Trouble gathering

BigAbes

I've searched around a bit and haven't found anyone else having this problem. It may not even be a problem and is something I'm missing- but I can't pick up a thing and my companions can't either. Select the target and Right click for me - ctrl-right click for my companion right? Nothing happens for me. I'm probably just being a noob and overlooking something.

Well two things I can think of.

First I'm assuming you have a skill like Scavenging, or Biotech. If you do the cursor should change when you put it over a node.

Second and most likely, not all the nods in the game actually work. It's something they're trying to fix, but I still run across some that show up on the mini-map and have the extra gfx around them. But you can't actually click on them.

All you have to do is right click the node, and it should start harvesting. There's a bug I've been experiencing where I can't harvest any nodes from a particular crew skill (the others are unaffected). In those cases I had to kill the client and relaunch. I can tell I have that problem when I mouse over a node and get no information for it or change in cursor.

*Edit* To clarify I mouse over several different nodes for that skill and none of them do I get a change in cursor to let me know I can harvest them. At that point I kill the client, and re-launch.

HTH

Edited by nethervoid

Press the 'N' key on your keyboard to bring up your crew management window. At the top it tells you what you have and your level in each. Generally, if you see a * icon on your map when near a resource point, you have that skill.

At that point, I'd make sure you have the correct level (it displays when you hover the mouse over the resource point) Also as someone else pointed out, not all are harvest-able yet and they are supposed to be working on it, although it did get better with the last couple of patches.

Thanks for the helps all. Sorry I have no idea if I have the skill or not. There is nothing in my abilities that shows that. Where would I check for that?
Hit N to open your Crew Window and see what skills you have. I'm guessing you will see three lines saying "See Crew Skills Trainer."

It is possible to get crew skills before getting a companion. If you do, hitting N will give you an error saying you need at least one companion before you can use the Crew Skills Window, in which case you'll have to just remember what they are.

Hit N to open your Crew Window and see what skills you have. I'm guessing you will see three lines saying "See Crew Skills Trainer."

It is possible to get crew skills before getting a companion. If you do, hitting N will give you an error saying you need at least one companion before you can use the Crew Skills Window, in which case you'll have to just remember what they are.

Not anymore, unless someone has an older character that they did it on. You now have to go through your class story on first planet before leaving.

Ah ok I see- I have cybertech, diplomacy and treasure hunting. I assume none of those allow me to gather? Do I just go to the crafting vendor and change it out- if so which one do I need. Kinda crazy it's just not a "built in" ability for everyone:confused:

Different gathering skills let you gather different things, so they can just have it "built-in."

If you are doing Cybertech, you almost certainly want Scavenging. That will allow you to gather stuff you need from junk piles and busted up droids. You could get another gathering skill, like Archeology, but you wouldn't be gathering stuff you need.

You'll also want to get Underworld Trading as your mission skill.

Not anymore, unless someone has an older character that they did it on. You now have to go through your class story on first planet before leaving.
Huh. I did have a Trooper marooned on Tython for a while, because I ran him up to the shuttle port, visited all the crew trainers on carrick, then hopped a shuttle for Tythin so I could collect codex entries, but when I was able to get a shuttle from there back to Carrick and then to Ord Mantell, and then back up to Carrick again, I figured BW just reversed the change. I guess they only reversed it for some characters.

So how and where did you learn all this? Just trial and error? There is nothing in the guide here about what to pick with what. I guess you just have to have a gathering ability and that's that. Just wish it was mentioned somewhere in the game guide or whatever. When I was able to get crew skills- I really had no clue what was the best or if one of them is better for my class. I just picked out ones that sounded cool and went with it.

Just wish the guide was better- Trying to figure too much crap out on my own:(

Thanks everyone for their input!