Commando Level 50 DPS Operations

Frostybeer

When I created my character I intended to become an end-game healer, but somewhere around level 32 I switched to the Gunnery Spec and did more PvP and leveled much quicker. I really enjoyed the switch, now it looks like I will be dps in my Guilds Operation Group.

I dinged 50 2 days ago and did my 1st Operation Eternity Vault Last night. It was amazing and I was very lucky to get three epic drops!

I would appreciate any advice that a level 50 commando DPSer could give me to continue to remain along the correct route.

My stats are (unbuffed only my 5% Fortification)

3/36/2 Build (will try to post then link my build later)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000cZrIkrRrdRkszZb.1

Hitpoints 13211

Endurance 1071

Str 32

Presence 225

Aim 1105

Cunning 100

Willpower 50

Expertise 140

RANGED

Ranged (Pri): 5127-7297

Bonus Dmg: 259.7

Accuracy: 95.16%

Crit Chance: 31.69%

Crit Multiplier: 62.77%

TECH

Bonus DMG: 529.9

Bonus Healing: 368.3

Accuracy: 105.16%

Crit Chance: 32.5% (374 crit rating)

Crit Multiplier: 62.77% (73 Surge)

Activation speed: 9.94% (179 Alacrity)

Please feel free to point me in the right direction on what I need to stack.

Thanks!

Edited by Frostybeer

3/36/2 Build (will try to post then link my build later)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000cZrIkrRrdRkszZb.1

Please feel free to point me in the right direction on what I need to stack.

Thanks!

Do you PvP at all?

If you don't, those points in concussive force aren't doing you any good in OPs. If you are, then nevermind.

Take those 2 points out of Heavy Stock, and put them in Target Lock.

Take two points out of advance tech, and put 1 Target Lock. Place other in Cell Capacitor. Take 2 out of Heavy Trooper. Put 1 in Cell Capacitor, and 1 in Reserve Round

Don't worry about making heals heal you more, or bumping up your endurance. Most damage is avoidable, and you have a shield for when it isn't--and your endgame gear stacks high amounts of endurance. I'm at 16.5k hp unbuffed.

I've cleared a large amount of endgame content, but I also PvP, so this is what I go with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZMIkbRrdRkfzZc.1

Everything is subjective but this is my opinion based on maximizing PVE DPS.

Skills: 2 points out of advanced tech, allocate only 2 points between concussive force, tenacious defense, and cover fire (either 2/0/0, or 1/1/0 depending on how you like those skills, they don't have a huge amount of value for PVE).

Put 3 points in target lock, another in reserve round, and 2 points in cell charger (if you feel inclined move 2 points from weapon calibration to field training...with your crit chance it will pretty much be a 1% increase in alacrity since it is always up).

Gear: More surge, little more accuracy (I like to have ranged at a little over 100%). Probably don't need that much crit or alacrity.

Edited by JLapp

There is my current build. Anything defensive at all is mostly subjective and you can decide whether parallactic combat stims or cell capacitor is worth more to you but I honestly think that after getting demo round and 3/3 field training that 3/3 Target Lock is kind of a must. Even with tech attacks like demo round and grav round (I THINK those are tech attacks anyway) more accuracy cuts into enemy resistance.

As for your status, I've only got 2 pieces of columni gear, but you'll definitely want to do dailies on Ilum and Belsalvis and get yourself the Barrel and the armorings for whatever slots you don't have epics in right now. You'll also wanna do the daily heroics (or just find yourself a level 400 Cybertech and Artificer) to get yourself the top purple mods and enhancements. The difference in AIM alone when I went from level 49 blue mods and armoring and Daily Armorings and Purple level 49 mods was something like 96 AIM, and that is a hefty amount of extra bonus damage and crit rate. My first recommendation would be the barrel (since it not only adds AIM but also adds Weapon Damage and a hefty upgrade in Tech Power), then all the armoring mods you need, then save up for the Rakata Implants and Earpiece (though as a cybertech I can craft an earpiece that is objectively better than the rakata earpiece in every stat except endurance by a wide margin). I'm currently working on my first implant, not sure if I'll replace my second one yet as it has 69 accuracy on it and that's harder to come by than more AIM but we'll see after I get more columni pieces.

