I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

If you can't understand the topic of conversation, I don't blame you for giving up.

Let me try to explain this more simply for you. You can get from Anywhere to Any taxi hub in 5-6 minutes (except Starter planets). Are you familiar with the definition of "anywhere"?

For example, that means I can get from the middle of nowhere on Alderaan to any quest hub on Tatooine to help a friend in 5-6 minutes or less.

Good for you. I'm glad you can get to any point in that time. But maybe you need to take a moment to consider who it is that doesn't understand the topic of this thread. Please show me a single point in the OP that indicates an amount of time, other than a general statement of wasted time. I see a whole lot of talk about the steps involved, but I don't see any indication of the actual time involved.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't understand the topic of conversation, I don't blame you for giving up.

Let me try to explain this more simply for you. You can get from Anywhere to Any taxi hub in 5-6 minutes (except Starter planets). Are you familiar with the definition of "anywhere"?

For example, that means I can get from the middle of nowhere on Alderaan to any quest hub on Tatooine to help a friend in 5-6 minutes or less.

Considering how long is the loading screen even on high end machines, I doubt that. And even if it was true, the process has way too many steps, and it is in itself already very prohibitive.

I don't see how your "it only takes X time", when it has more to do with the process - hint: read the title - addresses the topic at all.

E- see Armourboy and Vodalus' posts.

Edited by Ethern

I think the biggest kicker for me was that the prospect of having my own spaceship was so awesome. When my agent first got his, I was so excited. After about 5 minutes of running around it, checking out the different consoles etc I realized that all it did was let me play space missions (which I actually don't mind in small doses) and teleport to the next set of corridors to run down.

SWTORS space travel system (I find traveling around on a single planet to be just fine) is a disappointment for me not only because of what it is, but more importantly because of what it could have been. Your own spaceship, a galaxy to explore, and this is what they came up with???

-CH

I think the biggest kicker for me was that the prospect of having my own spaceship was so awesome. When my agent first got his, I was so excited. After about 5 minutes of running around it, checking out the different consoles etc I realized that all it did was let me play space missions (which I actually don't mind in small doses) and teleport to the next set of corridors to run down.

SWTORS space travel system (I find traveling around on a single planet to be just fine) is a disappointment for me not only because of what it is, but more importantly because of what it could have been. Your own spaceship, a galaxy to explore, and this is what they came up with???

-CH

ikr :S

I like the system, good for RP, even RPed in a spaceport today. Quit whining or stop playing.

MMOs. Take. Time.

I don't like the system, bad for RP with other people since it's mostly instances, even didn't RP in spaceport today. Quit telling others what to do or what to post. This. Is. Not. A. Matter. Of. The. Time. Involved.

I like the system, good for RP, even RPed in a spaceport today. Quit whining or stop playing.

MMOs. Take. Time.

they could have at least made variation in textures or layouts of spaceports hangars and all that , to make it seem less repetitive (or do spaceports all look the same in SW galaxy?)

but i know another ... Bioware made it so its cool guy ... we feel for you dude

lol

Welcome to the 21st century, where everybody is in a hurry and in a race to go from point A to point B.

It's like that one commercial that has the advertisement with the song that says "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now."

Yeah, the spoiled kiddies of today with there TV dinners and microwave ovens. With the attention span of about 2 minutes.

Oh you don't want to waste time traveling anywhere? Go play your first person shooters.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edited by Forceconduit

As I've lvl'd up some more I now see why this thread is so long.

The traveling in this game is horrible. I want to help a friend on a quest on another planet but it will take 5 mins or more to get there? Completely unacceptable for an mmo.

You know how they can have a Shuttle bring you back to life virtually anywhere in this game? Why can't they do that for travelling but just restrict it so you have to be in open safe? Your companion can easily pilot the ship to your location, pick you up and bam. It would make travelling a lot faster, you don't even need a little cinematic for it just let it go straight to the loading screen.

...so what?

It's not a matter of time. It's a matter of tedium. In a game like World of Warcraft, you click on a compound flight path and go AFK for 10 minutes. In a game like The Old Republic, you click a doorway, run down a hall, click a doorway, run down a hall. If travel times are going to be non-negligible, the mere power to do *other things* is infinitely preferable to running down a hall, clicking, running, clicking, etc, etc, ad nauseam. Interactive tedium is tedium squared.

Edited by Thug-Ra

the solution is simple: Go play a fps. You obviously have no interest in the immersion the travel system provides, which is important to those of us who actually care about rp elements in the game.

Is whatever you're doing so tremendously important that you cant take the time to use your ship and need to insta port all over the universe in a completely unrealistic way?

I just don't get why people who are only concerned with completing tasks as fast as possible like little robots even play mmoprgs to begin with.

agree!

true but usually time is wasted by a longer leveling curve and/or side-activities like crafting.

w-w-what?

Have time be wasted on gameplay/combat and fun?

WHY? You can have JUST as much fun watching your guy move to the next area!!!

Edited by sjwho

I enjoy realism as much as the next guy, but if we're really travelling between planets it probably takes light years. Are you really going to sit at your computer for the next 3000 years waiting to arrive on the next planet? No, of course not.

If given the option to fast-travel between planets or do the whole orbital station/airlock/hangar crap, which are you going to choose? I don't think anyone actually 'likes' it, they just tolerate it because they have to.

light years is a measure of distance, not time. A light year is the distance light travels in one year. :D

Welcome to the 21st century, where everybody is in a hurry and in a race to go from point A to point B.

It's like that one commercial that has the advertisement with the song that says "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now."

Yeah, the spoiled kiddies of today with there TV dinners and microwave ovens. With the attention span of about 2 minutes.

Oh you don't want to waste time traveling anywhere? Go play your first person shooters.

If you are not going to bother reading the entire conversation before posting, please at least take to the time to read and comprehend the point of the OP. Here's a quick hint: it has nothing to do with "time" or "hurry", it has everything to do with the number of tedious steps.

Not gonna lie, only read the first page, no way I'm reading 26 more pages of that whining and crying.

I mean....really? We're CRYING over the fact that it takes 2-3 MINUTES to travel between PLANETS?

Also, seriously, there's ONE big loading screen for the planet, the orbital/airlock screen just fades in and out.

Why are there so many ignorant people like you and others who are against this and stereotype people into being kiddies and such? If you want this game to succeed I would suggest you refrain from posting like this and just putting people off. I don't understand why people feel the need to want to have people leave a game they enjoy, you should want to keep everyone (complainers or elitists) since they have the potential to bring more people to the game and help it grow.

OT: I am sorry but no matter how you look at it WoW is the most successful MMO there is and SWTOR isn't near it HOWEVER it has the potential to become just as great if not better. However there are things like this which need to be addressed, Bioware is much better catering to what the majority want. They can never make everyone happy but make most people happy and this is one of the issues that can make a lot more people happy than upset. Players are not asking to have ability to go to any spot in this game such as a cave in Hoth but they are just asking to avoid unnecessary loading screens. I recall in a certain movie a jedi was fighting a Sith and during combat he force jumped onto a ship that then left the planet (Episode 1, Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn).

If you could have an option to have your ship come to you (if you are open space, being in a building or cave is a no go) that would be great, even if you had to wait a minute for it come (the waiting would make it more realistic for certain people I guess).