomorrow. But I'm not going to write a book about it and demand everyone else agree with me.

MMOS back in the old days topped at like 1 million subscribers. Then WoW made it so that anybody, regardless of skill or playtime could hop on an mmo and have fun, and another 11 million people got interested.

There is no game that can convince the Ridiculous majority (casuals) that playing a hard game that requires social interaction with people they dont know is something theyd be interested in.

First you were talking about how boring it was. Now it "was a reallly fun game". You are confusing person.

Also, I'm not writing a book or demanding 'everyone else agree with me".

Just because I don't like WoW or what it has done to the MMORPG market doens't mean I am demanding anything. I have my opinions of what a MMORPG should be and what it shoudn't be. If you disagree with me, be my guest. I don't care and am perfectly comfortable with you playing WoW or SWTOR till your heart's content.

I also don't care how many millions of people play WoW. I'm not one of them. I hated the game. I know their commerical says 11 million people can't be wrong, but IMHO, they can be and are.

I'm not stupid and know companies are going to make games that make them the most profit, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it. I'm not going to change my opinions or what I like or don't like based off what makes BioWare or Blizzard the most money.

Edited by JeremyDale

That said im going to bed.

Jeremy i agree the leveling is too fast and the Cutscenes are average at best.

But at the same time:

The art style is fantastic.

The companions are great.

The playerbase (in game not forums) is wonderful

The PVP is fast paced and fun (once you get a piece or two of champion gear)

The raids are epic (when not bugged)

Its just a fun game, if it dies it dies.

Anyways, When ME3 comes out ill be a hermit until i finish it, but ill still log on to do my PVP dailys.

I gots time.

Night everyone.

I agree the art is good and the companion system is cool too.

Disagree about the PvP though. Didn't like that much :)

Same with me, it took me 11 months to finally hit level 75 for the first time in FFXI. I enjoyed every level along the way and made dozens upon dozens of friends. There were days that I logged in where I did nothing but chat with the friends I had made. Gear was important because you'd be wearing the same stuff for sometimes weeks on end. In SWTOR... I can do a dozen levels in one day so who cares about gear. there were no alts... i mean you could have one as storage or whatever, but you could play every class on one character. I don't understand the need for people to constantly make new characters, why not just have 1 that can play all classes? it makes my character feel special and multi-dimensional... not just "one toon for healing" ... "one toon for DPS" ... etc.

Well, not sure if you've played FFXI as of late, but its much easier to level now. I had a recently stint going back to that game a few months back and it was nothing like what it was. Easy, fast leveling can be found in FFXI as with SWTOR. It is the trend the genre is moving with. That being said, I disliked only have a single character. Reason being is certain classes (FFXI:jobs) didn't really exemplify the chosen race (in other words, it just looked odd to have a little taru Dark Knight. Didn't really feel the part so to speak). For some folks it does not matter (like the names of characters), but for me, it matters. I do not role play with others or anything like that, but I need my characters to be fitting to my own perceptions of what I think a class should look and feel like. Again, that's just my preference.

First you were talking about how boring it was. Now it "was a reallly fun game". You are confusing person.

Also, I'm not writing a book or demanding 'everyone else agree with me".

Just because I don't like WoW or what it has done to the MMORPG market doens't mean I am demanding anything. I have my opinions of what a MMORPG should be and what it shoudn't be. If you disagree with me, be my guest. I don't care and am perfectly comfortable with you playing WoW or SWTOR till your heart's content.

I also don't care how many millions of people play WoW. I'm not one of them. I hated the game. I know their commerical says 11 million people can't be wrong, but IMHO, they can and are.

I'm not stupid and know companies are going to make games that make them the most profit, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it. I'm not going to change my opinions or what I like or don't like based off what makes BioWare or Blizzard the most money.

I never said you would write a book or that you were demanding anything. The majority of the forum blasters on here are though.

Personally I think Bioware has completely changed everything about MMOs. Everyone is calling this game generic, but until SWTOR, all mmos Post 2004 were endgame raiding games.

SWTOR is a 1-49 Alt leveling game.

I commend Bioware on finally making a game for people who dont think its worth raiding for 3 months to get a new set of robes for the character theyve been playing for 4 years.

When i make a new character I think of a story for him. I dont RP or anything, but hes not just "Funky town beard orc"

Since i started playing most of the people ive seen quitting were the ones with Aol style screen names.

I agree the art is good and the companion system is cool too.

Disagree about the PvP though. Didn't like that much :)

The PVP system gets much better when you hit 50.

Of course you have to get geared, but they give you 8 free bags a week, not sure how people can be so incapable of understanding that expertise only gives you 10 percent reduction and that simple daily modded pve gear is enough to at least compete.

Its much more titch based PVP than the WoWs and Age Of Conans where you just slap each other for a long time until someone makes a mistake.

I never said you would write a book or that you were demanding anything. The majority of the forum blasters on here are though.

Personally I think Bioware has completely changed everything about MMOs. Everyone is calling this game generic, but until SWTOR, all mmos Post 2004 were endgame raiding games.

