The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I had a bad time tanking a Taris Heroic last night - Advice?

AwefulWaffle

The Heroic, on Taris, was called "The Fathers of Taris" or something like that. I was 33, with the quest being labled a level 34 quest.

I'm obviously a shield tech Bounty Hunter, and I've never had trouble "tanking" before. I've run every flashpoint so far multiple times, and a few Heroics, too. I have all of my survivability traits/talents/skills and I have about a 45% damage reduction along with a 24% shield chance (Just got access to Empowered Tech to boost shield chance) and a 30% or so Absorption rating.

We wiped hard multiple times, but eventually trucked through it. Here were the problems:

- Waves of mobs including 4 Silvers/2~3 Golds at a time.

- Golds don't come down until AFTER you pull, meaning only OOC CC we could use (And we only had 2 OOC CCs) was on the Silver mobs.

- I would pop my defensives/Oil Slick/Sonic Missile and proceed to pull mobs off of people. I couldn't use Death from Above nor my other AoE damagers for fear of breaking CC. So I spent a lot of time pulling individual mobs off of people.

- After doing all of the above I would look down and be almost dead. The healer could keep me up for a short while (Operative healing, I'll put the party comp down below) but the DPSes were getting damaged too.

- DPS would be on separate mobs, sometimes on Golds before silvers. I witnessed while dead one DPS attacking a gold with 20% health, while the other DPS next to him was attacking a Gold with over 80% health.

The good news is I was always the first one to die. That generally means to me I had the most attention of the mobs.

The bad news is I died. Every pull pretty much. I couldn't keep tabs on what the healer was doing, but she also had to heal the DPSes who weren't getting ROCKED, but were still taking damage.

No icons were used, which I thought was silly. But the healer and one DPS were in the same guild so they kept track of who to CC.

The party Composition:

Powertech Tank (Me)

Operative Healer

Mercenary DPS

Juggernaut DPS

I'm honestly depressed. After doing so good in flashpoints, this Heroic kind of shocked me. FPs tend to throw trash, 1 or 2 silvers, and a gold or two. It's really not hard. But this one was a full company of silvers and golds.

Where do things sound like they went wrong? Not focus firing the silvers was obviously a problem, but I doubt I would have stayed alive the entirety of each pull if we did, considering how many blaster bolts I was taking.

Also, the boss went swimmingly. Held threat the entire time and wasn't ever close to dying.

Is the Fathers of Taris Heroic just a pain in the ***? Or will flashpoints/heroics be like that from now on?

I don't have experience tanking at your level, but I can try and offer some advice. From what I've been hearing, and it seems to be true, the Tank needs to only focus on Elite and Champion mobs. The exception being any other mob that happens to hit hard. Strong and below enemies can be handled by the two DPS and should only need minor healing.

If the Elite enemies arrive later, save your CC for them and get a head start on Strong and below mobs. It may be a good idea to have one DPS "tank" the third Elite, should it be present. You can either focus down Strong, Normal and Weak enemies down first, or go in the opposite direction and focus all DPS on Elite and Champion mobs to kill them first.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not your strategy when tanking is to have every mob focus on you. If that is how you're doing things, you should change to only holding Elite and Champion mobs. While healing as a Commando in Hammer Station earlier, I noticed it became easier to heal the group when they followed that tanking paradigm.

I don't have experience tanking at your level, but I can try and offer some advice. From what I've been hearing, and it seems to be true, the Tank needs to only focus on Elite and Champion mobs. The exception being any other mob that happens to hit hard. Strong and below enemies can be handled by the two DPS and should only need minor healing.

If the Elite enemies arrive later, save your CC for them and get a head start on Strong and below mobs. It may be a good idea to have one DPS "tank" the third Elite, should it be present. You can either focus down Strong, Normal and Weak enemies down first, or go in the opposite direction and focus all DPS on Elite and Champion mobs to kill them first.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not your strategy when tanking is to have every mob focus on you. If that is how you're doing things, you should change to only holding Elite and Champion mobs. While healing as a Commando in Hammer Station earlier, I noticed it became easier to heal the group when they followed that tanking paradigm.

Thanks for the reply! And sorry for the wall of text.

And actually what you said is what I'm hearing from other people too - DPS aren't really "squishy" in this game. They can handle the trash and strong mobs.

So yah, maybe I did try too hard to have EVERYTHING on me.

My 2 cents?

I wouldn't over-analyze that.

That specific heroic's difficulty is WAY to high for the recommended level. Went there with a 39 Juggernaut tank. We wiped 3 times.

Glad to know I wasn't the only who thought that thing was overly difficult. I'm not averse to difficulty or anything, I just wasn't expecting more elites than a flashpoint throws at you.

Glad to know I wasn't the only who thought that thing was overly difficult. I'm not averse to difficulty or anything, I just wasn't expecting more elites than a flashpoint throws at you.

Lol, yeah it's not just you. We went to all of the heroics after Father's of Taris, some with a challenge, and managed to complete each one faster than it took to complete FoT.

DPS do seem to be a lot less squishy in this game then in others which can influence how you tank.

My first reaction to your story is bad dps. It sounds like you had a lot of split damage and your healer was struggling to heal the correct targets without losing anyone.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. You may have been trying to hard to get every mob on you but I dont think that that was the cause of your deaths. If your dps isn't going to focus its damage the fight is going to go on to long and a healer will have to pay attention to multiple people, which splits his/her attention and causes more room for error.

Buy a laser pointer from the social vendor for 500 credits and mark first target. I know when I pull, my first target may not be the first target to burn down. I was having a similar issue with dps attacking different targets until I realized that one was attacking the mob I darted and one was attacking the gold I was building threat on. With the pointer, I know where the damage is going to fly and the dps knows who I'm focusing on. After the first mob, enough threat is there and it doesn't matter so much as to who is attacking who.

Fathers of Taris....well, quiete hard mission.

We did it with 3 lvl 34-36 and one lvl 50 sniper...and it still was hard since nobody was specced as a healer.

The respawn timers are insane....way too fast :(

Edited by BobaFurz