I'm Just Curious About The Feature of This Game.

Draeb

This is definitely not a troll post.

I really enjoy this game and I'll be with this game at least for a year. I'm already becoming an alt-aholic which is a great sign. I've played almost all the classes to at least lvl 30. I'll make a post on which one is m favorite once I reach to lvl 50. Anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

This game is so awesome in terms of dialogue that I'm just curious, since this game had one of the biggest budgets because of the voice acting, what will happen when they start expanding? They couldn't possibly recycle the actors dialogue, so that means an even bigger budget.

Anyway, it was just a thought and I just wanted to throw this out there for a discussion. Please no trolls and no flaming. Just an open discussion with hearty opinions from lovely people. Or is it a lovely discussion with hearty people? :D

The way I'm seeing it, they already have all their pre-canned animations to fit just about any dialogue sequence, and the initial budget covered the level 1-50 story for all classes, hence its budget size.

Future expansions will probably only span 10 levels, allowing for smaller additions to the story and smaller budgets. Honestly, if TV shows can pump out episodes week after week I don't see an issue getting voice acting and episode stories written out for 8 classes every quarter or so.

That's actually a question that's on the minds of many people OP. It's a fair question. The good news is this; apparently, the entire team that was responsible for making this game wasn't broken up after the release, they where all kept together and are currently working on the future content. This makes any future content we see much more likely to feel similar in tone and quality.

Keeping a team together after release is very unorthadox in the MMO development world, and im not entirely sure people have dialed in to how important that really is yet.

Edited by Brickabrack

The way I'm seeing it, they already have all their pre-canned animations to fit just about any dialogue sequence, and the initial budget covered the level 1-50 story for all classes, hence its budget size.

Future expansions will probably only span 10 levels, allowing for smaller additions to the story and smaller budgets. Honestly, if TV shows can pump out episodes week after week I don't see an issue getting voice acting and episode stories written out for 8 classes every quarter or so.

Good points. It would be interesting to see if they do a lvl cap increase anytime soon.

I wonder if they'll be light on the voice acting and heavy on implementing more content in terms of crafting and the community. Maybe more speeders, or mounts, spacecraft etc...

That's actually a question that's on the minds of many people OP. It's a fair question. The good news is this; apparently, the entire team that was responsible for making this game wasn't broken up after the release, they where all kept together and are currently working on the future content. This makes any future content we see much more likely to feel similar in tone and quality.

Keeping a team together after release is very unorthadox in the MMO development world, and im not entirely sure people have dialed in to how important that really is yet.

Oh wow, I didn't realize they did that. That's great news!

has anyone seen a budget breakdown of swtor. like where each and every dime went and what it was spent on. because I havent but im assuming alot of people has since they keep mentioning that the voice acting is what made this game cost so much. i think people are assuming the voice acting cost 150 million dollars so they had to cut other features for it. voice acting was probably a very small portion of that budget.

not really directed specifically at you op, im just curious why everyone mentions voice acting and how much it costs every time they bring the cost of the game up. it just made me wonder if the released a detailed budget for this game or not, because i would be interested in seeing it if they have.

has anyone seen a budget breakdown of swtor. like where each and every dime went and what it was spent on. because I havent but im assuming alot of people has since they keep mentioning that the voice acting is what made this game cost so much. i think people are assuming the voice acting cost 150 million dollars so they had to cut other features for it. voice acting was probably a very small portion of that budget.

not really directed specifically at you op, im just curious why everyone mentions voice acting and how much it costs every time they bring the cost of the game up. it just made me wonder if the released a detailed budget for this game or not, because i would be interested in seeing it if they have.

Hmm, I've come across listings for VO work for $300-$1000 for only a few hours of work and that's only non-union work which is small scale stuff compared to VO work for features animations/narration) or video games.

There's no listing on how much the famous guys make like Nolan North but I've read somewhere that most known VO actors get paid per line plus the back-end residuals depending on how much is actually being used and for how long.

I have a friend actor that has done a Superbowl commercial and some other primetime stuff and he gets paid pretty nicely just from the residuals alone. Now he's Union so he's protected and easily makes a living.

So I can take a pretty good guess that most of these main actors are between 200k-500k range that encompasses the entire game as it is currently. Maybe even a million for actors like Nolan North.

But yeah, it is just speculating. Whatever they get paid I know it's not cheap for the main actors. Considering there aren't that many predominant characters in this game, they might be able to save a buck or two from having them return for additional content.

Ok, I'm finished now speaking out my butt. :D

They have also mentioned already that they have already recorded stuff for future content. I think they have a very large lead time on content production.

That would make a lot of sense. Would you by any chance remember where you heard or read that?

That would make a lot of sense. Would you by any chance remember where you heard or read that?

There are videos of James Ohlen where he says they have already started developing things planned for release in 2013. And that the content patches we'll see by March have been in development for many months already.

Edited by NaimiIflya

This is definitely not a troll post.

I really enjoy this game and I'll be with this game at least for a year. I'm already becoming an alt-aholic which is a great sign. I've played almost all the classes to at least lvl 30. I'll make a post on which one is m favorite once I reach to lvl 50. Anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

This game is so awesome in terms of dialogue that I'm just curious, since this game had one of the biggest budgets because of the voice acting, what will happen when they start expanding? They couldn't possibly recycle the actors dialogue, so that means an even bigger budget.

Anyway, it was just a thought and I just wanted to throw this out there for a discussion. Please no trolls and no flaming. Just an open discussion with hearty opinions from lovely people. Or is it a lovely discussion with hearty people? :D

many of the VA's are still on the payroll for future acting bits and parts so will continue to expand the game and VA will be part of it.

There are videos of James Ohlen where he says they have already started developing things planned for release in 2013. And that the content patches we'll see by March have been in development for many months already.

That's amazing. Even though I have my concerns with EA, IMO there's no two companies that can fund this MMO better than the ones who are funding it now. The Star Wars universe has enough pull to keep this game going strong for a long while.

I'm still amazed at how long SWG lasted even after all the big changes. These are all great signs.

many of the VA's are still on the payroll for future acting bits and parts so will continue to expand the game and VA will be part of it.

By any chance is this Lokai from the DCUO boards?

How things turn out will be interesting since this game is in a lot of ways a Mass Effect MMO.