I commend Bioware on finally making a game for people who dont think its worth raiding for 3 months to get a new set of robes for the character theyve been playing for 4 years.

When i make a new character I think of a story for him. I dont RP or anything, but hes not just "Funky town beard orc"

Since i started playing most of the people ive seen quitting were the ones with Aol style screen names.

Bingo... Couldn't have said it better myself and agree. I am just like you concerning my characters name, story, etc. Not into roleplaying either...

Well, not sure if you've played FFXI as of late, but its much easier to level now. I had a recently stint going back to that game a few months back and it was nothing like what it was. Easy, fast leveling can be found in FFXI as with SWTOR. It is the trend the genre is moving with. That being said, I disliked only have a single character. Reason being is certain classes (FFXI:jobs) didn't really exemplify the chosen race (in other words, it just looked odd to have a little taru Dark Knight. Didn't really feel the part so to speak). For some folks it does not matter (like the names of characters), but for me, it matters. I do not role play with others or anything like that, but I need my characters to be fitting to my own perceptions of what I think a class should look and feel like. Again, that's just my preference.

You can't argue that little tarutaru dragoons in that purple armor weren't just the cutest things ever! I liked the variety of classes in FFXI. taru dark knights would have more MP for instance than a galka dark knight. That wouldn't fly in PVP games like this because everyone would scream imbalance. But in a world where you're not trying to outshine anyone on a DPS meter, one can truly enjoy playing your character and class.

You can't argue that little tarutaru dragoons in that purple armor weren't just the cutest things ever! I liked the variety of classes in FFXI. taru dark knights would have more MP for instance than a galka dark knight. That wouldn't fly in PVP games like this because everyone would scream imbalance. But in a world where you're not trying to outshine anyone on a DPS meter, one can truly enjoy playing your character and class.

For a long time in WoW orcs had stun resistance. It was lulz.

I look and see a lot of peeps disagree what a MMORPG is, well you can look at a wiki page like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

So it is a MMORPG if you look at that.

Now to the game, the story part of it yes, I would my self like a bit more main story line and less of the side quest grind... I belive it is a grind now that I have played through a cubble of clases. I still like the main quest, I would just like it a big bigger and more complex. Dont get me wrong I still play it because I do like the story.

The end game is like in WoW for me some flash points and Operations, and you get gear and see different endnings for the flashpoints I like that.

I do not PvP that mutch so I am not gonna comment on that, purely on the basis that I have no idea what it is like really.

Haha... It was funny. I referenced the Taru DK, because I had chosen a Taru. Taru beastmaster (mini-sheep!).

Guild Wars? Yes, it was considered an MMO. You're basing your expectations on 'Sand-box' MMO's, which I too love. However, like I said, the genre is moving away from that model due by in large, to the success of World of Warcraft. Part of the reason you may be un-happy with this game is because it is modeled differently than SWG. Star Wars universe, only theme-park (basically 'new age' mmo) style... Sorry to say, but this is the way the genre is moving. I liked the older titles (that 'sand-box' open world feel) too. The difference between you and I concerning this game (SWTOR) boils down to expectations. I had none (in fact, mocked the game before trying it) and am now enjoying the game. You on the other hand, probably had great expectations for this game and are let down. Moreover, you seem to like the sand-box flavor of mmo, which this game never claimed to be in the first place.

since when Guild wars was considered an MMO? This is like saying Diablo is a mmorpg.

after reading this thread, i am actually suprised how many ppl actually dont understand *** is a mmorpg... That probably explains why all these companies pumped out ****** "mmo"s in the last few years.

The reason why mmorpg was labelled "mmo" was because of how you can interact with hundreds of people at the same time playing online rpg. This happened back in the UO/linage/eq days where you had to compete with hundreds and thousands of people on the same map at the same time fighting over monsters, bosses, and loots. Those were the days when instance didnt exist. When you raid, you will have to compete with other people real time.

It doesn't matter whether the game forced you to group or solo friendly. You will still get to interact with other people solo or not because bosses and loots are non instanced/phased, and you will always meet other strangers during your journey. This is the defination of mmo back then.

No, fighting with 11 others people at the same time being the max amount of players you can interact with is NOT a mmorpg. Giving you a town hub but will place you in an instance with your party member whenever you quest or pvp (cough cough guild wars and ddo) should NOT be considered a mmorpg. Those games were no different than Diablo 1 and 2, yet the companies market them a mmorpg and tried to milk people with monthly fee, and the young ones who never played a mmorpg during the uo era fell into the trap, and the meaning of mmorpg was changed forever.

back to the topic, is swtor a mmorpg? It is. Because most areas arne't instanced, and potientally you will get to interact with hundreds of people at the same time when you quest/pvp. However, it was implemented rather poorly when you compare it to other true mmorpgs back in the days. It was too solo friendly that people dont feel like interact with others. There are lack of rare drops from rare bosses in each zone that makes people compete for the loots interactively.

but o well who cares, it's not like peple actually understand what a mmorpg is...

