The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro a Viable Lvling spec?

shahmat

I can only speak up until 30s, but -

Pyro was fun (I have a soft spot for proc builds in any game), killed well, but I switched to ST in order to find FP groups easier and i can tell you at least through mid 30s, I haven't noticed a significant difference in how quickly a mob dies, but I have noticed a difference in my lack of downtime.

If you're already higher than that, sorry for the unhelpful post. If you're not, I'd definitely try out ST. Once you start proccing Rocket Punches, you'll start looking like you're playing Street Fighter again.

Pyro up till the mobs get tougher - Alderaan.. then once there you may need to respec to ST so you dont die as fast.. again I've leveled to 27 with Pyro only and will start dipping into the ST tree.

I've played a Merc in beta to 44+ so Pyro imo is similar to leveling a Merc without the self heals but you have shield so ..

since Bh's get Mako so early, both are great

I'm level 47 and have been pyro since 22. I can't solo heroic 2+, but I do feel like my killing speed is much higher. I dabbled in shield tech a couple times, once at 30 for jet charge, and once at 40 when I could fill the tree out. Jet charge is a fun skill, I just didn't like the st playstyle as much as pyro. Survivability was way higher. There were a few fights as st where I'm not sure I would have survived as pyro, but I still went back.

I played pyro from the start all the way to 50 (though I did try ST and AP once or twice while leveling but just didn't like how they played so I switched back to pyro pretty quick) and never had any problems.

I just kept Mako in decent gear and never had any issues and very little down time.

No I couldn't do heroic +2's though I never actually tried since it wasn't that hard to find just one other person.

ST is safer, Pyro is faster. Choose wisely.

Does pyro get a runspeed or something? ST kills rediculously fast to 20 at least where I've gotten my alt. Although I can see how incendiary missile and superheated rail post 20 to early 30 when mobs start being harder could speed things up a good bit on silvers and golds.

And since my alt is right there I might as well experiment with that.

Does pyro get a runspeed or something? ST kills rediculously fast to 20 at least where I've gotten my alt. Although I can see how incendiary missile and superheated rail post 20 to early 30 when mobs start being harder could speed things up a good bit on silvers and golds.

And since my alt is right there I might as well experiment with that.

Nope, biggest weakness of the spec is that it has no mobility.

I prefer to use the spec that is light on downtime and quick on kill time.

shieldtech.

using Mako.

TO CRAFT.

Seriously, use your DPS companions. Gault and Torian both wreck everything if you give them a little gear love.

"What about downtime after the fight?"

There isn't any. I hit recharge/reload for the 30% health that I lost over the course of the fight and I'm right back in it. Finishing a fight at 100% with Mako takes to long, its better to just have a killy companion out and sit on the recharge button. What you lose recharging does not even compare to what you gain in killing speed.

I've found pyrotech to be an incredible leveling spec. The damage and survivability with Mako has been incredible.

Its taken me 2 days, 4 hours, and 38 minutes to get to level 40. That was with enough pvp to get the full set of level 40 gear too, which slowed down the leveling. 100% soloing, no FPs or heroics post Nar Shaddaa.

http://i.imgur.com/1ArhY.jpg

I've found pyrotech to be an incredible leveling spec. The damage and survivability with Mako has been incredible.

Its taken me 2 days, 4 hours, and 38 minutes to get to level 40. That was with enough pvp to get the full set of level 40 gear too, which slowed down the leveling. 100% soloing, no FPs or heroics post Nar Shaddaa.

http://i.imgur.com/1ArhY.jpg

only took me 2days 15 hours 30 minutes to get to 50 on a marauder... so that seems slow.

I leveled with pyro from 1-50. Wrecked thru mobs so fast with Mako healing me. With the speed you're killing mobs as pyro, there isn't really much downtime. I'd get healed to full by the time I picked up the loots(using area loot too).

You'd probably need updated gear to dish out crazy dmg as pyro. I'm using almost full customized gear (excluding earpieces,implants, etc of course). I keep my mods updated as I took cybertech as my crew skill. Commendations used mostly for Mako :p

Used a 2/8/31 spec for lvling+pvping: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhrbzGhrs.1

I've leveling into the whole Carolina Parakeet thing, 12-2-18 currently at 41, went 18 pyro as soon as I could. I play in Ion Cylinder with Mako and crush absolutely everything I run into. Heroic +2s, 100k hp+ Champions scattered about the planets; I feel like a raid boss almost when Republic try to gank me.

I will admit having a full set of level 40 pvp gear from being rank 31 (11k hp at 41) is pretty fantastic for everything; I have been rolling since long before that though. Incendiary missle into railshot then rocket/flame burst with unloads whenever I can without going too far over 40 heat. Makes sense, plays smooth and everything but me dies.

It's tempting to switch to Shield tech and roll with the lil guy but I hesitate to change what works so well.

:D

I've leveled as ST up through 39. I switched to pyro today to give it a try, and switched back after about 20 min. I died 3 times in 20 min. Sure I probably didn't have the rotation down as well, but still I was so much squishier as pyro. I don't think the dps makes up for the lack of mitigation over the long run. The easy stuff is easy in both specs, the hard stuff is much harder in pyro. 3 tough mobs and I'm using all my cd's and med packs. With ST I might use a med pack, probably none of my cd's.

I tried a bunch of different mob combo's, up to the group of 3 tough mobs.

Now, I still had all tank gear, all my mods are defensive, and I was using a shield. But I was running with CGC.

Right now I am playing a pyro, just switched from shieldtech after going 10-47 shield, and I can not kill elites without my companion dieing and me using all my cooldowns and med pack. I won't use Mako because I want to get affection with all my other companions (have her's at max) and I geared them up to about where I am. Blizz dies on elites. Skadge dies on elites. Torian dies on elites. I am then left alive to handle everything to myself, and theres a 50% chance that I will die. How are you guys doing it with pyro? I am trying everything but nothing will work. I even switch to Mako for one elite and still died.

I have been a pyro PT for 34 levels now and its fine. I never tried any other types of PT though so it's possible that it's harder. However, I am quite sure I can't solo andy Heroics. I could probably, with alot of effort, down a solo heroic mob. In fact I'm sure I can. What I can't do is kill two or three at a time. I have nothing to CC two while I take the first one out. And my defense can't take 3 hitting me at the same time.