The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro with Ion Cylinder vs Parakeet

DynamiteHeart

Has anyone done any comparing between the two? They both have similar functions in that they have increased survivability through Ion Gas Cylinder and they both have the ability to guard.

Being full Pyro with Ion Gas Cylinder you will give up some mobility/utility for sustained and burst damage but depending on your preference that may a worthwhile trade.

Just curious if people have tried both and have an opinion.

I'm valor 65 1 pc shy of full BM and have tried all 4 primary specs: parakeet, ion w/ 31 pyro, full shield, and full pyro w/ gas cyl. Just my opinion here: bulldog (31 pyro w/ ion up) is ok but there are 2 main problems with it, no jet charge and no auto proc for dot which leads to having to use IM all the time which leads to lower burst and heat problems. Full shield is ok if you want to run huttballs and you generally run premades with some high dps guildmates. Also never need to respec to tank Pve.

I play full pyro. It sucks losing jet charge but I can kill anything in this spec. I often win 1 v 2s and even 1 v 3s. People who say Powertech dps is all aoe fluff don't know how to play pyro properly. No one outdps's me in pve, inc same gear sorcs, etc (tested). Noone comes close to me in pvp. 400k warzones are Ho-hum. 5-600k warzones are common. Most importantly I can burn down a hard to kill healer all by my lonesome.

Iwhen they implement dual spec my secondary will be parakeet for the simple reason of gaining jet charge and a smidgen of survivability (def stats are bodies in pvp, a big reason why I just say go full dps.) Plus you can tank pretty much any Pve in this build.

***why do I prioritize jet charge so much? Mobility, another stun, running the huttball.

Do not listen to everyone mate.

Going 31 in pyro and use Ion gas Cylinder is a great build.

It has a name:

BULLDOG

And uses a shield generator in offhand + Ion gas Cylinder.

Better synergy with ELIMINATOR set, full of crit-surge enhancements.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGGMs.1

8-2-31

Using this build i am pretty solid in any 1vs1, i can shot down healers, i can (hardly) defeat good marauders, i can even destroy snipers at range when my crits procs.

BE THE DOG

BE THE BULLDOG

Do not listen to everyone mate.

Going 31 in pyro and use Ion gas Cylinder is a great build.

It has a name:

BULLDOG

And uses a shield generator in offhand + Ion gas Cylinder.

Better synergy with ELIMINATOR set, full of crit-surge enhancements.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGGMs.1

8-2-31

Using this build i am pretty solid in any 1vs1, i can shot down healers, i can (hardly) defeat good marauders, i can even destroy snipers at range when my crits procs.

BE THE DOG

BE THE BULLDOG

I'm not saying bulldog sucks, but you def cannot burn down healers in that spec the way a pyro w/ gas up can. If you think you can then you aren't pyroing properly. Now having guard aVailable is huge but I prefer parakeet to dog because you retain jet charge, proc dot off RP and have explosive dart available at all times to throw after you buff and before you DFA a crowd down to %40 health (oops I TD'd one dude instead of melting 5.)

I feel I do alot more HELPING the guy running with the ball rather then running with it myself. Guard+Taunts..... Jet Charge is overrated

*Edit* I play eighter DPS (full Pyro with CGC) or support (Bulldog with IGC). I see no use of Jet Charge in those roles since I have other tools. Give Pyro Jet Charge and it would be OP

*Edit 2* If what I hear is right that they are nerfing Scrappers/Operatives I feel sorry for em. They have a hard time as it is against good players and organized teams.

Edited by PianoTie

I feel I do alot more HELPING the guy running with the ball rather then running with it myself. Guard+Taunts..... Jet Charge is overrated

*Edit* I play eighter DPS (full Pyro with CGC) or support (Bulldog with IGC). I see no use of Jet Charge in those roles since I have other tools. Give Pyro Jet Charge and it would be OP

Me too: taunt + annihilate anything attacking him. Pyro baby.

Jet charge is certainly not overrated. I miss it *tear*. But I'm too addicted to killing to give up pyro. Agreed pyro should not have charge for balance reasons.

Ya supporting a carrier is more about, like, being near the carrier and not being a dope than being a mega tank or spam healing him, etc.

Also in pyro I slap on ion from time to time if we rly need a score or to get some guard medals.:rolleyes:

Why do people care about wins and losses?

They only matter for 3 matches a day, that's it.

Gaining medals is where its at.

just spam Taunt, AOE taunt, stay alive, and you will get 3 protection medals easy.

I spec and use it for PVE and PVP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbzGhMc.1

I get 9-10 medals regularly (up to 12)

I do 350-400k damage regularly.

I don't see what the problem and why people are jumping through hoops to make some gimmick spec.

Edited by Eroex

Cool, I didn't know it had a name but I like it. I was figuring the spec would pick up both Ion Gas Cylinder skills in the Shield Tech tree so that you do have a reliable dot and snare without having to rely on IM. Maybe once I get some more gear I will have to do some comparisons of my own.

Started trying 7/3/31 with Ion and as few of the cgc talents as I could. Works ok. I've been looking for a way to have guard while still having high dps since Mandalore Imps are godawful dps as pugs. Best so far is 280k dmg 135k protection in a huttball. Would be entertaining to see what I could do in VS with a 4man and some good pugs lol.

It definitely loses a good bit of damage from full pyro, but I like the added survivability and the extra protection with Guard and the Combust skill. I still run full dps gear including no shield.

Use the shield.

If you focus on this build RS is your main dps output and the bonus on a power generator usually wont make a significant difference in terms of total dps.

The use of a shield btw have a better synergy with ion gas cylinder.

Use the shield.

If you focus on this build RS is your main dps output and the bonus on a power generator usually wont make a significant difference in terms of total dps.

The use of a shield btw have a better synergy with ion gas cylinder.

This is because Rail Shot is based off Weapon Damage(Ranged). You can check your ability type just by opening your skills window, right hand side of each one.

Why do people care about wins and losses?

They only matter for 3 matches a day, that's it.

Gaining medals is where its at.

just spam Taunt, AOE taunt, stay alive, and you will get 3 protection medals easy.

I spec and use it for PVE and PVP:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbzGhMc.1

I get 9-10 medals regularly (up to 12)

I do 350-400k damage regularly.

I don't see what the problem and why people are jumping through hoops to make some gimmick spec.

Because some people like to win and actually contribute to the team winning?

As for gimmick specs ::shrug:: everyone has a different play styles and want to try different things to see what works for them.

Some people are also probably looking forward to ranked matches and want to see which build will bring the most value to actual team play.