Well I"m not much into making alts, never have been. I"m the type of player who likes to make one character and focus all my energy and time on making him as good as possible - so maybe that's one reason SWTOR doesn't have any apparant long-lasting appeal for me.

since when Guild wars was considered an MMO? This is like saying Diablo is a mmorpg.

after reading this thread, i am actually suprised how many ppl actually dont understand *** is a mmorpg... That probably explains why all these companies pumped out ****** "mmo"s in the last few years.

The reason why mmorpg was labelled "mmo" was because of how you can interact with hundreds of people at the same time playing online rpg. This happened back in the UO/linage/eq days where you had to compete with hundreds and thousands of people on the same map at the same time fighting over monsters, bosses, and loots. Those were the days when instance didnt exist. When you raid, you will have to compete with other people real time.

It doesn't matter whether the game forced you to group or solo friendly. You will still get to interact with other people solo or not because bosses and loots are non instanced/phased, and you will always meet other strangers during your journey. This is the defination of mmo back then.

No, fighting with 11 others people at the same time being the max amount of players you can interact with is NOT a mmorpg. Giving you a town hub but will place you in an instance with your party member whenever you quest or pvp (cough cough guild wars and ddo) should NOT be considered a mmorpg. Those games were no different than Diablo 1 and 2, yet the companies market them a mmorpg and tried to milk people with monthly fee, and the young ones who never played a mmorpg during the uo era fell into the trap, and the meaning of mmorpg was changed forever.

back to the topic, is swtor a mmorpg? It is. Because most areas arne't instanced, and potientally you will get to interact with hundreds of people at the same time when you quest/pvp. However, it was implemented rather poorly when you compare it to other true mmorpgs back in the days. It was too solo friendly that people dont feel like interact with others. There are lack of rare drops from rare bosses in each zone that makes people compete for the loots interactively.

but o well who cares, it's not like peple actually understand what a mmorpg is...

The max number of players in an instance is 150, and with the way this game is level gated, if there were any more than 150 in each instance there would be some serious fighting going down over quest items and quest mobs.

all I can see in the forums is people ranting about the game but you should also learn that when one person complains that person should also be able to produce a solution to his/her complaint. If you dont enjoy the game then go unsub don't just rant all over the forums like a child "Momy I want this, Mommy I want that, WHY CANT I HAVE IT"

Well I"m not much into making alts, never have been. I"m the type of player who likes to make one character and focus all my energy and time on making him as good as possible - so maybe that's one reason SWTOR doesn't have any apparant long-lasting appeal for me.

More than likely this.

I hate leveling alts. But I am obsessively in love with KOTOR.

I played KOTOR 1 5 times. 5. If they took everyone out of the game but me, id still pay 15 a month to play the stories.

I cant wait until LOTRO gets to Mordor so i can go back and finish playing. I got to level level 40 or something and realized it wasnt even to Moria yet. So i'm waiting it out.

I play LOTRO, and it's been past Moria for a long time :)

It's up to Orthanc, the tower of Saruman - and the next update this fall is going to introduce Rohan.

That game did a beautiful job bringing Middle Earth to life - and other games should take note on how to create an impressive video game world.

If this thread proves anything, its' that everyone has their own ideas bout what a MMORPG is and isn't :)

Massive. Online. Role-Playing Game... Your playing to your own personal nostalgic experience with the origins of this genre. Sand-box, grind... Again, the genre has and continues to move in a different direction, maintains the definition (albeit, watered down from its predecessors). I too, played those 'original' styled mmo's... Things are different now.

I play LOTRO, and it's been past Moria for a long time :)

It's up to Orthanc, the tower of Saruman - and the next update this fall is going to introduce Rohan.

That game did a beautiful job bringing Middle Earth to life - and other games should take note on how to create an impressive video game world.

I refuse to come back until Mordor is put in. No true pvp, and the game felt way to much like WoW when i played it. I was a champion i think it was called. Used a spear and an offhand sword. It was fun.

Also back in them days my computer wasnt the Tim Tebow Horse it is today.

LOTRO was a purty game those days.

Lame.. now i want to play lotro.

The max number of players in an instance is 150, and with the way this game is level gated, if there were any more than 150 in each instance there would be some serious fighting going down over quest items and quest mobs.

i was refering to guild wars when i said it's not a mmorpg.

SWtor is a mmorpg on paper, but it was designed more like a single player game with co-op option in a mmorpg enivorment. You can technically interact with hundreds of people at the same time, but you had no reason to do so in this game.

now when you mentioned the max amount of players in per instance.. anyone who played RO missed the massive player formed market places in prontera? or how people stock up potions and formed player stores to sell them in dungeons? Those were the good days.

i was refering to guild wars when i said it's not a mmorpg.

SWtor is a mmorpg on paper, but it was designed more like a single player game with co-op option in a mmorpg enivorment. You can technically interact with hundreds of people at the same time, but you had no reason to do so in this game.

now when you mentioned the max amount of players in per instance.. anyone who played RO missed the massive player formed market places in prontera? or how people stock up potions and formed player stores to sell them in dungeons? Those were the good days.

I remember 3 years ago when Bioware said they were making KOTOR 3 into an MMO that felt more like a single player game.

Why ART Thou Surprised?