Beginners Guide to Juggernaut Tanking by Phottek

Phottek

Very informative guide. I haven't had a chance to read it all, yet (but I will definitely do so!), but I was able to apply some of what I have been able to read to my first Black Talon run as a Juggernaut (level 11).

One problem I did have, though, was setting up my keys in an efficient manner -- and the way I had them was not it! :eek: Any advice on hotkey setup for maximum efficiency? Good habits start early, you know! :p

Edited by Kirawyn

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea would love to see some good hotkey setups there seems too many to all be easily reached.

Here's a tip.

Q E R F V Z X C

These keys all can be binded to be used.

Any other key further right than 5 is useless.

Also, if you are able, make use of the Shift+Q etc. key as well.

I used to be the main tank for my guild before I quit WoW :p

Edited by Vachs

Great guide.

Would like to see more info on PvP and flashpoint tanking though, IE talent trees and strategies. I know you're mostly focused here on single raid boss endgame tanking, but a lot of people are going to level as some kind of hybrid of flashpoint tanker, or pvp player, and then may later transition into raid tanking or not. Especially witht eh free/cheap respecs available!

Ive started adding flashpoint guides, I will soon add World Bosses to this.

Tonight I will be adding a FAQ section that should help with some of the more common leveling questions. It also covers tips on AoE tanking etc. Layout will change to incorporate this new section. Stay tuned for an update later in the night.

First of all, excellent thread! Thanks so much for putting it together. I do have a talent question. How common is it to see elemental damage in the late game? I'm wondering how much actual effectiveness you get out of Dark Blood, specifically.

Its quite common, usually when I see my HP dropping quickly and predictably its because something made of FIRE is being channeled at me.

why is the mean mitagation (T) changed from 39 to 45?

Sorry its a typo. Gangstah changed his method from one version of the tanking primer to the next. Had to change a bunch of numbers but I guess I missed one. I will adjust the number accordingly.

Update

New FAQ section has been added. Will need a couple more passes for final spelling, grammar, flow but the meat of the section is all there.

Edited by Phottek

Phottek,

Great guide thanks for all your hard work. I do have a question when I click on the talent links I notice that on Talent 2 and Talent 3 both bring to the same talent tree on Torhead, 9 points spent in Immortal - is it just me or is doing the same for others. Also each Talent link for the different levels seems to point back to the orignal talent tree with 7 spent for Talent Link 1 and 9 spent for Talent links 2 and 3

If this has been mentioned in the prior pages of this thread my apologies as I missed it.

Thanks and keep up the work!!

Phottek,

Great guide thanks for all your hard work. I do have a question when I click on the talent links I notice that on Talent 2 and Talent 3 both bring to the same talent tree on Torhead, 9 points spent in Immortal - is it just me or is doing the same for others. Also each Talent link for the different levels seems to point back to the orignal talent tree with 7 spent for Talent Link 1 and 9 spent for Talent links 2 and 3

If this has been mentioned in the prior pages of this thread my apologies as I missed it.

Thanks and keep up the work!!

I had noted your previous post about the talent builds and checked the builds at that time. They are all working fine for me on a 3 browsers (IE,FF,Chrome)

I just checked every link again and they are still working. Build 1 and 2 are similar in that they have the same amount of points in the immortal tree, however they are in different spots.

Perhaps it is a problem with browser cookies etc as I cant seem to replicate it. If anyone else is experiencing this please let me know and i'll get back to you after trying to reproduce it a few more times.

Awesome post. I had a Sniper to 30 before deciding to try tanking. Assassin sounded good but I wasn't enjoying the resource system.

I tried Juggernaut and loving it so far, hit 25.

Is there a list of stat values yet?

I know Defense on an Enhancement is best, but if I had to pick Power or Crit, which would be better?

Straight Endurance isn't always the best, but sometimes Guardian Mods I cant find whereas I can make Might Mods easily on my Sniper.

i hate to ask but are mobs like mobs in wow where a lvl 50 raid boss is 3 lvls higher or are they just 50, im only lvl 25 so i dont know.

and looking at "the best gear" on darth hater is there a point to putting the tallent points into more accuracy when the implants give you lots of accuracy rating.

lastly assuming i have max armor would increasing our shield chance and absorbing be our best increase in stats as a pose to defense rating since avoiding damage lowers rage building

*clap clap clap* seriously mate GREAT guide!

I've always played MMO's as a healer so i was determined to get a diferent experience out of SWTOR and chose to roll a tank. This guide has gone a long way to convince me of the rightness of my choice but more important to give me the ground rules of tanking etiquette!!! thanks again!:D

Awesome guide, great stuff. A LOT of content with a great lay-out that makes it easy to search for the needed info. Thanks a bunch for the time and effort that went into this.

But I do have a question about the Immortal skill 'Revenge'. In your guide it says '33/66/100 percent chance' while in the current game it's become a 25/50 percent change. Does this change your build? Would you still recommend spending two points on that or would you allocate those differently?

Thanks!

Edited by Jodokus-K

Very nice guide that ll help a lot of starters.

I only disagrea a little about the pure tank oriented build. This one is probably a little bit more tank oriented because of the increased survivability (10% heal regen when using unleash and smaller CD on force choke (interupt skill) that is quite useful on non-boss mobs during flashpoint runs) : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fMG0uRrkuRZ0MZRr.1

Good beginning guide but I would steer away from Cyberteching especially since at 50 you get better mods thru dailies/pvp. Synthweaving gives you the option of BiS belt/bracer and Biochem is just sexy.

Also, as a MT clearing 4/5 hard and nightmare I'd add a note about Backhand, Savage Kick, and Pommel Strike being useless in raids since they don't work on bosses.

Good beginning guide but I would steer away from Cyberteching especially since at 50 you get better mods thru dailies/pvp. Synthweaving gives you the option of BiS belt/bracer and Biochem is just sexy.

Also, as a MT clearing 4/5 hard and nightmare I'd add a note about Backhand, Savage Kick, and Pommel Strike being useless in raids since they don't work on bosses.

Backhand still has a threat componant to it.. Like our only skill that actually adds to threat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.