The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An Epiphany: Voice Acted content.

Mackuss

ToR gives the ILLUSION of choice, nothing more.

So deciding to save/kill someone is not a choice? Deciding to pursue romance or stick to the jedi code? It affects the outcome the same as a choose-your-own adventure would, and opens up different progression paths. Didn't we all just hold a page or dog-ear it to go back if we didn't like the outcomes? Maybe that was just me... You never truly had to live with your choices in a choose-your-own adventure unless you stuck to rules, but in SWTOR you can't go back and change the choices you make.

EDIT: Also, choose-your-own adventures do not represent the vast majority of concrete stories within books void of choices in regard to story arcs.

Edited by lucasomega

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So deciding to save/kill someone is not a choice? Deciding to pursue romance or stick to the jedi code? It affects the outcome the same as a choose-your-own adventure would, and opens up different progression paths. Didn't we all just hold a page or dog-ear it to go back if we didn't like the outcomes? Maybe that was just me... You never truly had to live with your choices in a choose-your-own adventure unless you stuck to rules, but in SWTOR you can't go back and change the choices you make.

EDIT: Also, choose-your-own adventures do not represent the vast majority of concrete stories within books void of choices in regard to story arcs.

I wouldnt even bother replying to Zorvan. He is one of those things that lives under a bridge.

It's completely and utterly useless.

What I came to realize is that, it takes the same amount of time, if not SHORTER, (so the attention span argument is invalid) to just read quests instead of hearing a voice actor painfully say it slower than I can read (and in nowhere near as awesome of a voice that I hear in my head. You know, the one that my creativity gave the NPC). And, even on a personal note, it's kind of pathetic that the majority of society isn't interested in something just because they have to read.

Not to mention, at some point, most people turn subtitles on anyway to read, then space bar before the voice actor has finished the sentence.

Side rant:

I know there is a growing majority of people who do not have full use of their mental faculties (I do not mean this in a mean way), one of which being creativity. It reminds me of the case of the child who, before he was exposed to lots of artist's depictions of birds, was asked to draw a bird, and subsequently drew a rather creative bird for a kid. Then, when he was exposed to other people's renditions of birds (i.e. force fed content and have other people's creativity affect his consciousness), he drew very boring "normal" birds. Being force fed such a specific aspect of content in such a big way kind of kills it for me. Though this is just personal and in no way affects my over all post.

GREAT post here, found in thread:

Agreed, Bioware needs to offer an option to disable voice overs for side quests because it is absolutely tedious, when i first started playing the game i was in love with it but that quickly wore off, now i see the idea for what it really is, the opposite of a good idea.

The problem isn't just that it gets repetitive and old, but that it costs Bioware a good deal of money that could instead go towards developing more end game content and new features.

Edited by PeacefulViolence

I don't know. An eighteen page thread like this seems like the equivalent of saying: "Fire is hot," after you've already burned yourself. It might have made for an engaging debate before the game was released, but now the game *is* released, you're playing it, it's on your machine, what is the point of talking about the feature now? You either listen to the dialogue, or you spacebar through it. What can possibly be added to that? Are you going to stop playing the game? Okay. Are you going to continue playing the game? Okay. So. What now?

I don't know. An eighteen page thread like this seems like the equivalent of saying: "Fire is hot," after you've already burned yourself. It might have made for an engaging debate before the game was released, but now the game *is* released, you're playing it, it's on your machine, what is the point of talking about the feature now? You either listen to the dialogue, or you spacebar through it. What can possibly be added to that? Are you going to stop playing the game? Okay. Are you going to continue playing the game? Okay. So. What now?

Not paying for it anymore. No way am I going to pay to play a game that's nowhere near finished, as well as false advertising (hi res textures).

Yes, let's drop the only feature that really puts this game ahead of other MMOs.

Great idea.

It's funny that you're accusing other people of lacking mental faculties, yet it's taken you this long to discover that you can read subtitles faster than they can be said. /applaud

Edited by Aurojiin

Another person with their opinion that thinks it represents the masses. I stopped reading after "Voice acting is useless".

Immersion is the main reason I play MMO, or MMORPG. You probably go look up RPG and read what it means. Some of us like to enjoy RPG elements. In fact I think it is pretty pathetic companies don't use Voice Acting in all video games, should be a standard by now.

its called boring as hell.

its repetative, and who wants to spend 10mins handing in a quest? There is no real choice or impact of the voice acting, its just a time sink. Its ok for class quests, but I'm damm not listening to the side quests which disguise boring kill X collect X quests and are the same for every damm character.

And if they weren't VO'd you would complain they were the exact same thing we've been doing in MMO's for ages, why didn't Bioware try to change questing at all.