Defensive Roll or Focused Leap for PvE and PvP

mattnaik

I am a 45 watchman and fast approaching 50. I'd like to have a nice balanced spec for PvE and PvP. The only thing I am trying to decide between is my last 2 points. I can't decide if I want to put it in Focused Leap or Defensive Roll.

Here is my spec with the final 2 points in Focused Leap:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMcGzZhMbZh.1

The third option is to remove Insight from the Focus tree which I am kind of a critical fiend so is my least favorite option. Doing this will free up 3 points. I put 2 in Defensive Roll and then I'm stuck with a stray point. No idea where to put a single point (1 into Insight maybe?)

Thoughts?

I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago, except I had a 3rd option: Master Focus, to reduce the cooldown on Force Stasis by 10 seconds. (Disclaimer: I don't care or know about PvP, this is PvE only.)

I've spent most of my time at 50 with the points in Focused Leap, and I like that. A couple of days ago I re-specced and put the points in Defensive Roll. I haven't come to any conclusion yet, but at least for running my dailies, I haven't missed the extra focus. I'll need to do some HMs and Ops to really decide.

It may be one of those cases where once you know the fights and know where to stand at all times and can really optimize, the extra focus allows you to do more damage, but while the content is still new to you you're better off with the damage reduction, since nothing reduces your DPS as much as being dead. :)

The reduced cooldown on Force Stasis seems pretty sexy to me, it's an interrupt that I use a lot and it also builds focus, so over the course of a fight it might give you as much or more focus as Focused Leap. OTOH bosses are immune, so once you get to the point where everything but the boss is a cake walk, it's not really helping.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRdfGzZRMb.1

just use that spec for everything from pve to pvp

I don't agree with this spec, it's more towards PvP when you can take a better PvE based spec. Losing OH damage and 3% accuracy.

Here's the spec I use for both PvE and PvP as I said before. I take force camo talented as it really helps in HM OPs I've found. http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fefef2efef11e2fe3fe3fe4fe3f20:

Edited by AeetesSixFive

I don't agree with this spec, it's more towards PvP when you can take a better PvE based spec. Losing OH damage and 3% accuracy.

Here's the spec I use for both PvE and PvP as I said before. I take force camo talented as it really helps in HM OPs I've found. http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fefef2efef11e2fe3fe3fe4fe3f20:

the spec is for both pve and pvp, this game doesnt require for you to maximize. i mean the enrage timers on bosses are a joke. the offhand damage bonus is minimal, not have crusader for pvp is terrible, defensive rolls is useless unless you want to get into the habit of sucking and actually getting hit by encounter abilities, the hit talent is almost pointless unless your focus is ONLY pve.

focused pursuit and crusader > dw mastery, steadfast and defensive rolls

I had the very same dilema last night.

My spec (for PvP), i have force fade, like the others say, great for PvP, it is basically another and much better version of Guarded by the force. I have 32 points in Watchman, so only the 5m force leap, you got plenty of stuff to do from melee range, you really dont need 0 range force leap imo.

I swapped Insight for Master Focus, because force stasis is good. As an interupt, it is good, it is also good for those chaotic situations, you can just pin that jumping/sprinting/spamming erm, enemy, down. Also, quite effective, say against healers is to dot them with OS and Cauterise, then Force Stasis them, then as it ends, spam any relics/stimpacks and hit merciless strike. 50% to 0% and nothing they can do about it (often). Finally you do notice the extra 10 seconds CD, bigtime in PvP.

BTW what exactly are your force DPS moves, I think only force sweep, so ...that is what sealed that deal for me.

Plus I do use master strike in PvP.

Anyway back on topic, I went with the extra focus on leap, I am going to try observe the AE dmg I take closely, I may swap it back lol. (Useless reply!) I just felt that in most situations you are 1 v 1/2/3 :p AE don't really come into it, I asked my trooper brother do you often use your AEs, the answer was not usually, sure when the opportunity presents itself. Plus I imagine AEs don't hit as much as singles (dont mention focus specs..), plus in those crazy AE situations you can easily force fade :p away. But then all classes can AE, even us occasionally and for some it is their main move (you can mention focus sents/guards now :p), so 30% defence on AE attrition might be good...

Plus often that extra focus is at the start of a fight, so is actually worth more than a focus! You can get MS out that much sooner etc.

Edited by Outlawe

• 2 months later...