I'll be honest that at first glace all the stats you listed seemed awfully on the low side, when taken as a whole, and I think that's just a lack of having daily mods. Since dailies will also net you a good 200k whenever you do them you should also consider, if you haven't already, investing in good purple earpieces/implants as well as a solid generator for your offhand. The ones that I've seen being sold on the GTN, when you can find them anyway, offer very nice bonuses to secondary stats, and to accuracy especially. Before I got columni head/legs I was using 2 Advanced Adept Enhancement 22s in two pieces (27 crit and 39 accuracy a piece and you can't get them from anyone but an Artificer since they aren't an option from the Ilum Daily heroic), and the rest of the enhancements were crit/surge ones that you can either buy off the GTN or get from the aforesaid Ilum Daily Heroic.

With three pieces of Epic gear (assuming Columni? Or are you rocking Rakata) you can probably forgo worrying about enhancements too much, but good implants and earpieces will stand you in good stead while you wait to farm up the daily commendations to get replacements. 120 Commendations a slot takes time if you can't get the full 25 commendations every single day, and keep in mind you should definitely get the daily mods before you even start on that and that can be 48 to 64 more commendations all on its own barring getting the nice purples from HMs, and depending whether or not you can get your hands, and want to mod out, an orange belt and pair of bracers.

Without logging on and checking, I can tell you that I'm hovering right around 1386 AIM, enough endurance to give myself about 15.5k HP, 33.86% Crit rate (trying to improve but columni enhancements all have power) 320ish Bonus Damage, 103.74%ish Accuracy Rating and a 74.5%ish Crit Multiplier, and I know the Damage(pri) listing is over 8200 which I consider to be decent if not necessarily subperb. The tech dmg obvoiusly has 10% more accuracy plus a tiny bit more bonus damage and crit rate because Cunning adds to that as well. No way is that the best there is by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't really even know if thats in any way remarkable, but it should serve as a baseline for comparison anyway, at least until more people publish their stats.

As well as your dailies and hardmodes don't forget to go back and collect any End & Aim datacrons you missed while levelling. You also have the + 10 to all stats one on the fleet if you can find a group to do it with you. Hopefully some other guildies that also need it :)

PvP for Champions gear when not in hardmodes or doing your dailies might also help you get some champion gear to fill out slots until you can replace it with Columi and Rakata.

Lot's to be doing!!

Frosty-

I've been raiding with my guild for a couple of weeks now and i have some experience and credibility with running gunnery commando in raids.

From your stats it seems youre a bit undergeared for raiding, rather, youre caught in between medic gear and dps gear.

First, you need to get rid of your alacrity mods. The rotation with ammo regeneration will go much more smoothly without swallowing ammo like Karraga the Hutt. Your goal for the next couple of days should be doing the level 50 dailies, both on belsavis and ilum. you will be able to purchase rakata (T3) implants and earpiece from daily vendors (not to mention make a pretty penny too) and most importantly you will get great mods for normal mode ops.

As far as stats go, you need to get your aim up (just through gear). My preference is aim>surge>crit>>power>accuracy. Lately i've gotten my surge rating to 420 (92% unbuffed) and i have been dishing out a ton of damage in ops. I say stack surge over crit because most gear comes with a crit/surge combo and you should have the smuggler 5% crit chance buff anyways when raiding.

As far as your skill tree goes, i would move your stockstrike damage points over to the accuracy increase in the assault tree. Also, you done need to worry about healing done, so move those points to recharge cells gives you 2 more cells. The regen health with recharge cells is more of a pvp focus, and those can be moved if it is to your fancy.

any other questions feel free to pm me

We won't know if a power build or a crit/surge build is best until we have combat logs, but due to the ammo regen from crits in the gunnery tree I think it is heavily tilted towards crit/surge at the moment. Your DPS is limited by your ammo regen, so the more you can get back the better.

I would shoot for a minimum of 30% crit. With the smuggler buff and the 15% increased crit from the 2 set bonus this puts your grav round at 50% crit. You will be refunding 1 ammo with every other grav round if you spam it continuously making the actual cost just 1.5 ammo (assuming you put points in Cell Capacitor, which you should).

The three off spec talents that are a must (IMHO) are the added ammo regen and crit from the medic tree and accuracy from the AS tree. Crit is obvious. More base accuracy allows you to move the accuracy mods out of your gear and move crit/surge back in when you hit the accuracy cap. Ammo regen is also a must since you want to burn your ammo as deep as you can during DPS spikes in Ops (final burns to kill off bosses).