This game needs an "import profile" option

SilverScreemer

I just started a new character.

I found that all the settings were the default settings. That's fine, I have no problems with that...

What I do have a problem with is a lack of "import profile" feature. I want a list, with all my characters on it. Click the character name, and bam, all the settings are set up.

I don't feel like remapping controls, and just hoping I get everything set up the same way.

C'mon Bioware this isn't hard. Import Profile. Do it, quickly. In a game that relies heavily on starting alts, this is something that must be there.

I just started a new character.

I found that all the settings were the default settings. That's fine, I have no problems with that...

What I do have a problem with is a lack of "import profile" feature. I want a list, with all my characters on it. Click the character name, and bam, all the settings are set up.

I don't feel like remapping controls, and just hoping I get everything set up the same way.

C'mon Bioware this isn't hard. Import Profile. Do it, quickly. In a game that relies heavily on starting alts, this is something that must be there.

Agreed. Or at least a way to assign key binds faster. Like mouse over assignment.

I agree.

Rift has it.

AoC has it.

STO has it.

WoW too I think.

I hate starting new characters because all the keybinds are stock.

Just making them account wide would be awesome.

WoW doesn't. It is the same keybdins for each character, unless you check the box to make the keybinds for that character only.

WoW doesn't. It is the same keybdins for each character, unless you check the box to make the keybinds for that character only.

I use I think it was xPerl, or bartender. Yeah, I put an add on on WoW to handle it, and resize and move my bars and everything all nice.

Edited by SilverScreemer

I use I think it was xPerl, or... whatever the other bar mod was. I can't remember. Oh well but yeah, I put an add on on WoW to handle it, and resize and move my bars and everything all nice.

Yeah I used Bartender. Carries keybinds over and lets you assign hotkeys with mouseovers.

Rift undoubtedly has the best system I've seen for this. I implore bioware to shamelessly copy it when they release their ui customization.

Rift allows you to import Any number of selected settings from character to another.

Keybinds

Friends

Layout

And a few others, it really is an excellent system.

WoW lets you set a set of "default" keybinds. So you set those up, THEN you check the "unique keybinds" checkbox when you make character-specific changes. From then on, all new characters will use the "default" keybinds you specified. You can change those keybinds by making a new character. It's not ideal, but it's way better than having to set them up again every single time.

WoW also lets me use addons for my UI, especially the action bars. Since those are made by the users, every serious UI addon has a "profiles" section. Because the users want those.

Meaning after I've set up my UI once, I won't have to set it up for other characters anymore. I just import the settings. Oh, and nowadays, they keep the settings through patches, too. So no more mess on screen after a patch/expansion and new versions of addons.

But it's not just keybinds, although they are the biggest part. Any change you make to the preferences has to be done again and again for every character. The same goes for chat windows. Now, assuming that, at some point, they'll fix the bug where your chat windows reset when you're creating alts, it would still take me about 5 minutes to set the keybinds, preferences and chat windows up. Those 5 minutes start adding up.

I would like to, at some point, play through all the classes' storylines. They are, to me, the biggest strength of this game. So that means a lot of alts.

It's happened in the past that I made a character, played a few levels, then realized I'd rather have him on another server, because I want to do different things with him, or play with friends I know over there. So that means more alts.

I also like to RP and so sometimes I have to go and "try out" a character. Do I like the looks with the voice? Does the skin color look weird ingame? Does the hair do weird stuff when I move? How does he/she look when zoomed out? So I end up redoing characters a lot. By now, I think I've created about 20-30 characters in total and set up preferences, keybinds and chat windows for almost all of them. I don't even want to THINK about how often I've had to set up the chat window settings on my characters because the game simply reverted them to "standard".

I would very, very, very much appreciate a profiles function. :)