Building new pc for swtor advice?

NumbHead

Hey I'm building a good pc for swtor that can run good quality and fps... So how much is a good computer that can run like high settings be... I just got 750$ from newegg but I'm a noob so I don't know what gpu and CPU and mother board to get ... I already have monitor keyboard and mouse speakers.

http://www.tomshardware.com will tell you everything you need to know about selecting proper components based on your budget.

I found my computer I built in 2009 to be decently lacking when I started playing TOR, I upgraded the video card to a 6790 and got 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 8 and now TOR runs flawlessly so you really don't need cutting edge.

Edited by SeteshXLII

Well, people are claiming this game needs 8gb of ram, but don't listen to them, it's BS. 4gb will do, I have 4gb and this game only uses about 1.5gb of my ram. For a CPU I would suggest getting a I5 CPU and a Nvidia GTX 570ti 2gb for the GPU. Then get like 650 wattage PSU, a decent motherboard that is compatable, and a case that has enough ports. That should run you about 750 with great peformance. Edited by BOLTgamer

I second visiting the Tom's Hardware website. I built my first PC last summer and the site was invaluable to me in the process my components.

Here is their most recent (last month) article about a $600 gaming PC that will give you a good idea of what you're looking to get. You can go a bit above this since you are working with a higher budget:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

Good luck!

Edited by Cyclonus

Definitely use 7, if you are running with XP you wont be able to utilize more than 3 gig of ram anyway. If you have Vista then don't worry about it, the software purchase would take a huge bite out of your budget. Edited by SeteshXLII

What about win 7

As in is it a good operating system to run SWTOR off of? It works great for me. I also like Win 7 as when it comes to other normal computer use (non-game stuff).

I recommend getting Win 7 64bit (as opposed to 32bit) as with the 64bit version you can use up to 16gb of ram if your motherboard allows it. Not really necessary now but it leaves you room to upgrade in the future.

Edited by Cyclonus

Whatever you do, don't skimp on your CPU -- this game is a CPU hog. Don't bother considering a dual core; go with a quad core, as it will allow the game plenty of space on two of the cores, and your system and any other programs (like TS, Vent etc.) space on the other two.

You can't go wrong with an i5 2500k, but an AMD Phenom II 980 will do nicely and is easier to fit in a budget (just don't use the stock cooler, get something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 to keep things very cool without a lot of noise).

Edited by DerRotMax

I wouldn't recommend building a computer to better play SWTOR. It's probably not even your computer now that's the problem. You say you want better FPS so let me just say something about that... My laptop is build at twice the performance as this game and I still have bad FPS from time to time. Like now, I haven't played for a day cause it's just too laggy. Maybe you want a new computer anyways but don't think the one you have now is bad cause FPS here is low..... It is horrible for a lot of us, just read around.

Definitely use 7, if you are running with XP you wont be able to utilize more than 3 gig of ram anyway.

Not true. If you can use more than 3.5 GB of memory depends on if you got the 64 bit version or not. There is a 64 bit Windows XP.

That said, if you got the option you should still get Windows 7. There are countless of improvements.

So I'll get gtx and everything but will I have to buy win 7 100$?

If you want to utilize more than 3 gigs of ram then yes you will have to buy a better OS than XP. XP doesn't recognize more than 3 gigs of ram, even if you put 16 in it wouldn't see or use anything beyond the 3.

I would also point out that the Radeon cards are better performance per dollar spent than the nvidia cards, the 6790 I got was $110. Double size type with the 2 coolers, takes up 2 slots.

So I'll get gtx and everything but will I have to buy win 7 100$?

It is not worth it to upgrade to Win 7 just for SWTOR, the game will probably run exactly the same. But it will give a much better overall experience with your computer.

- Get one of the cheaper i5 processors as quad core is a must

- Get at least 4 gigs of ram. 8 is good for overall performance but will not make much difference in the game.

- Get as good a graphics cad as you can afford. Minimum is should be Radeon HD 6870 or equivalent.

- An SSD drive is super nice to have and I love mine, but for pure gaming performance they are not worth the money on a budget rig.

- If you are not going for two high end graphics cards (you should not) there is no reason at all to buy a super powerful PSU. That is an old wives tale from the time of the Pentium 4.

- As others have said, Toms Hardware is a good starting place and especially this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

If you want to utilize more than 3 gigs of ram then yes you will have to buy a better OS than XP. XP doesn't recognize more than 3 gigs of ram, even if you put 16 in it wouldn't see or use anything beyond the 3.

False. It has nothing do with XP vs. 7 but 32 bit vs. 64 bit. XP exists in 64 bit versions. And you can get a maximum of 3.5 GB on 32 bit.

The OP should examine his version of XP. And if the plan is to buy 4 GB there will minimal gain from a new 64 bit Win 7 as programs take a bit more memory space on 64 bit.

He can always get Win 7 when he upgrades to 8 GB or just got some spare cash (as it is a great OS).

Edited by Jalden

I wouldn't recommend building a computer to better play SWTOR. It's probably not even your computer now that's the problem. You say you want better FPS so let me just say something about that... My laptop is build at twice the performance as this game and I still have bad FPS from time to time. Like now, I haven't played for a day cause it's just too laggy. Maybe you want a new computer anyways but don't think the one you have now is bad cause FPS here is low..... It is horrible for a lot of us, just read around.

Your laptop is twice the performance of the game? That makes no sense. And even modern gaming laptops are most often not that powerful due to the power and heat constraints.

As for how much of a difference a new computer will make, it all depends on what the OP currently own. You *may* get performance problems on a powerful computer, but if the hardware is too weak you *will* have them.

Edited by Jalden

Well, people are claiming this game needs 8gb of ram, but don't listen to them, it's BS. 4gb will do

No this is BS building a new system with only 4 gigs is a bit dumb with the current price difference between 4 and 8 gigs, I had 4 gigs when this game came out and was often running out after playing an hour or so and had to tab out to close things, my gaming computer has Win 7 64 and is used for just gaming 95% of the time so the install is quite clean without much bloat to hog system resources.

Since I upgraded to 8 gig I often find my total memory usage while playing the game with a few things running in the background (browser with a few tabs open, skype etc) is about 4.5 gig, if I used the computer as my day to day computer I would imagine the memory usage would be over 5gigs while playing.