Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Those calling "worst launch ever", probably never played any other mmo`s at launch

VonZimmerman

Sorry what?

Currently we are over 50 hours queued, how can you compare that to a 10 minute queue?

Never in 20 years of gaming have I waited so long after a release to get in and play.

And for those of you being ********es saying the 20th is the release, its not, the game is out now and has been for days.

I'm sorry that you must go to a server with 50 hours queue.

(no sarcasm intended, really)

Is there any way you can go with your friends to a server, that is low at the moment?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoo boy the OP really reached there didn't he?

Ultima, EQ, AC, CoH, Lineage 2, Aion, Ragnarok, Fung Wan, World of Kung Fu, Matrix Online (Hah I WORKED at Monolith), APB, WoW, Horizons, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Global Agenda, Archlord, There's a lot more in there too.

To assume people that are not happy with how the launch was handled have no experience in how launches are handled, is pretty stupid.

Though I agree with their plan, I disagree how they decided to handle it, actually I disagree with the plan too, had they done an OB stress test they'd know how many the login server could take hammering it at once and adjust accordingly, but they didn't, they never zerg tested any of their hardware in the weekend betas, they actually falsely bottlenecked the software to see if queues worked properly, and admitted it.

Yet again they're slowing down entrance to test longevity, which should have been tested beforehand, given how long the development cycle for this game is, doing things at the last minute typically is a bad idea in the software industry.

Go and kiss the feet of Bioware's develpments.

Oh my god,.. if you had seen Rift Launch then you would known what is a smooth and good launch.

By the way you will whine when at 20 dec or later at 25 dec after christmas a large number of gamers will join the game and then you will wait a long time for the queue!

No one will have to wait longer then those of us with a 4 or 5 day queue though. This is just plain stupid of bioware.

At least in Rift they allowed everyone to play... even if the queue was an hour.

I would rather wait a day or two if that means I don't have to sit around

waiting for the queue to move.

What Bioware is doing IS the better alternative, you all just have to learn to

be patient.

Let me guess, OP has access already. No suprises there then. BTW why do people keep going on about queues? OFC theres no queues the game hasnt officially launched yet. Wait til you see it on the 20th, idiot

This wins my "Post of the Week!" vote! Awesome! :D

Hoo boy the OP really reached there didn't he?

Ultima, EQ, AC, CoH, Lineage 2, Aion, Ragnarok, Fung Wan, World of Kung Fu, Matrix Online (Hah I WORKED at Monolith), APB, WoW, Horizons, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Global Agenda, Archlord, There's a lot more in there too.

To assume people that are not happy with how the launch was handled have no experience in how launches are handled, is pretty stupid.

Though I agree with their plan, I disagree how they decided to handle it, actually I disagree with the plan too, had they done an OB stress test they'd know how many the login server could take hammering it at once and adjust accordingly, but they didn't, they never zerg tested any of their hardware in the weekend betas, they actually falsely bottlenecked the software to see if queues worked properly, and admitted it.

Yet again they're slowing down entrance to test longevity, which should have been tested beforehand, given how long the development cycle for this game is, doing things at the last minute typically is a bad idea in the software industry.

Yay someone that plays as many mmos as i do. :p

But i agree, this kind of testing shouldve been done long ago and the thanks giving weekend tests shouldve been the last of it.

be patient.

Yeah cus waiting an hour in a queue is less than 2+ days of being in limbo... /sarc

We're all DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Sporin

be patient.

Actually no, Id rather wait in an hour queue, knowing that when thats up i would get to play. then have to wait for days for an email saying when i get to play.

Launch was far from good

Why?

Lack of communication, "we are inviting first wave" that tells you what? nothing now if it had a little more detail involved then all is better "we are inviting people from july26 - 27 this wave" it keeps people far more upto date whats going on. etc... all through each wave, then up till yesterday no one had an incline of what date range was involved per day, this could of been handled better, "ok we are done with invites today we have july x - aug x done tomorrow we are hoping to to get aug x - sept x invites sent all being well" and so on.

Next we have localisation EU having to wait for US staff, this in it self is a huge issue 8am = 2pm for uk 3pm+ for cet really having to wait half way through the day for anything to happen, this seriously needs to change and EU servers have to have seperate staff and seperate maintence times.

So was it a smooth start? yes. was it a good start? no far from it, smooth does not = good.

Edited by Gobrot

This launch has gone damn smooth.

Just because your not getting your SWTOR fix fast enough does not mean this launch has gone bad.

All i have to say is "Star Wars Galaxies", If you played that at launch you can only laugh at the "worst launch" comments / threads.

Not to mention, Asherons Call 2 (they actually closed the forums for a while to stop the folks from yelling that they should not release the game), Anarchy Online (so much lag it made the game unplayable except for 50 miles outside of the big cities), and others i don't remember.

Ive played AoC, Aion, Ao, Ac1, Ac2, Coh, Cov, Daoc, DA, Dcuo, D&Do, E&B, Eve, Eq1, Eq2, GW1, Lotro, Pobs, Rag, Swg, UO, Warh, and Wow, and this has been the smoothest Beta, and Launch ive ever seen in a mmo.

Most pre-orders were/are stuck in a 24-72 hour queue while people in game complained there weren't enough players for them to play grouped content.

But I will admit: it is a smooth single player game.

I agree that it is not the worst launch though.

Edited by Shadowkire

Sorry but I have been to loads of early access mmo launches and this one has been by far the worst, nothing even compares to this shambles. However if I got access on day one I would be loving it so this argument is void to everyone that already has game access.

Fan boys will be fan boys I guess.

This guy says it all. At least he admits it, like it or not.

we will see at 20th dec..

when all servers go online and all ppl start login in same time, will it be smooth enough?

Nah, the servers will go down when everyone trys to log on at once. Those of us that understand the system will be like "well i gotta wait a few hours but at least i know ill get to play now." And those who got in on day 1 of EGA will rage about queues and lag because they dont know how a real mmo launch works.

(im sorry for all you first day people that do know this, im just tired of everyone acting like its so perfect to have so many people in the longest queue ever recorded in gaming history.)

Um no it wasn't....

The worst queue I've had is in Rift on a high pop server and that was 45mins, not 3 days like this game.

well unless you played on a very low pop server then yes, it would be unplayable. you would have very big delay on everything and it would be almost impossible to find anything to kill

i remember clearly being unable to do anything in the first 1-2 weeks of wow tbc

well unless you played on a very low pop server then yes, it would be unplayable. you would have very big delay on everything and it would be almost impossible to find anything to kill

i remember clearly being unable to do anything in the first 1-2 weeks of wow tbc

For about 15mins....

At the time I played on Aman'thul server.

This launch has gone damn smooth.

Just because your not getting your SWTOR fix fast enough does not mean this launch has gone bad.

All i have to say is "Star Wars Galaxies", If you played that at launch you can only laugh at the "worst launch" comments / threads.

Not to mention, Asherons Call 2 (they actually closed the forums for a while to stop the folks from yelling that they should not release the game), Anarchy Online (so much lag it made the game unplayable except for 50 miles outside of the big cities), and others i don't remember.

Ive played AoC, Aion, Ao, Ac1, Ac2, Coh, Cov, Daoc, DA, Dcuo, D&Do, E&B, Eve, Eq1, Eq2, GW1, Lotro, Pobs, Rag, Swg, UO, Warh, and Wow, and this has been the smoothest Beta, and Launch ive ever seen in a mmo.

i have layed the most part wich you count up, and still this is the worst launch ever, 2-3 day que? none game i have been in at launch ever had that long que, longest que in history of mmo´s = worst launch ever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.