Do you get companion affection if he/she isn't there for a conversation?

Berabouman

Topic. I was getting random affection gains in the chat window and I thought it might be because of the conversation options, but then I thought that it also might be because of the quest rewards. So I thought I would ask here to be sure.

They have to be there, but you don't actually get the points right away. When you turn in a quest, it'll give them to you, and tell you the total of all points you gained/lost during the completion of that quest.

Sometimes that can cause messages like "Gained 15 affection with T7-01" if he was with you earlier, even if he's not with you when you hand in the quest.

Nope.

I tested it.

But I noticed in some conversations (like on your ship) it will reward affection to more then one character (and during the cut screen you see both of them there.)

However, affection isn't given until a quest is over. So let's say during the quest you have your companion and gain some affection. You actually get that affection when you turn the quest in, even if you don't have the companion with you at the time....because your companion already earned it.